Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Unfortunately i think we will have to see a death of a person who is young and without and underlying condition before some muppets take this seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

I'm impressed with Tony Holohan and his colleagues. They are coming across as very calm and competent. I find them very reassuring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

4 people have been released from limerick - so recoveries starting

Not all confirmed cases have been hospitalised

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Wrex wrote: »
    I'm interested to get people's thoughts on when the peak of the virus will be here? Some say within 2 weeks, others say 2 or 3 months!

Depends how aggressive our lockdown is and how well it's observed, but China took 3 months to reach and after 7 weeks Italy haven't yet reached its peak.

We're about 5 weeks behind Italy so I'd guess we're a month away at an optimistic forecast and probably into May is more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

shesty wrote: »
    I back tracked....20 new cases yesterday, 39 today.If we are saying 39 is essentially 2 days worth of results, there is a very tiny bit of encouragement in those numbers, although it is very early days yet..Be interested to see the rate of increase in Italy's around this time.

Todays number for last 24 hrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If anyone can do the maths with last week's headline saying 1.9m can be infected within 3 weeks. How true can this be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

kerplun k wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a friend?? Stuck in Lanzarote, flight cancelled back to Dublin. Cant find any flights back to the island of Ireland. Any help on this very much welcome.

What airline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

does gov not have the authority to even advise pub closures?
    The governemt has the authority to do what they want. They need to exercise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think the interesting thing about the UK's approach is that there is an end goal in mind which is being communicated from the top to the public. We might disagree with it but there's some rationale that can at least be criticized.

We don't actually know our governments main goal in the longer term. Are we hoping for a vaccine or that medication will be made available before the peak? It may be that herd immunity is what is expected here too but the public can not yet be told.

Obviously I hope we're getting it right but I don't think we can easily dismiss the UK's approach. The UK authorities will also be getting their advice on what to do by world-class epidemiologists.

They are not getting advice from world class anyone. Their approach is insane, potentially genocidal against older people. It will mean long term old people will be locked in their homes unable to see children or grandchildren.

Its basically the same approach as Italy took. Where Italy are today the UK will be in a week as the UK have sped up not slowed down the spread. Johnson doesn't know what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

Downlinz wrote: »
    Depends how aggressive our lockdown is and how well it's observed, but China took 3 months to reach and after 7 weeks Italy haven't yet reached its peak.

We're about 5 weeks behind Italy so I'd guess we're a month away at an optimistic forecast and probably into May is more realistic.

You think China has reached its peak?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

does gov not have the authority to even advise pub closures?

I expect someone has the authority to temporarily suspend all licences

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Unfortunately i think we will have to see a death of a person who is young and without and underlying condition before some muppets take this seriously.

Your right unfortunately the pubs will be full of the “I’ll be grand “ brigade tonight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Was it not 27 yesterday
    Might have been 27 Ireland-wide.Sorry, I was making the assumption that 20 referred to the South only, as I believe the 39 does???.Couldn't look too much, everything was crashing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

greenpilot wrote: »
    Yes. But some of us have families to support, mortgages to pay, little savings and work in businesses which will be shut down due to this. Without income, keeping a family and a household together creates enormous strain, especially mental strain, on parents and children. The fallout from this is going to be enormous and will take years to rectify to any level of what we deemed normal.

I’m one of those people, I’m self employed and don’t expect to do much business for months. I work with my wife so it’s going to hit us hard. But emotionally we are in a good spot and I know we will get through this financially. Our children need us now to be strong and while I know everybody is going to suffer to different degrees, it’s important for us all to try and make the most of this. Regardless of what we think we are going to be stuck at home for the majority of the next few weeks.

Banks and loans will be suspended if you need be. Banks already Offer moratoriums so while this may be alien to many , it’s actually a practise banks are used to offering. People like me who have needed more understanding deals from banks over the last decade knows the same will apply to everyone. So I’m confident people will get a stay on their mortgage if they need it, do not worry about that....

My stance is to worry about how things might be afterwards when the dust starts to settle. This is not the end of the world and Won’t be tragic for most of us individually but most likely will on some personal capacity. I’m trying to switch my energies to working with what we are going to have to do to get through this and that’s all we can do right now.

And for what it’s worth, I’ve been Following this virus on here for months and using other sources. I think our authority’s are doing a marvellous job this week and am highly encouraged and hopeful with how quickly they are reacting. This includes financial packages to help people. I think we are in good hands and where people need help they will get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

Stheno wrote: »
    3% of tests are positive

So 129 cases confirmed out of 4300 tests
    I think this is important
    Go

• Registered Users Posts: 23,186 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What did the HSE say about people in pubs? I can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

They want to let out 200 prisoners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Take it out of their hands. Bring the Army and Gardaut across the country and shut the place down to control social interaction for a week or two until we have a grip of what’s happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cillian calling out the UK for doing 7 days and not using proper evidence basically

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭raxy

To be honest the ones still packing them in are temple bar **** and a large % of the customers will hopefully be leaving after their stag hen . Sadly they may be bringing an extra present back with them

Guiness hats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

J. Marston wrote: »
    What did the HSE say about people in pubs? I can't find it.

Something along the lines of people needing to show more responsibility and accept the necessary sacrifice of avoiding doing things they like to do for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Yep. So many people telling me "its only the old dying or those who are already sick" as if those people are disposable or not deserving of concern.

I won't lie, i am relieved that kids seem to be fairly safe. And i know it is positive that we are not looking at widespread deaths among young healthy people. But the whole "its only old/sick people and therefore I am safe" attitude is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭hawkwing

They want to let out 200 prisoners
    only burgulars and the like so we are not supposed to mind,ffsake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Axfrderr wrote: »
    Todays number for last 24 hrs.

mostly...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

shesty wrote: »
    Might have been 27 Ireland-wide.Sorry, I was making the assumption that 20 referred to the South only, as I believe the 39 does???.Couldn't look too much, everything was crashing on me

27 on thursday, 20 on friday, 39 today in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

HSE inferring UK basing decisioning on using their own data with a sample size of 500 vs that of the WHO who have a sample size of 72000.

Utter fookwits across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

AllForIt wrote: »
    Self isolate for 7 days or 14 days? Which is it?

7 days for West Brits. Stronger immune system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Germany: 4181 infections - 8 deaths
    UK: 1130 deaths - 21 deaths

Hmmm

Never write off the Germans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement