Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

wakka12 wrote: »
    Italy's health system is overwhelmed:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

- "We're close to the point of no return for intensive care beds in Lombardy. We have 15 to 20 intensive care beds left. With 85 new people entering ICU every day and 2 or 3 leaving, we're close to the point of no return. "There are no more ambulances" - Lombardy Welfare Councilor Gallera added - "and therefore someone will have to wait late in the evening." [source] 732 patients are currently treated in intensive care in Lombardy, and 76 new deaths were reported in the region today [source]

- In Bergamo, "deaths have quintupled from a week ago. There is a burial every half hour" said Councilor for Cemetery Services Giacomo Angeloni. "There are many elderly people at home with breathing difficulties. They are not hospitalized because the hospitals are full" said the mayor of Alzano Lombardo Carmelo Bertocchi [source]

What seems to be going on in Northern Italy is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

At what stage do people take personal responsibility for their actions.

These are pubs, everyone in it is an adult. At what point to people grow the fukc up and take not of what's unfolding in front of them. I'm sure plenty in that pub has elderly parents, grandparents or at risk relative they could come into contact with in the coming days.

There is a certain element of people in Ireland that will do anything for craic, like the social media brigade that want to capture everything to post for likes. The kind of people that do completely braindead stuff on nights out to capture it on instagram or snapchat to be the big lad or girl as the case may be .

It's an absolutely rotten part of our culture that should be f*cking called out at every opportunity. This isnt today or tomorrow sh!te like this had been happening.

Just look at twitter, Instagram or snapchat on a sunday morning for bull like this every weekend .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Are you seriously looking for an existential conversation about my version of rationality here on this thread?

I'll have whatever you're smoking.

No... just an idea of what you were objecting to. Your statement didn't indicate what you were objecting to.

I am however now rapidly losing interest in knowing, so let's leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Uneasy feeling today, sense something big approaching early next week.

Hope I'm wrong.

It is coming, could be any day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Uneasy feeling today, sense something big approaching early next week.

Hope I'm wrong.

Aye, pubs are gonna shut.
    I've an uneasy feeling about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

These are pubs, everyone in it is an adult. At what point to people grow the fukc up and take not of what's unfolding in front of them. I'm sure plenty in that pub has elderly parents, grandparents or at risk relative they could come into contact with in the coming days.

There is a certain element of people in Ireland that will do anything for craic, like the social media brigade that want to capture everything to post for likes. The kind of people that do completely braindead stuff on nights out to capture it on instagram or snapchat to be the big lad or girl as the case may be .

It's an absolutely rotten part of our culture that should be f*cking called out at every opportunity. This isnt today or tomorrow sh!te like this had been happening.

Just look at twitter, Instagram or snapchat on a sunday morning for bull like this every weekend .

Personal responsibility.

Something as a nation has vanished.

Everyone deserves a house from the state just because...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,901 ✭✭✭patrickc

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Bday during the week supposed to go for a couple of drinks and an Indian tonight and had a few plans to go somewhere tomoro to finish it off

Instead I’m after a bag of fizzy sweets and have a can lined up for the comedown , to think where we were a few weeks ago to now is crazy

Stay in lads tis hardly worth it and ye might as well get used to it for the foreseeable , lots of pubs closing tonight fair play to them , I hope they get well supported when things come right

Same here had a meal planned for my birthday, not worth the risks tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

tara73 wrote: »
    I'm baffled by the italian numbers. From the BNO website as now:
    cases overall: 21.157 deaths: 1.441

do I get something wrong or is this a death rate of 6.8%? even if you multiply the cases with 15, as experts say the number of infected people could be 10-20 times higher than the actual confirmed cases it's still a death rate around 4.5%.
    this is sickening, pardon the pun...:o

Depending on the amount of testing being done , the true number of cases is believed to be multiples of the reported number, as much as 10 to 20 times, so the actual mortality rate is likely to be closer to 1%
    South Korea is doing 10000 tests per day, with a death rate of around 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Yes, the bit saying that there's an awful lot of holier than thou **** here was the bit that was BS.

if you cant see that, then you are blinkered I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

1axg30do8om41.jpg[img][/img]

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

gmisk wrote: »
    It is extremely high but they have an extremely old population (I think oldest in Europe).

How does our population compare relatively anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dolt of a sister posting on Instagram in London in a packed wine bar saying "not quite ready for quarantine yet"

And she an NHS worker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I have not darkened the door of a pub since we were advised not to (couple of weeks) nor will I.

I never said I had either. yet everyone jumps to hysterics immediately. that is the point I am making. Getting the pitchforks out and marching on Temple bar or wherever solves nothing.
    Direction needs to come from government.

If you posted something more rational like this from the beginning maybe people wouldn't jump down your throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

statesaver wrote: »
    Aye, pubs are gonna shut.
    I've an uneasy feeling about that too.

Everywhere will be shut not just pubs if they haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

if you cant see that, then you are blinkered I reckon

Wanting people to follow the official guidelines is not holier than thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

I have not darkened the door of a pub since we were advised not to (couple of weeks) nor will I.

I never said I had either. yet everyone jumps to hysterics immediately. that is the point I am making. Getting the pitchforks out and marching on Temple bar or wherever solves nothing.
    Direction needs to come from government.

The direction has come from government and predictably addicts are ignoring that direction.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    No... just an idea of what you were objecting to. Your statement didn't indicate what you were objecting to.

I am however now rapidly losing interest in knowing, so let's leave it there.

OK Einstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Vivienne23 wrote: »
    Bday during the week supposed to go for a couple of drinks and an Indian tonight and had a few plans to go somewhere tomoro to finish it off

Instead I’m after a bag of fizzy sweets and have a can lined up for the comedown , to think where we were a few weeks ago to now is crazy

Stay in lads tis hardly worth it and ye might as well get used to it for the foreseeable , lots of pubs closing tonight fair play to them , I hope they get well supported when things come right

Happy belated birthday and fair play for doing the right thing. More people like you needed. Hopefully when all this ends you can an even bigger bash to celebrate but for now it’s about getting through

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Spain officially goes into lockdown from Monday
    It will be effective from Monday at eight in the morning. It is allowed to go to work, buy food or medicine, as well as return to the place of residence and travel to attend to the elderly, minors and dependents. But Sánchez has warned that "circulation must be done individually" unless a dependent person is accompanied.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1238920350274068483

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

some info on testing up to the 9th march

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How does our population compare relatively anyone know?

19% over 65.
    But I think we have higher % of people with cystic fibrosis and asthma than Italy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

statesaver wrote: »
    France going into lockdown, was not expecting that.

Monday morning i expect Ireland will follow.

I expect it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

If you posted something more rational like this from the beginning maybe people wouldn't jump down your throat.

I can express myself poorly at times, it's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Personal responsibility.

Something as a nation has vanished.

Everyone deserves a house from the state just because...

Yup, state expected to pull them out of any hole they fall into, why take any responsibility on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

This is what Italian doctors have been saying for weeks.

1) This is nothing like the flu
    2) This is not an old person's illness

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1238904532039589889

Only there have been zero deaths under 30 in Italy

Absolutely zero

Yes some have been hospitalised but have all recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Just went through Galway city centre a half hour ago ... not as busy as usual but still has a lot of ****ing idiots out eating close to each other and having the pints and the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

ITman88 wrote: »
    It may be worth starting one in after hours, economic effects are completely disregarded in this. Very one sided discussion

They are not disregarded, they are outweighed by more immediate concerns by almost every government on the planet that gets growth in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Tomrota

Yes, so why aren’t the government closing the pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    19% over 65.
    But I think we have higher % of people with cystic fibrosis and asthma than Italy.

The number with CF is very low, just over 1k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Have a look at this:

https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2020/03/14/face-au-coronavirus-le-ministre-de-la-sante-recommande-de-ne-pas-prendre-d-ibuprofene_6033095_3224.html

It's a French article, so I can only read it in Google Chrome.

Apparently, ibuprofen may not be recommended for home treatment of Coronavirus. Something about aggregating symptoms or something.

Ibuprofen is usually my go to medicine when I don't feel well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement