Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If anyone can do the maths with last week's headline saying 1.9m can be infected within 3 weeks. How true can this be?

Pretty sure that was just if we didnt close schools, do anything etc.
    1.9m seems ridiculously high

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Give up the fags too

Leave my one vice alone :(
    Cillian calling out the UK for doing 7 days and not using proper evidence basically

Yeah I'm impressed with them tonight. Calm and assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Death notices in Italian newspaper in bergamo compared to usual. Shocking stuff. Just a flu.

https://twitter.com/davcarretta/status/1238791068071661568?s=20

Is there anyone actually saying "just a flu"?

That's getting to be a very annoying trope to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Unfortunately i think we will have to see a death of a person who is young and without and underlying condition before some muppets take this seriously.

Yeah, I've been thinking along the same lines for weeks. Realistically speaking, we have lived a very remote and tranquil existence since 1990. Crisis is something that happens in faraway countries that we learn about on the evening news. In all likelihood, we will require some sort of catalyst to shock the nation's psyche into treating this seriously.
    grouchyman wrote: »
    I'm impressed with Tony Holohan and his colleagues. They are coming across as very calm and competent. I find them very reassuring

Yeah, gears have definitely stepped up in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ButtSaab wrote: »
    Everyone needs to calm down about this virus, it's nothing more than a common cold. The fear is caused somebody higher up with an agenda.

And somebody needs to either grow up or get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

lawred2 wrote: »

ButtSaab wrote: »
    Everyone needs to calm down about this virus, it's nothing more than a common cold. The fear is caused somebody higher up with an agenda.

Well there's one there anyway saying it's only a cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Your right unfortunately the pubs will be full of the “I’ll be grand “ brigade tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Your right unfortunately the pubs will be full of the “I’ll be grand “ brigade tonight

That’s such a selfish attitude, they might be ‘grand’ but can they say for any older people they meet or other young people with underlying health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

wakka12 wrote: »

Viruses aren't drama queens. They just are. 1.9m is a valid projection.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,670 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If anyone can do the maths with last week's headline saying 1.9m can be infected within 3 weeks. How true can this be?
    Seriously, only time will tell. Indeed we have little idea of how many are currently infected as they have limited testing to date. Some of us may have had it and recovered just thinking it was a regular winter bug. The UK approach in particular makes me wonder this. It may be they feel they are already some way towards their "herd immunity"

Ultimately though, any predictions are speculation. This is too new to be able to accurately predict what will, or even may, happen. Once we've seen a full "season" of this we will probably have better "predictive" powers. At this stage it's as much a matter of reacting to what we are actually experiencing, both here and elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭munster87

The flu hospitalised over 2000 people between November and January, is that about right?

Drumpot wrote: »
    Glad the HSE basically called out the muppets filling out pubs....

Well the HSE might be aiming that just as much at government as the public.

I doubt the HSE said, close all schools but make sure to keep our borders and all the pubs open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

27 on thursday, 20 on friday, 39 today in ROI.

Take no notice of the numbers. It is probably running rampant in the community. The pattern of spread in other countries indicates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Although the numbers are bad (albeit not as bad as I was expecting >50), I must say that watching the press conference is good for the soul - especially compared to the hysteria and hyperbole on here at times! Dr. Holohan and Dr. De Gascun are extremely calm, composed, and measured. Even if they are not inwardly confident, they sure give off the impression that they are, whilst showing no complacency either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭blackcard

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Never write off the Germans.

Particularly when it comes to sudden death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

When I think of Boris Johnson, Trump and other countries this sad old quote from Stalin comes to mind.

'One death is a tragedy, a million a statistic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

lawred2 wrote: »

Have heard loads of people saying just that around where I live, the danger still not fully sunk into everyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And somebody needs to either grow up or get a life.

Or an account with more than one post

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

wakka12 wrote: »
    Curve derived from confirmed cases would make it about 25th/26th April. But that's pure guesstimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

CMO won't say when he thinks it will peak

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well there's one there anyway saying it's only a cold.

Good grief. There's always be one dope proving the exception.

Either way, still an annoying trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,186 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Brits must be the most stubborn, pig-headed nation on the planet.

Can't be seen to follow everyone else. Have to do their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

J. Marston wrote: »
    The Brits must be the most stubborn, pig-headed nation on the planet.

Can't be seen to follow everyone else. Have to do their own thing.

The May turn out to be correct, Only time will tell on this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Do we have any skiers still coming back from Northern Italy?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238893184060719107?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

From 2% to 3% - context important

So a 50% increase, then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

blackcard wrote: »
    Particularly when it comes to sudden death

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ireland is the 40th country worldwide to reach over 100 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Naggdefy wrote: »
    When I think of Boris Johnson, Trump and other countries this sad old quote from Stalin comes to mind.

'One death is a tragedy, a million a statistic'.

all hail our new virus overlords...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They are not getting advice from world class anyone. Their approach is insane, potentially genocidal against older people. It will mean long term old people will be locked in their homes unable to see children or grandchildren.

Its basically the same approach as Italy took. Where Italy are today the UK will be in a week as the UK have sped up not slowed down the spread. Johnson doesn't know what he's doing.

The man advising Johnson Patrick Vallance has explained himself and his approach totally and quite simply and in full. You can pretend he hasn’t or that you haven’t seen the explanation but that’s hard to believe.
    It’s a different approach to ours but that doesn’t make it wrong.
    Do you expect the crisis here to be over in 2 weeks time when the schools reopen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement