Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Public transport is essentially to many people.,the pub isnt

Hardly a fair comparison??

Won't it have exactly same outcome? Completely fair.

If you're willing to travel in those dirty disease boxes, you have no moral high ground to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

What are the Italians doing wrong? There has to be something unique about Italy (aside from it's old population) that's making this blow up.

Virologist Ilaria Capua from University of Florida http://www.epi.ufl.edu/people/facult.../ilaria-capua/
    suggesting that antibiotic/antimicrobial resistence and/or a superbacteria might be contributing to the high death rate in coronavirus patients.
    https://www.fanpage.it/attualita/cor...-muore-di-piu/

Superbacteria are a known threat, this article brought back bad memories of MRSA in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think there is huge work behind the scenes to increase this.

There isn't the experienced staff for the ICU beds we have never mind the beds/spaces that will be created for the extra patients. Every country has been ordering extra equipment, it'll take weeks to get them all in. People here haven't realised how bad it's likely to get, I really hope I'm wrong and that they've done just enough to prevent the system being overwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Here's the Italian numbers in detail. Looks like it's spreading everywhere. Given the incubation period it takes two weeks until any measures are reflected in the numbers. 1518 in intensive care. Shocking.

Of cases concluded, 1966 cured. 1441 dead.

I read somewhere that the big worry (well, one of the many big worries) is if/when it hits the south. The north is relatively well off, and has a health service that reflects this, but the south is far poorer, and its health service is far worse than the north.

I presume the regional nature of Italy reflects the truth in the above, but could of course be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

At least there's this. Any suggestions for what they could call themselves? My immediate thought is "The Cuntonas" after the other popular drink. Or maybe they could just call themselves The Script or The Blizzards, because all of those sh!t bands are just indistinguishable from each other.

505595.jpg

The Tiaras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

splinter65 wrote: »
    The man advising Johnson Patrick Vallance has explained himself and his approach totally and quite simply and in full. You can pretend he hasn’t or that you haven’t seen the explanation but that’s hard to believe.
    It’s a different approach to ours but that doesn’t make it wrong.
    Do you expect the crisis here to be over in 2 weeks time when the schools reopen?

We know what his approach is. Herd immunisation.

Its just another way of describing what happenend in Northern Italy where the virus is now endemic and the death toll mounts.

The guy is a fool. I can confidently predict UK hospitals will be overwhemed this time next week and deaths will rocket.

If the richest part of Italy can't cope what hope for the poorest parts of the UK?

The rest of Europe are opting for a controlled spread of cv. The UK are going for an uncontrolled and rapid spread. Expect cases to escalate quickly over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

fin12 wrote: »
    Well we are doing a hell of a lot more than the uk.

The U.K. will do the same as other countries just not yet, they aren't refusing to take the same measures as other countries.

The contact tracing for example has been stopped as they've moved on to the delay phase and health staff are being diverted to other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

France to close most shops, cafes, restaurants and cinemas – Philippe

France will shut down cafes, shops, restaurants and cinemas to stem the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, prime minister Éduoard Philippe has announced.

Philippe said public transport will be kept open but asked citizens to limit their use, reported Reuters news agency.

The closures will come into effect at midnight on Saturday.

He told a news conference that exceptions on the shop ban would include food stores, pharmacies and gas stations.

What we should be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Out of curiosity, is a test for COVID19 free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

fritzelly wrote: »
    The way it's going we're seeing the money grabbing pubs - open til they're forced to shut

Very simple to revoke or void all liquor licences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

fritzelly wrote: »
    The way it's going we're seeing the money grabbing pubs - open til they're forced to shut

A poster earlier suggested Cork pubs have closed for the foreseeable future. If they can do it, so can the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Many people still have to go to work. You don't have to go to the pub.
    They are a social outlet and we shouldn't be completely hiding away. The issue with pubs is not that they are open but that social distancing is not being observed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

For those thinking of heading out on the town
    https://twitter.com/GrahamJClifford/status/1238584549895962627?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you're willing to travel in those dirty disease boxes, you have no moral high ground to stand on.

So you want rural people to be starved out of it?

Go to UK if you want that you drip.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Honestly your clearly being deliberately obtuse.

If you can't understand the difference between people having to travel on public transport and people choosing to go to the pub....ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

fin12 wrote: »
    Well we are doing a hell of a lot more than the uk.

If the UK are doing such a bad job then we should suspend flights to and from the UK no?

Poland, Austria, Denmark, Slovakia, Czech Republic have all suspended flights from affected areas or completely shut down entry.
    These are all in the EU yet our 'leaders' say we can't stop people from entering due to us being in the EU.
    How utterly weak and profoundly dangerous, they've basically discarded the safety of the Irish people out of lickspittle subservience to the EU whilst other nations have clearly put their own people first. Its an absolute disgrace and its beyond me how people cannot understand this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

To agree with your point and add to it how many morons go to the pub and do not go to work the next day?

Stupid selfish morons are only interested in getting pissed.:mad:
    Like, do you not also realise that bar workers are people?
    Ardillaun wrote: »
    How Goth are they? They might want to keep that name. We could see a resurgence of consumptive chic.
    I was going to add that if they became a death metal band and just kept their name, I'd actually give them another go.

On a related note "Dancing with the Stars has reached a FEVER PITCH" was one of the repeatedly cycles ads when we were waiting for the press conference. Disgusting.

They should rename the HSE briefing "Dancing With the Stats".

Or "Dancing with the SARS".

And maybe the Coronas could be "Walking on SARS".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The people working in the labs are unreal from 600 a week to 600 tests a day

Medical Scientists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Look if you want to do something selfish and totally stupid just do it why are you looking for the approval of people who have a bit of sense?

People going to work including me are keeping the food supply chain moving people going out to the pub are braindead selfish p*icks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I did read they have ordered 60 new ventilators but it could take up to 6 weeks for them to arrive. Still not enough and I can see a global shortage soon.

Lucky that Medtronic in Ireland make half the World's supply of them so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Very simple to revoke or void all liquor licences
    How can that be done "simply", pray tell? And what would we do about all of these revoked licences once this has passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

gmisk wrote: »
    What are you on about.
    My point is not all people can choose not to get public transport, they can however choose not to go to the pub ..reducing their chance of exposure

My point is closing the pubs without shutting down public transport is little use. It would be another half ass measure like we have done from the start. Such measures probably only marginally slow the spread of the virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Achasanai wrote: »
    A poster earlier suggested Cork pubs have closed for the foreseeable future. If they can do it, so can the rest of us!

large pubs in the city have closed and more are closing tonight-I was in the city while ago small ones are open and packed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In a mad way the 90 odd people who have it now and are confirmed are lucky as they probably have a much better chance of recovering than people who get in a weeks time when beds are all taken,
    Obviously doesn't apply two the poor women who have died but you get what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

2 Galway City Pubs closed aswell. Not all publicans are selfish bãstards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If people won’t listen to stay out of the pubs then only one option is to shut them . Pubs aren’t listening to advice about having less than 100 indoors .. the temple bar pub packed all this week as we could see on the webcam until suddenly the webcam stopped working yesterday. My local was packed last night, was talking to a barman and he said it was busier than a regular Friday.
    People won’t listen and the government are afraid to upset the IVF and publicans .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don’t think anyone here is gong to tell you what you want to hear.

Just go for your pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

is_that_so wrote: »
    How can that be done "simply", pray tell? And what would we do about all of these licences once this has passed?

Revenue national excise license office. Suspend licenses on temporary basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are a social outlet and we shouldn't be completely hiding away. The issue with pubs is not that they are open but that social distancing is not being observed properly.

You can't social distance in urban pubs anyway.

Seriously. At a time of crisis, are people in this country that ****ing hooked on the gargle that they can't stay out of the pubs for two to three weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At least there's this. Any suggestions for what they could call themselves? My immediate thought is "The Cuntonas" after the other popular drink. Or maybe they could just call themselves The Script or The Blizzards, because all of those sh!t bands are just indistinguishable from each other.

505595.jpg

The Generic Irish Rock Band.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement