Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrants on Greek islands to be offered €2,000 to go home

Options
  • 13-03-2020 6:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/eu-to-offer-2000-to-migrants-willing-to-go-home-from-greek-islands?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I agree with foreign aid to the people in the countries they're coming from. I understand it is more cost effective to reduce economic migration in that way than it is to deal with at the other end. I also get that the camps are overwhelmed and represent a humanitarian crisis, and that this can be seen as an emergency measure.

But it's obviously going to incentivise economic migrants. If they do go home it will be with money and info which will make more come. Surely the resources would be better spent on trying to help the genuine refugees, which includes policing against abusers and ejecting people who shouldn't be there. The camps are known to be hotbeds of abuse for women and children.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2018/10/women-daily-dangers-refugee-camps-greece/

I don't think it's a huge leap to suppose that most of the abusers are there by choice. Genuine refugees are extraordinarily vulnerable people and letting wolves prey among them is obviously terrible. Instead of paying them off, put the resources into improving policing of the camps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/eu-to-offer-2000-to-migrants-willing-to-go-home-from-greek-islands?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I agree with foreign aid to the people in the countries they're coming from. I understand it is more cost effective to reduce economic migration in that way than it is to deal with at the other end. I also get that the camps are overwhelmed and represent a humanitarian crisis, and that this can be seen as an emergency measure.

But it's obviously going to incentivise economic migrants. If they do go home it will be with money and info which will make more come. Surely the resources would be better spent on trying to help the genuine refugees, which includes policing against abusers and ejecting people who shouldn't be there. The camps are known to be hotbeds of abuse for women and children.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2018/10/women-daily-dangers-refugee-camps-greece/

I don't think it's a huge leap to suppose that most of the abusers are there by choice. Genuine refugees are extraordinarily vulnerable people and letting wolves prey among them is obviously terrible. Instead of paying them off, put the resources into improving policing of the camps.

How will they get home, they have paid traffickers to get them there in the first place.

Interesting fact the trafficers charge less in winter as it more chance of drowning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

what could go wrong ?

I bet no one will take the 2k and then sneak back into europe and claim asylum ... no no no

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"so here's 2 grand cash"

"thanks"

"you gonna leave now?"

"why would i leave?"

"on account of the 2 grand i gave you"

"what 2 grand?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

It doesn't incentivise further migrants because it's only available to those that arrived before 1st Jan.
    What it will do is incentivise those that thought the streets of Europe were paved in gold and gibs, and now sit in squalid refugee camps in Greece to perhaps consider the poor choice they made and go home.
    It's still a stop-gap measure that isn't going to achieve much more than temporarily clearing a little space for the next wave to arrive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Typical European half-assed approach to dealing with a problem, but traffickers charge €3,000 - €5,000 to get to Europe, so they still have to earn funds to return.

The Aussies have found the only solution to this by denying asylum to anyone who tries to sneak into the country via boat and detain them on an offshore island. The boats stopped coming to keep right-wingers happy and people stopped drowning, which is what the left claim they want, but we all know most left-wing politicians see these people as futures voters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement