Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well then why haven't the pubs been closed by decree if we shouldn't go?

Why do some people have to have their hand held and have everything spelled out for them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get the logic of closing pubs. If you close pubs you might as well close supermarkets as well. It's not like old folk go to pubs. One is far more likely to pick it up in supermarket than a pub. Well, i'm thinking about small country pubs, not highly trafficked city type establishments, clubs etc. I think small town country pubs are fine.

This post sums up Ireland's alcohol problem pretty well.

Trying to say that the pub and supermarkets are on the same level of necessity. You can't live without food. You can live without alcohol from a pub for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

is_that_so wrote: »
    And who's going to do this? Bear in mind we have no government that can pass legislation and you still haven't answered the question about afterwards. BTW you do realise that liquor licences includes hotels. Up to 200k people work in the hospitality industry.

What are you still not getting about thousands dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

When we're locked down and the sing songs start, can we please not sing the fields of athenry ffs?

Would you prefer Ireland's call?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

McGiver wrote: »
    Full Lock-down = everything closed bar pharmacies and grocery stores

Denmark - full Lock-down and borders closed

Slovakia - partial Lock-down (hotels and restaurants still open), international travel severely restricted and border controls in place

Poland - almost full Lock-down and borders closed

Czechia - full Lock-down and borders closed

Spain - full Lock-down from tomorrow/Monday, borders remain open

UK - "keep calm and carry on"

Spain is keeping workplaces open.
    And advising people to go to work.

Not quite full lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I don't get that. Aren't they already self isolating.

Clear out for all the gob****es that are going to need locking up over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pints are like those sneaky ones you get on Good Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its always Ant on the left, Dec on the right.

Why did this post remind me of the Pink Panther tune?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Sat the kiddo on the knee and buzzed the auld pair on Whatsapp video and we agreed not to talk about the news for the duration of the video call

I wouldn't bame you Tom, you have important things to be worrying about like getting yoursekf better, no point talking abut it.
    Frankly though I'm surpised that your Auld pair are still alive, what age are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I don't get the logic of closing pubs. If you close pubs you might as well close supermarkets as well. It's not like old folk go to pubs. One is far more likely to pick it up in supermarket than a pub. Well, i'm thinking about small country pubs, not highly trafficked city type establishments, clubs etc. I think small town country pubs are fine.

How is the pub the same as a supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf its shaping up like Paddy's Day. The responsible publicans acting will shame the a full response from the government. It took small parades being cancelled for them to brave up cancelling all parades.

Vintners association should be telling their members to shut for their own long term benefit.

Pubs might serve people now....but when 5+% are no longer with us...that's money out of their pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

10 pints of porter and 5 brandys down the packed pub singing a few rebel tunes. Pandemic what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

With the army outside roaming the streets ensuring everyone stays indoors? He hasn’t a notion god love him

How many people do you think we have in the Irish Army?? Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Introverts are laughing at all these people who can't manage to stay in for one night, let alone 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Anyone going to the pubs on Paddy's Day or any other day during this crisis are f*cking morons.

There are frontline service people out in the communities bringing the fight to the virus 24/7.. I'm on standby from Monday and hoping, hoping hard that I'm called on to put my shoulder to the wheel.

I'm damned proud of every paramedic, nurse, doctor, hospital worker, blood bike rider, soldier, airman/woman, sailor, civil defence member etc who are putting the the citizens health and welfare before there's.. If you're dragging the kids to McDonalds, packing the pubs etc you're an affront to these people & like I said 'a f*cking moron.

Exactly.

Three types of people:

1. Those trying to stop the virus spreading.
    2. Those trying to treat/save the ones with it.

3. Absolute selfish d1ckheads contributing to the spread and potentially putting the health service under crippling pressure. "I need my pints more than someone else needs to be healthy".

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

corona-german-borderskaj37.png

Borders of EU countries closing tonight but we are not allowed apparently or don't have the courage.

You know the answer is they don't have the courage. Its actually terrifying having such weak, spineless leaders at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Closed supermarkets equals no food

Closed pubs slows spread

I know which id prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Gods Gift wrote: »
    If we close the pubs and the north don’t. People will be going to the north to celebrate st Patrick’s day.
    the same people that go up North to buy fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trying to say that the pub and supermarkets are on the same level of necessity. You can't live without food. You can live without alcohol from a pub for a bit.

+1

2nd best post of the thread in my considered opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    And who's going to do this? Bear in mind we have no government that can pass legislation and you still haven't answered the question about afterwards. BTW you do realise that liquor licences includes hotels. Up to 200k people work in the hospitality industry.

The Dail passes legislation, not the government. There would be no problems passing whatever emergency legislation is needed in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,403 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Another candidate for a post which should be stickied.

It's actually retarded that we haven't already.

My calculations on the UK are that at least 3.2m will die in the next month or two and 40m will potentially be left with irreparable lung damage. That's my conservative estimate.

If they are allowed to transport that over here, any measures we took are for nothing.

3.2m will die... I mean... What?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

And in supermarkets people tend to behave with some level of social decorum. That all goes out the window when you’re drunk and in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That makes loads of sense, only count the ones who are relatively serious. i.e in hospital. Number massaging. We've seen China, Iran, Italy, US, UK and every other country do similar.

Whatever you do don't induce panic by actually counting how widespread it is in the community. Oh and keep the pubs open.
    Yay another poster who really knows what he's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,396 ✭✭✭✭walshb

laurah591 wrote: »
    Closed supermarkets equals no food

Closed pubs slows spread

I know which id prefer

Nailed it in one!!!

60 pages giving out about people going to the pub, guys, people in the pub aren't looking at boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

This is false. However even if true, what’s the end game of shutting down everything? Economy won’t cope for the necessary period of time you’d need to isolate everyone while waiting for a vaccine. The UK IS taking action to spread the peak while wanting to limit it to one peak, not months of going round in circles.

But what a peak it's going to be. It'll outstrip Italy & rival China/USA as the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭sonic85

I had a meal booked for tomorrow evening but phoned them up last night and cancelled. Im not due back to work till Wednesday and wont be leaving the house till then. What the fcuk is wrong with people that they cant restrict their movements and interactions for a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Andrew00 wrote: »
    10 pints of porter and 5 brandys down the packed pub singing a few rebel tunes. Pandemic what?

Well done. Enjoy the hangover and reality tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Sure look it, if your feeling under the weather your not going to go to the pub anyway. Simple really.

My two jobs have been shut down for the time period advised by the government. No way am I sealing myself indoors for two whole weeks, unless the government intervene in the meantime.

Do you not care picking up the virus and then spreading it on? The problem is there's a few days from contracting the virus to showing symptoms. During these days you can feel fine and still pass it on. The more we distance ourselves from others the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement