Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I’m on a bumble date tonight with a Spanish doctor over for the weekend from Spain ! Kiss or no kiss ?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

My calculations on the UK are that at least 3.2m will die in the next month or two and 40m will potentially be left with irreparable lung damage. That's my conservative estimate.

Mods can we please have bans for people posting absolute nonsense like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For those desperate for their pub pints.

Reckon pubs should declare a lock-in. And by lock-in I mean until the coronavirus alert is lifted.

Online supermarkets will deliver food etc

We'll see who is still alive on the other side.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Well then why haven't the pubs been closed by decree if we shouldn't go?

All I saw the CMO say was that we should observe social distancing if you go to a pub or restaurant.

How are you going to do that in a packed pub? The cmo and other government departments are under pressure from the various groups representing these pubs and other economic devices. They want them to stay open while the risks increase. Only closing when the risks are two great.
    Closing at the last possible minute to save face. People need to start seeing this and making decisions for themselves ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get the logic of closing pubs. If you close pubs you might as well close supermarkets as well. It's not like old folk go to pubs. One is far more likely to pick it up in supermarket than a pub. Well, i'm thinking about small country pubs, not highly trafficked city type establishments, clubs etc. I think small town country pubs are fine.

Food and stuff maybe???

Pubs are not essential, seriously people need to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bob24 wrote: »
    French prime minister currently announcing drastic measures live on Tv. Sounds like it is going Italy’s way.

France 24 states cafes, shops restaurants all too close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

You can take our lives,
    But you’ll never take
    Our pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Monroes and Caribou closed in Galway. Not all publicans are selfish prícks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Anyone going to the pubs on Paddy's Day or any other day during this crisis are f*cking morons.

There are frontline service people out in the communities bringing the fight to the virus 24/7.. I'm on standby from Monday and hoping, hoping hard that I'm called on to put my shoulder to the wheel.

I'm damned proud of every paramedic, nurse, doctor, hospital worker, blood bike rider, soldier, airman/woman, sailor, civil defence member etc who are putting the the citizens health and welfare before there's.. If you're dragging the kids to McDonalds, packing the pubs etc you're an affront to these people & like I said 'a f*cking moron.

You are “hoping hard” it’s so bad on Monday that you’re called in?? Serious hero complex going on there. I’m off to the pub. G’night.

Oh and I’ll also be in work on Monday, for the HSE, same as every other Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

Pretty easy to see how much of an issue alcoholism is in the country on this tread.

• Advertisement

I’m on a bumble date tonight with a Spanish doctor over for the weekend from Spain ! Kiss or no kiss ?

If your gonna kiss and risk it,may aswell go all in and get the ride too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Christy42

lawred2 wrote: »
    3.2m will die... I mean... What?

I would love all these posts with doomsday scenarios to get stickied.

I wonder if the time set on a lot of them is up but the posters have kept quiet because it hasn't happened. Just two weeks and 950k behind the one that made all the newspapers (1.9m infected and half that in 3 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,043 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Depends on the pub in my opinion. I know my local has increased distances between tables, a reduction of about half the table numbers and when all the tables are taken up then that's it nobody else allowed in. Also not accepting cash, card only.

Works both ways, between customer and publican. Any pub still cramming people in is just irresponsible

Well you see as you say it's grand if you can do that in whatever pub you are in but pubs aren't one size fits all. I know last weekend in my local there was extra soap next to the sinks in the toilets(I mean there was some in the yoke snd more next to them) and behind the counters there was hand sanitizer for staff to use and they were using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

So when Ireland inevitably reaches the point the Italians are at due to our complacency/selfishness, how many of the people here on boards will have lost a loved one, probably with a funeral they won’t even be allowed to attend, due to the fact they want to support their local, because god forbid someone tells them they can’t have a pint.

A lot of pubs aren’t following the 100 person rule, our health service is one of the poorest in Europe ( through no fault of the incredible doctors and nurses who are doing their very best on the front line).

Unfortunately many people here will loose loved ones over the quibble of the freedom to have a pint or non essential gym session.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

sonic85 wrote: »
    I had a meal booked for tomorrow evening but phoned them up last night and cancelled. Im not due back to work till Wednesday and wont be leaving the house till then. What the fcuk is wrong with people that they cant restrict their movements and interactions for a week or so?

That's a personal decision for you not to go out for your meal. Could buy a voucher instead to support the business on your missed custom.

Chief medical officer said there isnt a need to keep holed up in houses though, it's a personal choice but it's not required. Not good for someones mental health to stay inside that long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Just watching the Temple Bar webcam. It's getting busy on the party streets and I just saw a group of about 10 guys pass by, out on the lash dressed in mock hazard suits and wearing masks.

Be careful what you wish for boys. My old granny used to say 'mocking is catching'. I never understood ... catching what?. I have a better idea since the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Does anyone have links to any Chinese or south Korean or Italian based articles which outlines case progression
    I know I have read stuff in earlier threads but no clue where

Context i want to understand the trigger between mild and serious, I know roughly 3 week process - week 1 mild cough/fever - week 2 gets serious or better- week 3 is week 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I don't get the logic of closing pubs. If you close pubs you might as well close supermarkets as well. It's not like old folk go to pubs. One is far more likely to pick it up in supermarket than a pub. Well, i'm thinking about small country pubs, not highly trafficked city type establishments, clubs etc. I think small town country pubs are fine.

How so?

You don't hang around a supermaket, you go in, get what you need and get out. Some already have, and I expect all shortly will introduce maximums in terms of people allowed in, and have more than adequate cleaning and hand sanitization available for customers. If you're there at the correct time, there's no chance that you'll spend more than 15 minutes within two metres of an infected person.

OTOH some pubs and clubs have already voluntarily closed on the basis that they cannot enforce the social distancing guidelines. And unlike a supermarket, even in a three quarters empty pub, you'll be sitting within two metres of more than one person for for more than 15 minutes, possibly many hours. And with drink on board, what's the likelihood of adequate hand washing going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

odyssey06 wrote: »
    For those desperate for their pub pints.

Reckon pubs should declare a lock-in. And by lock-in I mean until the coronavirus alert is lifted.

Online supermarkets will deliver food etc

We'll see who is still alive on the other side.

Dunno how many people here have read Station Eleven, but this brings to mind the image of the Air Gradia plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Europe's four most affected nations so far...

SPAINTR.png?itok=K0_fVVXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How many people do you think we have in the Irish Army?? Hahahaha

Not sure. But I’m sure if there was a whisper of some gobshlte letting people through the back door for fear he’d lose a few coin they’d be there fairly sharp

shmeee wrote: »
    Stores like SuperValu can get a delivery the following day as required. The musgraves warehouse is ramped with stock you can be sure. Stores wouldn't havnt more than a box or 2 of extra stock in the store room. And when the panic hit, the stock on the shelves had no chance.

Some SuperValus in the capital are getting 8 trucks a day to their stores.

But shopping local in the independent and small retailers is what we need to do, the local centra, costcutter etc. They need support.

SME's are crippled along with so many jobs.

The big chains will survive!

Centra are owned by Musgraves also and like most supervales are franchises.

Tesco and Dunnes would be the big chains in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Try The Corona Position instead of missionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

If your gonna kiss and risk it,may aswell go all in and get the ride too

I’m not sure I want the ride !

Dundalk, Co. Louth

laurah591 wrote: »
    Does anyone have links to any Chinese based articles which outlines case progression
    I know I have read stuff in earlier threads but no clue where

Context i want to understand the trigger between mild and serious, I know roughly 3 week process - week 1 mild cough/fever - week 2 gets serious or better- week 3 is week 3

I think 18 days is average check out...28 for recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Do you not care picking up the virus and then spreading it on? The problem is there's a few days from contracting the virus to showing symptoms. During these days you can feel fine and still pass it on. The more we distance ourselves from others the better.

I do care about that. Which is why I won't be visiting any elderly relations till it passes. I don't see the issue in going for a few pints but literally not stirring from my own house otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This post sums up Ireland's alcohol problem pretty well.

Trying to say that the pub and supermarkets are on the same level of necessity. You can't live without food. You can live without alcohol from a pub for a bit.

As a person who hasn’t had a drink in nearly a decade and who gave it up because it was very damaging mentally and physically I can identify with a lot of the desperation some posters are showing.

Belligerent ignorance , strong denial of what’s going on, apathy to the severity of the situation and the complete fairytale they have told themselves so they can bury their conscience in a nice pint. Yeh, I get it and I’m so glad that’s not me anymore, I’m just glad my family doesn’t have to suffer that sort of selfish ignorance from me......

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Major well know pubs closing their doors by choice does not do much when 1000's of villiage, town, and city pubs take in all those extra people. It needs to come from the Government, shut the pubs, anyone open will be named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This post sums up Ireland's alcohol problem pretty well.

Trying to say that the pub and supermarkets are on the same level of necessity. You can't live without food. You can live without alcohol from a pub for a bit.

That is a rather dumb post when you consider that the point of restrictions is to prevent the spread of a virus. What you are saying is that it's okay to spread it in a supermarket but not okay to spread it in a pub.

And just because one goes to a pub does not mean one has an alcohol problem, pubs are social occasions and a relief from the working week, where for some ppl who are single for example is their only opportunity for social interaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Same logic as closing schools, just with adults instead. Humans in close contact spreading the virus & all that jazz......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement