Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post credit cats and verification. Possible identity fraud

• 13-03-2020 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

So currently have a credit card. Had it with years. Decided to transfer the balance to avail of an posts 0 percent rate.

Applied online. Very very easy. Too easy in fact. Filled in my details, uploaded a few docs following day they rang, checked my security questions and said card was on its way.

All good you may say but it has just dawned on me that someone could have easily have applied for a card using my information if they wanted to my payslip and a bill could easily have been intercepted through the post or by a caller to my house and driving licence and passport while a bit harder to obtain could have been obtained if someone was crafty enough. I signed no credit agreement, no nothing. To be honest I’m a little bit alarmed by all this, is there something I’m missing ??? In comparison I took out a credit union loan few months ago and by god I must have signed my name a dozen times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Would you like a large or extra large tin foil hat sir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Would you like a large or extra large tin foil hat sir

Ah no but genuinely. It was way too easy to get the credit card. Zero checks to make sure I was who I said I was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

adam88 wrote: »
    Ah no but genuinely. It was way too easy to get the credit card. Zero checks to make sure I was who I said I was

And if they made you jump through hoops to open an account you’d probably be complaining about that too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

they wanted to my payslip and a bill could easily have been intercepted through the post or by a caller to my house and driving licence and passport while a bit harder to obtain could have been obtained if someone was crafty enough.

First of all it is there responsibility to decide what they need in order to grant you a card, if they want to take chance on it, it is also their loss. Have you actually got the card yet, is it active and what is the limit on it? Very often is is cheap to give out a card with a low limit and check things out later when they want to up the credit limit. Remember they are trying to attract customers not knock them back.

As for the rest, here is a little excise to demonstrate how hard it actually is to get your hands on documents... try getting your hands on a copy of your neighbours payslip. Do you know when he is paid, does he get his payslip at the office or by post, if by post which date is going to arrive and how are you going to actually get your hands on it from the postman?

There is too much hard work in it, to make it worth any random individual's time. If this kind of thing is going to happen, then it will almost certainly be someone in your own household that would be in a position to do it.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    First of all it is there responsibility to decide what they need in order to grant you a card, if they want to take chance on it, it is also their loss. Have you actually got the card yet, is it active and what is the limit on it? Very often is is cheap to give out a card with a low limit and check things out later when they want to up the credit limit. Remember they are trying to attract customers not knock them back.

As for the rest, here is a little excise to demonstrate how hard it actually is to get your hands on documents... try getting your hands on a copy of your neighbours payslip. Do you know when he is paid, does he get his payslip at the office or by post, if by post which date is going to arrive and how are you going to actually get your hands on it from the postman?

There is too much hard work in it, to make it worth any random individual's time. If this kind of thing is going to happen, then it will almost certainly be someone in your own household that would be in a position to do it.

Ya that sort of my worry too.

Credit limit of 12k

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ya that sort of my worry too.

Credit limit of 12k

So have you figured out how to get your neighbors documents?

No. Not unless I was friendly with them and called around one day. Just got me thinking of a few people I have in my house from time to time such as a cleaner. I have 100 faith in her and trust her a lot but if someone was capable, it would be fierce easy to set up and account.

No. Not unless I was friendly with them and called around one day. Just got me thinking of a few people I have in my house from time to time such as a cleaner. I have 100 faith in her and trust her a lot but if someone was capable, it would be fierce easy to set up and account.

The correspondence/cards etc would still be sent to your address so whoever opened the account would also need to intercept the post.

16k limit. €15.2k Free for a year, with 1% monthly payments. This after I had the same amount with Avant directly for 9 months.

It can be very useful.

They do a credit check and phone you. Pin and card sent to your address. Neither have been used.

Although I was a little surprised they transferred the funds by taking the details over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

adam88 wrote:

You found that easy? You never had MBNA card so. There is a reason they ran out of ireland with their tail between their legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I can assure you, stringent tests were done.

They no longer need you to confirm your details, technology can now do that once a certain amount of information is uploaded.

The most basic would have the the credit register. Then the electoral role, your pps number and most likely you provided your passport.

Even just a passport alone can allow certain security companies give the all clear to a client within a few minutes regarding someone's identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Thats those credit CATS for you 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

16k limit. €15.2k Free for a year, with 1% monthly payments. This after I had the same amount with Avant directly for 9 months.

It can be very useful.

They do a credit check and phone you. Pin and card sent to your address. Neither have been used.

Although I was a little surprised they transferred the funds by taking the details over the phone.

an post card is a branded avantcard credit card - in effect you were making an internal transfer :)

silver2020 wrote: »
    an post card is a branded avantcard credit card - in effect you were making an internal transfer :)

They took transfer details from me to send to KBC, all over the phone and no additional security or written instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

The correspondence/cards etc would still be sent to your address so whoever opened the account would also need to intercept the post.

If someone managed to somehow get your payslip and bank statement to get a credit card,surely the postal address to deliver the card being different would raise a red flag and warrant a phone call at least from an post. One would hope so!

silver2020 wrote: »

No, one was paid off first. Second taken out separately. I doubt they'd have allowed a direct transfer. This amount will be cleared in full before 12 months are up.

Advertisement