Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I'm not looking for an excuse. If the government want everyone to stay out of pubs and restaurants the decree would've come to close. That hasn't come, so do people really think the government wants the pubs to stay open but be empty? Is that it?

Surely the right approach is to keep going but observe good hand hygiene and social distancing?

Did you watch the HSE briefing they had a go at people packing out the pubs last night.

People going to the pub in the middle of this are idiots we are starting to see confirmed cases explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Downlinz wrote: »
    Italy essentially did nothing until their daily cases were in the thousands
    I disagree.
    21 February: first case
    23 February: Italy had already done 3000 tests and found 132 positive cases
    Lockdown starts for the epicentres, population 50000 people, with police and army check points.
    That paid off, as there are no new cases in that area now
    4 March: at approx 2700 positive cases - Italy closes schools and universities - nationwide

Number of tests today approaches 110000 people, huge effort there.

jackboy wrote: »
    I assume all those on the thread condemning those in pubs also condemn those still using public transport.

Public transport is essentially to many people.,the pub isnt

Hardly a fair comparison??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Ireland should unite and do what their EU neighbours are doing and shut down the airports. They are not doing a f*cking thing.

Well we are doing a hell of a lot more than the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I assume all those on the thread condemning those in pubs also condemn those still using public transport.

Many people still have to go to work. You don't have to go to the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Here's the Italian numbers in detail. Looks like it's spreading everywhere. Given the incubation period it takes two weeks until any measures are reflected in the numbers. 1518 in intensive care. Shocking.

Of cases concluded, 1966 cured. 1441 dead.

505599.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

gmisk wrote: »
    The two things are in no way the same but I think you know that.
    People need public transport if they have to work, reach a shop to get their groceries, visit doctors etc.
    Someone does not have to go to the pub, it is a choice.

The virus does not care if it is a choice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If anyone can do the maths with last week's headline saying 1.9m can be infected within 3 weeks. How true can this be?
    That number came from a UK model. As mentioned in the briefing no modelling group worldwide has figured this out exactly. What is probably true is that a lot more people have been infected everywhere but as they never came to the attention of the testing system, through having little or very mild symptoms, are not accounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Figures for numbers infected by date and totals*

Date Number Infected

29 Feb 1 (Total 1)

3 March 1 (Total 2)

4 March 4 (Total 6)

5 March 7 (Total 13)

6 March 5 (Total 18 )

7 March 1 (Total 19)

8 March 2 (Total 21)

9 March 3 (Total 24)

10 March 10 (Total 34)

11 March 9 (Total 43) 1 death

12 March 27 (Total 70)

13 March 20 (Total 90)

14 March 39 (Total 139) 1 death

In 2 weeks Ireland has gone from 1 to 139 people diagnosed with COVID-19

Figures on the scale of community type infection is unknown at this time.

Source:

https://www.gov.ie/en/...ovid-19-coronavirus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think there is huge work behind the scenes to increase this.

I did read they have ordered 60 new ventilators but it could take up to 6 weeks for them to arrive. Still not enough and I can see a global shortage soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ant and Decs Saturday night takeaway just after starting with a full audience... *eye roll

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

...but they deserve it
    I see you are not just a muppet by name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All cafes, bars and restaurants closed in France as of midnight tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭munster87

An Ri rua wrote: »
    They could re-launch as Hand Sanitiser. Been saying in work for a fortnight it would be a great name for a band. Got a nice modern edge to it, like Ham Sandwich. But in this case, they'd be born from the ashes of the Coronas.
    Got a real Spinal Tap meme to it.

Band Sanitiser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah but feeding your family is pretty essential, getting your fix of a pint under the guise of supporting local business is not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Bob24 wrote: »
    Public transports still operating and he fell short of telling everyone to stay at home.

So it seems like it is still not as strong as the Italian mesures, but a big step up.

As a train driver can confirm public transport still full steam ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

An Ri rua wrote: »
    They could re-launch as Hand Sanitiser. Been saying in work for a fortnight it would be a great name for a band. Got a nice modern edge to it, like Ham Sandwich. But in this case, they'd be born from the ashes of the Coronas.
    Got a real Spinal Tap meme to it.

How Goth are they? They might want to keep that name. We could see a resurgence of consumptive chic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

splinter65 wrote: »
    The man advising Johnson Patrick Vallance has explained himself and his approach totally and quite simply and in full. You can pretend he hasn’t or that you haven’t seen the explanation but that’s hard to believe.
    It’s a different approach to ours but that doesn’t make it wrong.
    Do you expect the crisis here to be over in 2 weeks time when the schools reopen?

Good post. The British response is based on scientific reasoning. It may not be right but we will not know until longer term implications of this infection become known.
    We can lockdown now and I fully support that but unfortunately that is not possible over longer period of time. No one is deliberately sacrificing people.
    I understand about delaying the infection or slowing the rate of infection but it can't be stopped. Best we can hope for is a vaccine but that is some time off. Even the producing enough for a global population will be a big task

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Could it be that CV was in Italy for weeks before they realised it and it got into nursing homes ?
    The virus came out of China early: introduction in the US was mid - Jan.
    It arrived in Italy via Germany, so Yes, it was in Europe before anyone realised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

otnomart wrote: »
    I disagree.
    21 February: first case
    23 February: Italy had already done 3000 tests and found 132 positive cases
    Lockdown starts for the epicentres, population 50000 people, with police and army check points.
    That paid off, as there are no new cases in that area now
    4 March: at approx 2700 positive cases - Italy closes schools and universities - nationwide

Number of tests today approaches 110000 people, huge effort there.

Serie A games were still being played up until last weekend, ski resorts open etc. They took excellent measures in those rural towns to great effect but the rest of the country continued on like normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Many people still have to go to work. You don't have to go to the pub.

To agree with your point and add to it how many morons go to the pub and do not go to work the next day?

Stupid selfish morons are only interested in getting pissed.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tiddles_1

If you are essential staff and have no car what other choice is there ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I'm not looking for an excuse. If the government want everyone to stay out of pubs and restaurants the decree would've come to close. That hasn't come, so do people really think the government wants the pubs to stay open but be empty? Is that it?

Surely the right approach is to keep going but observe good hand hygiene and social distancing?

It's a softly softly approach and will be done over the course of a few days. If you saw images of the panic on Thursday in the shops, can you imagine how people would behave if they told us out straight that everything was being closed down indefinitely?

This thing is airborne and a lot more than we're being told. Yes washing hands and social distances helps but it's not going to stop people catching it altogether.

We will be in complete lockdown within days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

People might have no choice but to use public transport to get supplies.

No excuse for pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

leahyl wrote: »
    Ant and Decs Saturday night takeaway just after starting with a full audience... *eye roll

God forbid, but maybe the virus will get them off the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What are you on about.
    My point is not all people can choose not to get public transport, they can however choose not to go to the pub ..reducing their chance of exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

I expect a lock down here to be in effect before Paddy's day. It would be completely irresponsible to allow the masses to congregate in pubs right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

pjohnson wrote: »
    People might have no choice but to use public transport to get supplies.

No excuse for pubs.

The way it's going we're seeing the money grabbing pubs - open til they're forced to shut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement