Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is COVID 19 worse than the Swine Flu?

Options
  • 13-03-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been reading a lot about this lately. I remember a bit about the Swine flu at the time but never realise how bad it was.

There were up to 1.2 billion people infected with the Swine Flu outbreak and anywhere between 200,000 and 500,000 deaths. Ireland had 475 deaths.

Obviously twitter, smartphones and instagram have helped bring Covid 19 more into the spotlight, but is it any worse than the Swine Flu? I know the swine flu was devastating but it didn't seem to cause the panic we're now witnessing. I also know that the death rate for C19 is around 3.4% right now but that's because of massive under testing. South Korea is probably the best place to look for the mortality rate as they do the most testing and it's at 0.5% and likely to drop further.

I understand the issue here will be if hospitals get over crowded then deaths will explode, but how did we cope with the Swine Flu? How long can we shut everything down before the economy can't take anymore?

Just for perspective, I agree with the shut down, but I can't see it last more than a month as then not only will it then be a health risk, it'll also probably cause the deepest recession ever seen. There is going to be massive job losses and personal misery brought upon those that don't even suffer symptoms of this disease.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement