Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

As sad as this case is maybe it might make the it's grand brigade sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think it's inevitable bars and restaurants etc will have to be closed. The public were asked to show responsibility in the situation and appear to have failed spectacularly between bar activity this weekend, Cheltenham and the mad supermarket dash on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Emergency measure in the interest of public health could be passed very quickly

Liquor licences get revoked all the time

And who's going to do this? Bear in mind we have no government that can pass legislation and you still haven't answered the question about afterwards. BTW you do realise that liquor licences includes hotels. Up to 200k people work in the hospitality industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

walshb wrote: »
    29-10 male to females contraction today.

Is it because men a little more casual about contracting it...lil more macho!!

I’d say a little less likely to wash their hands...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Brits Brits Brits.... are ye not concerned about your own turf. This should be renamed the British Corona virus thread.

I think were all in this together, British, American, Persian, Arabs, African, Congolese and so on.

Its like an alien invasion and we're all searching for a resolution from an attack.

It picks out the weakest in society and zaps them of life...

I haven't heard yet whether its a painful process or do people just fade away like someone gradually breathing ok ish until its a death rattle.

I've heard that death rattle quite a lot through going to visit relatives and friends in a hospice or hospital bed, its a horrendous sound....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tuesday will be too late for the lockdown. It needs to happen no later than tomorrow with immediate effect. WTF is Leo waiting for? He should be addressing the nation now today. Caretaker Taoiseach or not he seriously needs to step up to the plate.

Give it a rest. You've posted time and time again today about the same thing, lockdown now.
    We heard you the first time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

defrule wrote: »
    Can you believe that Hong Kong which has around 2m more people than Ireland but 1/85 of the land mass has just 9 more cases than Ireland.
    Another candidate for a post which should be stickied.
    Close the border. **** the Good Friday agreement. This is serious **** we are facing.
    It's actually retarded that we haven't already.

My calculations on the UK are that at least 3.2m will die in the next month or two and 40m will potentially be left with irreparable lung damage. That's my conservative estimate.

If they are allowed to transport that over here, any measures we took are for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

People I know are getting angry....we are all stuck at home with small kids, trying to keep them away from the general population (and jesus, it has been 2 days and I would love to go to the pub!!) And for what, if the 'sure I"ll be fine" attitude prevails and pubs are open, enabling it??We can't juggle working at home and childcare and keeping kids amused/educated for months until the general populace cops on and realises it has to make a few minor changes to their lives for a few brief weeks of their lives??People need to stop being so selfish.It is absolutely crap being stuck at home, but as I have said before I would rather be doing it for a couple of weeks, than have to go into total lockdown for an indefinite period.(which may yet happen)....all because people wanted a few pints to pass the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Yeah I was thinking to myself Italy France and Spain are completely hysterical as well, locking down their countries. I'm really glad we have a head start on this though, so we can see what we're lumbering into in a few weeks.

It's worse than a zombie apocalypse in lots of ways because instead of biting you, which is quite easy to avoid, they just need to breathe near you or touch you or touch something you later touch.

Yes we all get out serious the situation is. You need to calm down.....getting this stressed is not healthy.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get that. Aren't they already self isolating.

With 6 and 8 to a cell,cant see how it could be described as self isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He is a journalist, so probably has a credible source.
    On Twitter? He'll be gutted if he doesn't get a few thousand retweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,396 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How long does it take for test result to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It is extremely vague.
    What's the plan . Close all businesses? I thought you were worried about your 2 friends losing their jobs. You want to shut the place down for an unknown number of weeks. Many businesses will not open again. How will people pay rent and mortgages?
    How will the government run the country since the economy has now come to a stand still?
    Will you close shops too? Where will people buy fuel and food?
    How about airports?

Complete lockdown is a hollow , not thought out pointless statement.

Push the limits, feel the burn etc
    McGiver wrote: »
    Full Lock-down = everything closed bar pharmacies and grocery stores

Denmark - full Lock-down and borders closed

Slovakia - partial Lock-down (hotels and restaurants still open), international travel severely restricted and border controls in place

Poland - almost full Lock-down and borders closed

Czechia - full Lock-down and borders closed

Spain - full Lock-down from tomorrow/Monday, borders remain open

UK - "keep calm and carry on"

Wrong posts like this only panic folk Pharmaciies Grocery stores and tabacconists rather oddly stay open the idea is to minimise non essential travel Fair check please and do not serve to provoke another wave of panic buying of medicine and toilet paper

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

McGiver wrote: »
    Full Lock-down = everything closed bar pharmacies and grocery stores

Denmark - full Lock-down and borders closed

Slovakia - partial Lock-down (hotels and restaurants still open), international travel severely restricted and border controls in place

Poland - almost full Lock-down and borders closed

Czechia - full Lock-down and borders closed

Spain - full Lock-down from tomorrow/Monday, borders remain open

UK - "keep calm and carry on"

This is false. However even if true, what’s the end game of shutting down everything? Economy won’t cope for the necessary period of time you’d need to isolate everyone while waiting for a vaccine. The UK IS taking action to spread the peak while wanting to limit it to one peak, not months of going round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

US2 wrote: »
    You havnt a notion if you think the army will be patrolling a small village

Well you never said it was a small village. And regardless, we have no idea what’s about to play out or what is going to occur. We have literally never lived through anything like this before. These are unprecedented times, we’ve no source of reference in order to be so sure about what will or will not happen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When we're locked down and the sing songs start, can we please not sing the fields of athenry ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Mr.S wrote: »
    Take those type of posts with a grain of salt. Absolutely nothing to back it up with.

Philip Boucher-Hayes
    @boucherhayes
    ·
    17m
    This is not speculation. I am a journalist. I am anonymising the details for patient privacy

Im indifferent to Phillip, Im no fan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

is_that_so wrote: »
    And who's going to do this? Bear in mind we have no government that can pass legislation and you still haven't answered the question about afterwards. BTW you do realise that liquor licences includes hotels. Up to 200k people work in the hospitality industry.

Sure half of the pubs of Kerry don't have a license now apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭greenfield21

corona-german-borderskaj37.png

Borders of EU countries closing tonight but we are not allowed apparently.

Are we not slightly different been an island on the edge of Europe. I think we are under estimating how Italy has caused most of this in mainland Europe like a chain reaction with their porous borders. We will be slot slower to reach our peak here.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

shmeee wrote: »
    Stores like SuperValu can get a delivery the following day as required. The musgraves warehouse is ramped with stock you can be sure. Stores wouldn't havnt more than a box or 2 of extra stock in the store room. And when the panic hit, the stock on the shelves had no chance.

Some SuperValus in the capital are getting 8 trucks a day to their stores.

But shopping local in the independent and small retailers is what we need to do, the local centra, costcutter etc. They need support.

SME's are crippled along with so many jobs.

The big chains will survive!

Shopping local will be crucial. In my local community, it's the pharmacist keeping sanitizers for those they know need it, the post office sorting out pensions for those self isolating, the local shop knows who needs food delivered and who has help. These are essential services in more ways than one. I know of one shop who has a staff member call each day to an elderly customer with his paper, cooked dinner etc and will hang around for a chat. Mass, sport events and the pub have been important social outlets for the eldery in our community who may not use social media. We will never get that community service in the large chains. And community now has never been more important

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Like maybe not sitting in a cramped space with a bunch off strangers, skulling pints for hours?

Depends on the pub in my opinion. I know my local has increased distances between tables, a reduction of about half the table numbers and when all the tables are taken up then that's it nobody else allowed in. Also not accepting cash, card only.

Works both ways, between customer and publican. Any pub still cramming people in is just irresponsible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There was me thinking we were in The Stand, when we're actually in Planet of the Apes :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Scotty # wrote: »
    Ant & Dec show tonight packed to the rafters. Are the Brits taking this seriously at all??

IMG-20200314-192254.jpg

which ones ant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't get the logic of closing pubs. If you close pubs you might as well close supermarkets as well. It's not like old folk go to pubs. One is far more likely to pick it up in supermarket than a pub. Well, i'm thinking about small country pubs, not highly trafficked city type establishments, clubs etc. I think small town country pubs are fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

mean gene wrote: »
    which ones ant

Its always Ant on the left, Dec on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,396 ✭✭✭✭walshb

When we're locked down and the sing songs start, can we please not sing the fields of athenry ffs?

And that fooking ole ole ole ole nonsense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

As far as medical manufacturers based in Ireland, do you think if conditions greatly worsen the government could seize equipment destined for export?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get the logic of closing pubs. If you close pubs you might as well close supermarkets as well. It's not like old folk go to pubs. One is far more likely to pick it up in supermarket than a pub. Well, i'm thinking about small country pubs, not highly trafficked city type establishments, clubs etc. I think small town country pubs are fine.

If you cant get the logic there is probably no point explaining really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement