Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 School Closures - Activities for children

Options
  • 13-03-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

As we come to terms with the logistical challenges and balancing work/child minding with the school closures, it seems likely that many of the usual places parents bring children for entertainment/exercise around Kildare are now, or will likely be closed for some time. There's only so much Netflix can be watched.

What are you planning to do? What activities or amenities will remain open in County Kildare or local counties? The Zoo is one of our regular haunts, which is now closed. We'll still have great parks like Castletown or Catherine's park but really need the weather to improve to enjoy properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

As we come to terms with the logistical challenges and balancing work/child minding with the school closures, it seems likely that many of the usual places parents bring children for entertainment/exercise around Kildare are now, or will likely be closed for some time. There's only so much Netflix can be watched.

What are you planning to do? What activities or amenities will remain open in County Kildare or local counties? The Zoo is one of our regular haunts, which is now closed. We'll still have great parks like Castletown or Catherine's park but really need the weather to improve to enjoy properly.

Nowhere that other children will be congregating so playgrounds, attractions, play centres are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

I'm afraid we all just need to suck it up.

If we all really properly limit our interactions the sooner this will hopefully be over without too much damage to our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

How about putting them out in the back garden with a ball or a stick? :D

*Disclaimer* I don't have children, so I'm not sure how successful this suggestion would be. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Could try this for a few hours of peace
    babysitting-gave-my-nephews-5-each-told-them-to-hold-23202937.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 making the mistake of telling my father I was bored - I was handed a shovel and told to start scraping the accumulated dirt and oil from the floor of the garage workshop. I should have known better, and it must have been autumn or winter because in summer we made sure to be up, fed and out of sight, before father got up in the morning or you would spend your day weeding the garden or hoeing the weeds in the driveway.

If it stays dry you would adopt a similar strategy :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not much use to you now, but this where introducing kids to libraries at a young age is a big plus. Though closed now, regular borrowers now have a load of stuff at hand to read, watch etc as they are always kind of taking home weeks worth of stuff.

(Speaking as someone who works in one)

We had parents in all week (regulars) taking out stacks of books just in case.

Today we had a load of moany dopes banging on our door asking why they couldn't come in because their kids are board. We are not daycare and that's all a few of them wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Some ideas from my grandkids school:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t3DwuGOg1Rs5sEZ-JRiAvOVVSWUoBU4_/view

A Facebook page: Cool Apps For Schools

And: https://www.gonoodle.com/

Advertisement