Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until undetermined date - was March 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

What about LCAs?

They’re due to have French and Irish orals in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Logistically, Im dying to know how is this going to work. If everything is just being pushed out to September and they are going to delay the start to the school year, then why cant the JC go ahead just like the LC???

If the school year is to go ahead as normal, then how will it work for someone with a number of Junior Cert classes who will, in September, have a full 22hr timetable of new class groups. Are they expected to undertake the supervision, setting and correcting of those tests? I get that it is unprecedented times, so let's give them a chance, but am really interested about how this will play out

I think they are continuing to buy time and as feared creating an unholy mess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

km79 wrote: »

I get where they are coming from. They needed a plan to let people know the story. So, this, is....a plan of sorts. Just have to see when the Unions, Dept. Of Ed, The Minister, JMB, SEC, all sit down and actually work through the details.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Greensoup

History and Geography projects have to be written into booklets. Geography takes a fair bit of time to write up and has to be done in school. I can’t see where the time to write up will come from. I assume art projects have weeks of work left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What about LCAs?

They’re due to have French and Irish orals in May.

They said that all practicals due to happen in May would be rescheduled for July/August too.

• Advertisement

Seems the Union and management bodies have already been in talks (according to Joe)

There will be absolutely no engagement from Leaving certs now . none. They will expect to have all the work done when we return in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yeah. It seems that way.

I'm glad the LC is going ahead. The JC should be too though. They have just given a message to the entire country that the JC isn't worth doing.

Are we actually going to be marking our own students' exams I wonder? Or supervise them and send them away? I'm really not okay with this. It isn't any better than predicted grades to be honest, it is exactly the same thing in fact.

We will have to wait to see what the details will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Strange that many other European countries could cancel their Baccalaureat, A levels, GCSE and so on. Why was that? Well they use continual assessment or a form of it in addition to a final exam.

The LC is dead going forward, continual assessment will have to replace the LC.

I do realise that there are many logistical obstacles and union issues and so on and on, but realistically it has to happen if a vaccine for this is two or more years away.

Teachers need to get on board and push for this. It is much fairer all round.

I speak as a layperson, not a teacher, so I expect a lot of information. Thanks.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yeah. It seems that way.

I'm glad the LC is going ahead. The JC should be too though. They have just given a message to the entire country that the JC isn't worth doing.

Are we actually going to be marking our own students' exams? Or supervise them and send them away? I'm really not okay with this. It isn't any better than predicted grades to be honest, it is exactly the same thing in fact.

Well apparently the union are "willing to do whatever it takes"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

I wonder will we get a few weeks off in May to make up for going back during the summer?

And I wonder will any 3rd years be working for the next 6 weeks.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that right now. This story might run and run. It's interesting that they didn't provide a timetable for the LC and won't do so until June. That says something about the hope/confidence balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

The union would. They are mostly made up of people who this doesn't affect :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The Asti can't approve teachers to assess their own pupils for state examinations purposes. You make an exception then the Rubicon is crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Strange that many other European countries could cancel their Baccalaureat, A levels, GCSE and so on. Why was that? Well they use continual assessment or a form of it in addition to a final exam.

I do realise that there are many logistical obstacles and union issues and so on and on, but realistically it has to happen if a vaccine for this is two or more years away.

I speak as a layperson, not a teacher, so I expect a lot of information. Thanks.

Why are you saying the LC is dead?
    What makes CA better?

Teachers are on board with anything that brings fairness for our students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Was any reason given why the junior cert could not happen at the same time as the leaving cert.

Those lads are about to get some kick up the hole.

This is just going to run and run
    Cab see the JC ending up being cancelled anyway
    What is the bloody point!

My head is wrecked . Defo won't be back on here till next week :D

update from ASTI
    https://asti.ie/news/head-office-easter-weekend/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Rosita wrote: »
    I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that right now. This story will might run and run. It's interesting that they didn't provide a timetable for the LC and won't do so until June. That says something about the hope/confidence balance.

Joe said it would be starting last week of July or first week of August, so they haven’t set an exact timetable yet.

This is just going to run and run
    Cab see the JC ending up being cancelled anyway
    What is the bloody point!

My head is wrecked . Defo won't be back on here till next week :D

The WhatsApp groups are buzzing. Lots of laughing emoji and wtfs. So many questions and bemusement.

Why are you saying the LC is dead?
    What makes CA better?

Teachers are on board with anything that brings fairness for our students.

LC is dead for the duration of CV. I would like to think it could happen this year for the sake of teachers and students who have put in a lot of work as always. But times have changed.

CA worked in other countries, therefore it was not a big issue to cancel the final exams. Meanwhile here, because of the nature of LC it is a huge issue now.

This virus issue will not be over in August, it will last in spikes and troughs with social distancing being a feature, realistically until a vaccine is found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

"School based exams for Junior Certs in September.........."

Some dangerous precedents will be set by all this
    "doing our bit" during this pandemic is one thing.......doing it for the rest of our careers is another. I still see FEMPI on my payslip........

Just catching up on the mayhem!! Was September specifically mentioned? All I can see is early in the new school year. I know that presumably means September but could the start of the new year be delayed if you have teachers correcting LC papers etc. Anyway the devil is in the detail as they say and may God have mercy on us all😀😀

Why? Maybe teachers don't necessarily agree with your view point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Seriously deferring the JC until September in some form of classroom tests is utter nonsense

Surely it was more feasible to give predictive grades

The majority of the third years country have switched off from this evening,

Why? Maybe teachers don't necessarily agree with your view point?

True, but why would teachers object to a CA system like most other European countries use?

That system has saved those countries from all the angst and disruption/uncertainty for both teachers and students here for the past few weeks. They could just cancel the finals and use the CA as a result.

I do understand that it is a very tough situation here, and I am not judging anyone, but going forward, something has to change since CV is not going anywhere until a vaccine is found.

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Just catching up on the mayhem!! Was September specifically mentioned? All I can see is early in the new school year. I know that presumably means September but could the start of the new year be delayed if you have teachers correcting LC papers etc. Anyway the devil is in the detail as they say and may God have mercy on us all����

This is from the Indo:
    As part of the changes to the Junior Cycle, discussions will take place with teacher unions and school management to allow these exams, linked Classroom-Based Assessments, Assessment Tasks and project work to be completed as school-based assessments early in the next school year.

If they want the LC to run in August and get teachers to mark the papers, they can't be in two places at once. It would make sense to have whatever type of assessment for JCs take place in earlier september, supervised by whatever teachers are not marking.

There's no reason that the papers that were drafted for this year and would probably be printed at this stage couldn't be distributed to schools in September and use those for assessment.

C__MC wrote: »
    Seriously deferring the JC until September in some form of classroom tests is utter nonsense

Surely it was more feasible to give predictive grades

The majority of the third years country have switched off from this evening,

It is creating more issues than necessary
    Really should just have been cancelled

But maybe thats the plan and it is a bargaining chip/a stick

Happy Easter I am out !!!!!1

This is from the Indo:

If they want the LC to run in August and get teachers to mark the papers, they can't be in two places at once. It would make sense to have whatever type of assessment for JCs take place in earlier september, supervised by whatever teachers are not marking.

There's no reason that the papers that were drafted for this year and would probably be printed at this stage couldn't be distributed to schools in September and use those for assessment.

and then we work June 2021 to make up the lost time for other year groups
    and LC again takes place in July
    and we stay like that forever more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

It is creating more issues than necessary
    Really should just have been cancelled

But maybe thats the plan and it is a bargaining chip/a stick

Happy Easter I am out !!!!!1

Me 2
    Adious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

TheDriver wrote: »
    Think of the poor 3rd years going into 5th year and doing junior cert class exams? Don't see how it works

A lot are doing fourth year like mine, they’re delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It Is ASTI policy not to assess our own pupils for state examinations. I know you TUIs don't object to this but it's incredible how people assume that this major policy has just been thrown out. It hasn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement