Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Uneasy feeling today, sense something big approaching early next week.

Hope I'm wrong.

You constipated?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

tara73 wrote: »
    I'm baffled by the italian numbers. From the BNO website as now:
    cases overall: 21.157 deaths: 1.441

do I get something wrong or is this a death rate of 6.8%? even if you multiply the cases with 15, as experts say the number of infected people could be 10-20 times higher than the actual confirmed cases it's still a death rate around 4.5%.
    this is sickening, pardon the pun...:o

Some serious maths. Extrapolation, ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

What would lockdown entail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

paul71 wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/99104a-covid-19-coronavirus/

Local social welfare office, there are arrangements in place already.

That’s the first thing that was done in this country aren’t they royalty!
    They should have given double bonus like Xmas , for any inconvenience my god this country is letting itself down !

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Uneasy feeling today, sense something big approaching early next week.

Hope I'm wrong.

Such as an asteroid or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I have absolutely no illusions about my hot air on teh interwebs (or anyone else's) and whether it has any impact IRL. Nonetheless I'll still call out BS such as yours when I see it.

OK then, Care to explain to me where the 'BS' was in my post?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

laugh wrote: »
    Joke

No - once it's gone it should stay gone!! :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hermy wrote: »
    Why would you cancel it and then bring it back the following year?
    Please tell me you're joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

biker16 wrote: »
    i think alot of people in the pubs are not living with diabetics,people with heart problems,people that have recovered from cancer...i dont care about getting the virus myself just obviously dont want to bring it home and RISK killing someone in my family circle...if they are living with people with these underlying conditions them cmon thats reckless...go to the offo and get a few cans of dutch is all im saying

Says a lot about us as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

Listen lads. can ye not see the hysteria creeping in to your posts. immediately jumping to personal abuse is an obvious sign. it will solve nothing and will not lend anything to your points, but have at it if that''s what gets you through this.

Is there a reason you are so irate about staying out of the pub. Would a weekend cause you that much grief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

This is what Italian doctors have been saying for weeks.

1) This is nothing like the flu
    2) This is not an old person's illness

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1238904532039589889

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

voluntary wrote: »
    There are cases of transmission from person to person sitting 5 meters apart on a bus. The suggested 1 meter rule while you're in a pub is a joke. Someone coughs or sneezes and 15 people around him gets ill.

How can that "5 metres on a bus" transmission be traced? Just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Another thing.... let's say by some miracle pubs are told to close, there might be an even bigger trolley dash to the off licenses (I know supermarkets sell alcohol, but still).

Ration the alcohol purchases per person, just like the toilet rolls, the soap and whatever the feck people are grabbing by the dozen or more.

If they close the off sales along with the pubs there will be riots. I think.

What a great country we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

do I get something wrong or is this a death rate of 6.8%? even if you multiply the cases with 15, as experts say the number of infected people could be 10-20 times higher than the actual confirmed cases it's still a death rate around 4.5%.

Thats what happens if we dont cut out social interactions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

blade1 wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking?

Well, to be honest I' think it's a shocking waste of time and effort.

But, yeah, I'm mostly posting in jest.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Listen lads. can ye not see the hysteria creeping in to your posts. immediately jumping to personal abuse is an obvious sign. it will solve nothing and will not lend anything to your points, but have at it if that''s what gets you through this.

Your posts are so predictable and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

But what could it be?
    Closing down pubs & clubs for two months?
    Looks like with the parades, the actual councils are starting to take "unilateral action". Fúck the VFI and I hope the losses they incur off the back of this virus leave them in pieces.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    Point about the pubs open and packed - that's likely to mean hospital A&Es full of drunks / fights etc... that may take away precious staff and resources from saving our loved ones.

F*ck them out on a ditch and leave them there.
    Let them know the risks.
    My friend's grandmother collapsed today and she wasn't able to go to A&E to be treated because of this stupid virus. She has Alzheimers :'(
    I actually don't know if that's from today because I've been watching the feed non-stop and they were piping it in a few days ago as well. Unless they do it every day, in which case oh my god why even bother trying to stay alive, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

1441/ (21,157 x 15) = 0.45%

Ger Roe wrote: »
    What is rational to you and what irrational content are you objecting to?

Are you seriously looking for an existential conversation about my version of rationality here on this thread?

I'll have whatever you're smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

There has to be something done. Surely the government realizes we can't live without money. Rent, bills, food need to be paid for.

Yeah I think so to I'm just looking through the thread and the amount of people who just want to shut everything down. I don't think people can just do that I'm lucky in that I can but I just wonder about how dismissive people are.

I get that we need to stop the spread as best we can and I'm all on board for that but I just feel for people who can't. A full lock down will have devastating effects on some familys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

OK then, Care to explain to me where the 'BS' was in my post?

Yes, the bit saying that there's an awful lot of holier than thou **** here was the bit that was BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is extremely high but they have an extremely old population (I think oldest in Europe).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Shn99 wrote:
    Out of curiosity, is a test for COVID19 free?

Yes
    is_that_so wrote:
    If people test outside of hospital, yes. In a hospital setting 12-24 hours.
    I believe testing in local hospitals will prioritise specimens from within the hospital.

That's probably why theres conflicting reports here about how long people are waiting for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I think we should stop reporting on the number of people that have it. Or at least just give a vague figure. We don’t need to know exactly how many have it and we certainly don’t need to know the locations of each case.

It’s just creating more panic and hysteria.

And that webcam in temple bar should be switched off. Too many people stressing themselves looking at it.

The less we know, the better really. People just aren’t handling it well at all.
    Not sure now is the time to adopt the ostrich approach.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Italy's health system is overwhelmed:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

- "We're close to the point of no return for intensive care beds in Lombardy. We have 15 to 20 intensive care beds left. With 85 new people entering ICU every day and 2 or 3 leaving, we're close to the point of no return. "There are no more ambulances" - Lombardy Welfare Councilor Gallera added - "and therefore someone will have to wait late in the evening." [source] 732 patients are currently treated in intensive care in Lombardy, and 76 new deaths were reported in the region today [source]

- In Bergamo, "deaths have quintupled from a week ago. There is a burial every half hour" said Councilor for Cemetery Services Giacomo Angeloni. "There are many elderly people at home with breathing difficulties. They are not hospitalized because the hospitals are full" said the mayor of Alzano Lombardo Carmelo Bertocchi [source]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

That JLS song at the end there on Ant and Dec reminded me a bit of:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    What would lockdown entail?

I presume it is the stage Spain and Italy are at... all non essential businesses closed... Citizens to stay at home unless they need food, medical supplies or emergencies.

e.g. France will shut down cafes, shops, restaurants and cinemas to stem the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, prime minister Éduoard Philippe has announced. Philippe said public transport will be kept open but asked citizens to limit their use, reported Reuters news agency. The closures will come into effect at midnight on Saturday. He told a news conference that exceptions on the shop ban would include food stores, pharmacies and gas stations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Those Italians who flew over last week should be tried for crimes against humanity as should anyone flying now

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Bday during the week supposed to go for a couple of drinks and an Indian tonight and had a few plans to go somewhere tomoro to finish it off

Instead I’m after a bag of fizzy sweets and have a can lined up for the comedown , to think where we were a few weeks ago to now is crazy

Stay in lads tis hardly worth it and ye might as well get used to it for the foreseeable , lots of pubs closing tonight fair play to them , I hope they get well supported when things come right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

paul71 wrote: »
    Is there a reason you are so irate about staying out of the pub. Would a weekend cause you that much grief?

I have not darkened the door of a pub since we were advised not to (couple of weeks) nor will I.

I never said I had either. yet everyone jumps to hysterics immediately. that is the point I am making. Getting the pitchforks out and marching on Temple bar or wherever solves nothing.
    Direction needs to come from government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement