Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,168 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why yikes? Better off.

We would be if we weren't allowing them to fly into Ireland, it's a one way ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

There should be a large jump in today's briefing but before people go crazy - it is due to an acceleration in getting test results back.
    It was taking nearly a day before but since yesterday they are getting results back in 4 hours.

So today's new cases figure will essentially be for 2 days and not 1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭threeball

Amirani wrote: »
    I'm not sure how we'd go about closing the land border with Northern Ireland.

Its time we insist that the UK allow NI follow our lead. Its for the benefit of both parts of the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Given that some very high profile pubs announced their closure today I would think that is what is coming now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭Jenbach110

shesty wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-dublin-pubs-grogan-s-and-anseo-to-close-for-two-weeks-1.4203438?mode=amp
    Hoping this is the start of pub closures.Hoping there is a realisation that we do this properly for 2-3 weeks and maybe get over it, or we do it halfheartedly and end up having to continue it for 5-6 weeks.2 very popular restaurants near us have now closed their doors too.
    For what we want to achieve 2 weeks is hopeless, minimum 3 months I think is required to have any effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will RTE be showing it live or will we need to see it on Sky News?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Where can we watch it? RTE news now is just looping news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

d51984 wrote: »

Go on to their own facebook page and look for yourself you clown.

Maybe the wrong one but I just see lots of Cheltenham stuff - not a good look at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

shesty wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-dublin-pubs-grogan-s-and-anseo-to-close-for-two-weeks-1.4203438?mode=amp
    Hoping this is the start of pub closures.Hoping there is a realisation that we do this properly for 2-3 weeks and maybe get over it, or we do it halfheartedly and end up having to continue it for 5-6 weeks.2 very popular restaurants near us have now closed their doors too.

Why would anyone "hope" for places to close. Its people out of work for god knows how long.

Yes places will probably eventually close but let's remember its alot of people out of work so I think hoping for places to close is the wrong way to put it.

Tourism and hospitality workers wont have the contracts for pay while they're closed.

A staggered closure or partial closure would be best at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Kalico92 wrote: »
    Myself and the other half are living in London at the moment and the inaction over here is unbelievable.

Really need to take a leave out of ROI's book, that is if it's not too late for the UK

Live in Manchester myself. I work in a small office, 2 of my bosses coughed almost simultaneously yesterday, and joked about "who brought the corona in here?", both of them constantly cough without covering their mouths, one even sneezed into his hand the other day and rubbed it in his pants. Both are in their 40s with kids ffs.

Nobody gives a **** over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

loganjo1 wrote: »
    I posted yesterday regarding South Korean testing data. I’ve just rerun the calculations on latest data published ion worldometers. As of 9th March they had run 210144 tests yielding 7500 cases, a prevalence of 3.6%. Translating to the population of 51.5 million yields an estimate of 1.86 million cases. The death count as of today is 71. This gives a refreshed estimate of 0.0038%, or 38 deaths per million cases. This translates to an Irish death count of 190. But that’s assuming a worst case scenario that we all get infected. Hopefully the measures we are taking re hand washing and social distancing will reduce the transmission and we will end up with a much reduced death count.

Ah that does sound really positive.
    More of this required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

This points-scoring nonsense drives me nuts. The thread already has a post rate of one every 21 seconds, without the need for this crap adding to it. Obviously, the only people who think this is a flu are trolls on here, who should be ignored.

I see plenty of people all around me (not in interweb land) who are going on business as usual... not following advice with social distancing etc. These people are not trolls, they're just normal people who are not heeding advice and not taking this serious!

I'm not scoring points. Obviously, it still needs to be made clear to many people! What is happening in Italy might be our reality very soon... possibly within a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

When the **** willpeople wake up as to how serious this is? National lockdown needs to be implemented NOW TODAY.

It doesn't that over the top right now.

When the **** willpeople wake up as to how serious this is? National lockdown needs to be implemented NOW TODAY.

Just because you keep posting about this doesnt mean it's going to happen. We heard you the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭circadian

Why would anyone "hope" for places to close. Its people out of work for god knows how long.

Yes places will probably eventually close but let's remember its alot of people out of work so I think hoping for places to close is the wrong way to put it.

Tourism and hospitality workers wont have the contracts for pay while they're closed

Oh right, let's continue with the pandemic so. The government should be implementing measures to either support staff or support employers to pay staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Any links to the press conference folks?? RTE News Now just showing previous news..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

loganjo1 wrote: »
    I posted yesterday regarding South Korean testing data. I’ve just rerun the calculations on latest data published ion worldometers. As of 9th March they had run 210144 tests yielding 7500 cases, a prevalence of 3.6%. Translating to the population of 51.5 million yields an estimate of 1.86 million cases. The death count as of today is 71. This gives a refreshed estimate of 0.0038%, or 38 deaths per million cases. This translates to an Irish death count of 190. But that’s assuming a worst case scenario that we all get infected. Hopefully the measures we are taking re hand washing and social distancing will reduce the transmission and we will end up with a much reduced death count.

Can you explain what is happening in Northern Italy's ICUs please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tourism and hospitality workers wont have the contracts for pay while they're closed

For the obvious reasons. There are stuff more important in life than jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tiddles_1

• Advertisement

Jenbach110 wrote: »
    Ah that does sound really positive.
    More of this required
    It's very wrong as well, because just because people have been tested and confirmed negative, doesn't mean they won't later test positive.

Dangerous misinformation leads to complacency and God knows we have enough of that. Just hope for the best but prepare for the worst, it's happening and we'll come out of it stronger if we're clever and careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Any links to the press conference folks?? RTE News Now just showing previous news..

Keep watching... when it starts, they will go live. These are not perfectly scheduled events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

voluntary wrote: »
    Am I seeing this right? Thousands of people attended citizenship ceremony today?

That's a repeat, was last weekend I think. The young lad with his Corona virus comments will be embarrassed

Tourism and hospitality workers wont have the contracts for pay while they're closed.

A staggered closure or partial closure would be best at the moment.

Unfortunately yes, most jobs will suffer. Its up to the government to restore the economy after Summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Because it is the choice between being out of work for a few weeks or a few months.Thereby exacerbating the employment problem and all associated issues.

I don't "hope" for anything to close.But under the circumstances, there has to be a degree of common sense.Keeping places open, only to find the staff are infected and the place has to close for a deep clean, and all other staff and their families are isolated...I mean it isn't a great alternative.

It is a case of closing for 2-3 weeks (you would hope) or almost certainly having to close for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Norway closing all it's airports from Monday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Source?
    sauce?
    Ketchup will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jesus, the ads on RTE live are f*cking chronic.

Fergal Bowers said it would be on rte news now when it was on.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Oh right, let's continue with the pandemic so. The government should be implementing measures to either support staff or support employers to pay staff.

That's not what I'm saying. If you read my post I said things will close but it should be staggered. The country doesn't quite need a full shutdown yet.

And yes government should be putting measures in place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement