Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why in 2020 is Tesco the only store in Ireland to do online grocery shopping

Options
  • 12-03-2020 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Why in 2020 in a supposedly but not really civilized modern society with the internet and computers is Tesco the only company in Ireland to do online shopping?
    Dunnes or Lidl or Aldi etc. make you go to their stores to buy anything.
    (Of course every greedy basterd who lives in a town bulk buys for themselves so you can't get anything).
    Anyway as a result Tesco don't have to compete and have a terrible website where you can't even enter your address to register.
    If you ring them up they leave you hanging on listening to their stupid freaking same tune over and over again until you say screw this and give up.
    Also Tesco's phone network is rubbish I couldn't make a phonecall all frigging day.
    So anyway after 20 minutes of waiting I finally get through to Tesco's phone system I have to tell your one on the phone my freaking address so she can enter it in on her end.
    She gets my freaking eircode wrong and I discover the whole thing was a bloody waste of time because I'd have to wait nearly 2 weeks to get anything delivered.
    This is what happens when you have a monopoly and no-one wants to compete.
    You get crap or nothing.

Comments

Supervalue do aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Super valu deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ever hear of Supervalu? Or Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Online grocery shopping costs the retailers too much. People want the service for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ardkeen stores in Waterford do online delivered shopping so it's not just the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Dunnes don't do online grocery shopping.
    I was trying to order wine.
    Supervalu wine deals aren't very good.
    Anyway nevermind forget it.
    It's useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Why in 2020 in a supposedly but not really civilized modern society with the internet and computers is Tesco the only company in Ireland to do online shopping?
    Dunnes or Lidl or Aldi etc. make you go to their stores to buy anything.
    (Of course every greedy basterd who lives in a town bulk buys for themselves so you can't get anything).
    Anyway as a result Tesco don't have to compete and have a terrible website where you can't even enter your address to register.
    If you ring them up they leave you hanging on listening to their stupid freaking same tune over and over again until you say screw this and give up.
    Also Tesco's phone network is rubbish I couldn't make a phonecall all frigging day.
    So anyway after 20 minutes of waiting I finally get through to Tesco's phone system I have to tell your one on the phone my freaking address so she can enter it in on her end.
    She gets my freaking eircode wrong and I discover the whole thing was a bloody waste of time because I'd have to wait nearly 2 weeks to get anything delivered.
    This is what happens when you have a monopoly and no-one wants to compete.
    You get crap or nothing.

There are a small group of people for whom online grocery shopping is a godsend due to maybe health issues, age or not having transport, for most though it's an excuse to spend more time sitting on their holes getting more and more obese.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Online grocery shopping costs the retailers too much. People want the service for nothing.

I'd be happy to pay for delivery if the service was available.
    It isn't.
    Who's going to pay a fiver to wait for nearly 2 weeks for groceries.
    It's beyond crap.
    Tesco can't be putting a whole lot of money into their online ordering if it's going to be that useless.
    I mean like really.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Online grocery delivery is loss making, that's why...

https://www.ft.com/content/8aa756ac-3c35-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I detest the person on the checkout mauling and squashing my food, the last thing I want is to add a delivery system to that chain.

Wherever possible I use self checkout or scan and shop to keep the amount of bread squashing to an absolute minimum.

I'm sorry I'm not registered with the Financial Times :D

Dunnes don't do online grocery shopping.
    I was trying to order wine.
    Supervalu wine deals aren't very good.
    Anyway nevermind forget it.
    It's useless.

So the title should have been “Why are Tesco the only shop to do cheap wine deliveries”.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

I find Tesco online shopping very good, using the website rather than the app. Never had any problem phoning them either.

2 hour time slots.

Never had a missed delivery in 12 months. Its free for over 65's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wherever possible I use self checkout or scan and shop to keep the amount of bread squashing to an absolute minimum.

I detest the person on the checkout mauling and squashing my food, the last thing I want is to add a delivery system to that chain.

I've been getting weekly Tesco deliveries now for nearly 3 years and I can't believe more people don't do it. It's like a life hack nobody seems to have picked up on. We live 30 mins drive from shops, so the €10 per month delivery charge more than covers the price.

We used to go out once a Saturday, would heave a trolley around buying loads of unnecessary sh*te with yellow stickers on, it would take easily 3 hours with queues and traffic etc.

It's extremely easy to give them something back if you don't like the look of it (squashed bread), and because they know that they are careful to select the good stuff for you. If something is missing, they will generally replace it with something better and refund you the difference e.g. missing a €6 steak, here's a €10 one instead etc.

I've been getting weekly Tesco deliveries now for nearly 3 years and I can't believe more people don't do it. It's like a life hack nobody seems to have picked up on. We live 30 mins drive from shops, so the €10 per month delivery charge more than covers the price.

We used to go out once a Saturday, would heave a trolley around buying loads of unnecessary sh*te with yellow stickers on, it would take easily 3 hours with queues and traffic etc.

It's extremely easy to give them something back if you don't like the look of it (squashed bread), and because they know that they are careful to select the good stuff for you. If something is missing, they will generally replace it with something better and refund you the difference e.g. missing a €6 steak, here's a €10 one instead etc.

I'd have to plan my shopping 2 weeks in advance.
    Call me fussy but I just don't find that convenient.
    Maybe it's because of the Coronavirus that it's that bad I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Been using Tescos online shopping every week for years now rarely ever any issues.

The website was arseways today because of people panic buying. There where very little delivery slots usually it wouldn't be a problem.

I'd normally order my shopping mid week for a Friday or Saturday morning delivery and just update things if needed up to the last minute the night before.

My only issue with it is sometimes there's no pictures for certain products online and the odd time an item will go missing from your list but it's rare.

I don't drive so it's handy in that sense and find I spend less as I'm only buying what I need as I plan the list ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Are you basing your opinions on relatively long-term experience of online shopping or have you only started doing it in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The online shopping & delivery service is so cheap that it must be loss making . Tesco and SuperValu are the only ones willing to do it .

I’ve been using it for years and it’s a great service . I’ve never had a problem booking a slot with 48 hours notice.

I had a delivery on Wednesday. Everything in stock.

This week isn’t a typical week in retail in Ireland .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Supervalu click and collect is a handy service also. Usually though I just go to the supervalu at 8/9 pm during the week. Shelves full and place is empty. Absolute bliss.

buyme does deliveries from Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wish I could get a delivery from Tesco but I think I am way too far out. Would love a huge box of their 10 cent noodles...

Supervalu are great. But no 10 cent noodles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

It would be, we save a basket / slot during the week, add to it when we think of things, checkout Sunday evening before 11pm and it arrives in the slot we asked for when the basket was first set up (usually we get Monday afternoon). So literally you can be sticking things in your basket less than 12 hours before you want the food to appear at your door if you book the first slot of the day.

This week have to get it delivered on Tuesday instead of Monday due to the panic buying.

I find the 3 or 4 hours of hassle I save every weekend though really valuable, don't tell them this but if Tesco wanted to they could charge me €50 a month and I would still probably do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

huskerdu wrote: »
    The online shopping & delivery service is so cheap that it must be loss making . Tesco and SuperValu are the only ones willing to do it .

I’ve been using it for years and it’s a great service . I’ve never had a problem booking a slot with 48 hours notice.

I had a delivery on Wednesday. Everything in stock.

This week isn’t a typical week in retail in Ireland .

yeah its hard to see how they make money from it. Im about 18km from a Tesco store yet they deliver to me for as little as 3 euro which when you take into account the picking, packing and actual delivery it is an absolute bargain. Even better for OAPs who get delivery for free, Id say it is a lifesaver for many of them so fair play to Tesco for doing it.

They also send me 15 euro off a 75 euro spend vouchers about every 3-4 months. I think I get them because I dont use it all the often and they're trying to tempt me in deeper by sending out vouchers. Ive used them when premium cuts of meat have 33% off and managed to fill the freezer for just 60 quid and the 3 euro delivery. Its also handy for me for bulky stuff like kitchen rolls as Im on a motorbike and they're a pain to get home as a single packet of 4 takes up a lot of space in a small backpack.

Supervalu click and collect is a handy service also. Usually though I just go to the supervalu at 8/9 pm during the week. Shelves full and place is empty. Absolute bliss.

buyme does deliveries from Lidl.

First thing Saturday morning for me and same. It’s actually a pleasure without all the other *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

you just put in one item to book the slot and check out and then the day before go back in and edit your basket.

I'm doing my online shop since about 2006 and it's a god send for me, but the slots are getting hard to get. I book my slots a 3 weeks in advance.

Advertisement