Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Covid19?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ah stop, I was hoping this was the perfect excuse to stop doing bulgarian split squats! :pac::pac::p

First night was Bulgarian Split Squats with 30X0 tempo. Felt it in quads after...and the day after

i can only do single leg box jumps onto the couch on my right leg

that's the end of my story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

bluewolf wrote: »
    i can only do single leg box jumps onto the couch on my right leg

that's the end of my story

I can't even do a box jump with both legs onto a phone book (remember them? :cool:) - I know it's all in my mind but seriously one leg?? :eek::eek::eek:

Finding that tempo can make the work more effective than I anticipated from a 12kg kettlebell. Not to mention the high reps. Still feeling it in the glutes hams and quads primarily from goblet squats and tempo single leg RDLs on Friday night.

Modifying by changing/adding tempo and bands now just for some variation.

And well for some of us the "warm up" red band is more than enough for OHP :o:o:o

And well for some of us the "warm up" red band is more than enough for OHP :o:o:o

Nothing wrong with that. I just had a go of it there to compare with KB and I'd probably do a few more reps for the same effect but I wouldn't say there is a massive difference in 'weight' at the top, but I'm possibly taller than you so get a few more kgs at the top :)

I can't even do a box jump with both legs onto a phone book (remember them? :cool:) - I know it's all in my mind but seriously one leg?? :eek::eek::eek:

someone mentioned it elsewhere and i was like i've never heard of this i have to try it
    i tried a few more times but keep landing on both feet

saw this video as well of single leg squats i might try again, back onto a chair or something

bluewolf wrote: »
    someone mentioned it elsewhere and i was like i've never heard of this i have to try it
    i tried a few more times but keep landing on both feet

saw this video as well of single leg squats i might try again, back onto a chair or something

Yeah I remember one of the lads I train with doing those - single leg squats...well, lowering onto a box/chair - cos he to build back some basics after injury. Was really cool seeing the level of control increase and imbalance even out over time

When you break down a set of 16 reps into 4 x 4 minisets to help you keep count :cool::cool:...

....and then lose count of whether you are on the 3rd or 4th miniset :o:o

When you break down a set of 16 reps into 4 x 4 minisets to help you keep count :cool::cool:...

....and then lose count of whether you are on the 3rd or 4th miniset :o:o

Was always forgetting so if I do that now I count like:

1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-1, 2-2 etc

• Advertisement

Oh nice - thanks!

Also works for sets of tempo things
    Like a 4s tempo squat x 4 reps:
    1 2 3 4, 2 2 3 4, 3 2 3 4, 4 2 3 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How is everyone home training going?

Have found the bands to be actually really great. Have 2 nice little routines done up that should see me through now.

How is everyone home training going?

Have found the bands to be actually really great. Have 2 nice little routines done up that should see me through now.

Pretty good. Have two different bands and a 12kg kettlebell and have two workouts but have been changing tempo and incorporating bands to add some variation. Had 3 days of DOMS after the workout that involved goblet squats with the 12kg kettlebell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cables are fun , off doors , windows. Might be fooling myself as to the amount Im doing but seems ok for upper body. Started something called jo-ging or jog-ing , has potential.

507744.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm doing a full body twice per week, and a lot more time on the spin bike than normal. In the gym I'd usually do 4 days weights & 2 days spin.

Currently using a couple of bands and a couple of KBs for the following

A1 4 x Push ups AMRAP
    A2 4 x KB squats (varying reps & tempo by session)

B single arm OHP - red band 5 x 10 reps

C1 4 x KB One arm row
    C2 4 x KB swings

D1 3 x KB sumo squat
    D2 3 x one arm KB floor press

If time/energy finish with some tricep pull downs / lateral raises with a band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'm similar to others here, doing full-body (ish) at least twice a week, but aiming for 3 - 4 times a week.

I've various bands and a 24kg kettlebell.

Workout A
    - Pushups
    - KB Single Leg Romanian Deadlift (Balance is an issue, not really feeling them)
    - Tricep Pushdown with band
    - Bicep Curl with band
    - Bent Over Row with band
    - Shoulder Press with band
    - Crunch

Worout B
    - Pushups (no other chest option)
    - KB Goblet Sumo Squat (I don't have the flexibility in my ankles to do a normal squat without my heels coming up)
    - Tricep Pushdown with band
    - Bicep Curl with band
    - Lat Raise with band
    - Superman
    - Plank

Running at least 3 times a week and doing yoga/foam rolling at least 3 times a week.

Overall, it's fine. I'm not particularly enjoying the workouts, I feel like I'm just going through the motions and the lack of space is a hindrance with motivation. The runs are going well though, C25K helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

When does everyone expect to see the inside of a gym again? Weeks? Months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

sp00k wrote: »
    When does everyone expect to see the inside of a gym again? Weeks? Months?

My guess is we'll be phasing out restrictions in the reverse order they came in, hopefully just another few weeks.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    My guess is we'll be phasing out restrictions in the reverse order they came in, hopefully just another few weeks.

I would be surprised if it was just a few weeks, to be honest. It's very difficult to manage distancing which will possibly be one of the criteria for lifting restrictions. Obviously, I could be wrong but I wouldn't expect most gyms to be open before June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Saudades

Does anyone know if the supplement store in Smithfield square is still open during the lockdown?

I've googled it but I can't find the name or website.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    make you right there, june at the earliest unfortunately
    if we all head back to normal overnight the virus will start rising again.

im tweaking here with no gym but i found a forestry nearby with logs cut down ready to load so im doing a few lift of them daily and resistance bands arent as bad as i thought
    gutted i didnt get any dumbbells before the rush

There's a lot you can do with lighter loads by manipulating things like tempo and reps and doing more unilateral exercises.

Got a pair of handles for the heavier-duty resistance bands cos they kept twisting in my hands when I looked for more resistance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just like less pollution sees nature taking over, not holding barbells means my callouses are gone and my hands feel feminine.

Saudades wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the supplement store in Smithfield square is still open during the lockdown?

I've googled it but I can't find the name or website.

BulkPowders are still delivering

Found my long, lost Rehbands last night.

I think they have COVID-19 judging by the smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

myprotein are still delivering too with constant offers on like buy one get one free

Are delivery times/fees affected?

i only ordered last night so im not 100% sure but the website says normal service is running so heres hoping
    as for delivery fees, they are the same as normal spend 60 for free delivery, i think my postage was 4 euro

Lovely thanks!

BulkPowders was here in 2 days for me

Will hit up MyProtein if there is buy one get one free too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

the offers are changing every couple of days since the gyms closed

as in getting better?

Gotta say - deadlifts with the green band aren't too shabby at all!

Don't ask me about them in 36 hours' time mind you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The things I got are more like tubes with handles and a thing to put on the doorframe, they are much better than I expected for €25

I ordered bands off Pigsback just over 2 weeks ago. Were supposed to arrive last week but now they’ve said the end of this week...hopefully. I know I could Do other things but between that and busting my knee it’s put me right off. So frustrating. I am getting out for a long walk once a day. Better than nothing I suppose

L'prof wrote: »
    I ordered bands off Pigsback just over 2 weeks ago. Were supposed to arrive last week but now they’ve said the end of this week...hopefully. I know I could Do other things but between that and busting my knee it’s put me right off. So frustrating. I am getting out for a long walk once a day. Better than nothing I suppose

Plenty of exercises you can do in the meantime using chairs, sofa etc.

Obviously some sort of resistance would be ideal, but you can slow down rep time to increase time under tension .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some simple ones here, I like the idea of Around the world pushups

https://twitter.com/PearnoTweeeeets/status/1248716343073017856

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement