Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My local has hand sanitizer for everyone coming in. All good

• Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I expect it too.

I say Monday as well. The CMO was asked this evening when any next steps would be announced and he said they were meeting Monday morning and I'd be shocked if there wasn't a full lockdown which will mirror the partial one until march 29th and see where things are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,891 ✭✭✭billyhead

These gob****es in the pubs deserve everything coming their way. It's the loved ones of you and me who are heeding to the HSE protocols that will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This is what Italian doctors have been saying for weeks.

1) This is nothing like the flu
    2) This is not an old person's illness

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1238904532039589889

How can you say it's not an old person's illness when the mortality rate for older people is so high compared to younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭sonic85

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Not sure now is the time to adopt the ostrich approach.:rolleyes:

You're replying to a lad who has an alcohol beverage as his username - I think everyone knows where his priorities lie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Everywhere will be shut not just pubs if they haven't already.

Shut till when?
    June, July, August, September?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My friend's grandmother collapsed today and she wasn't able to go to A&E to be treated because of this stupid virus. She has Alzheimers :'(
    :( Ah jaysus TC. I was a carer for someone with that and I'm so glad I'm not any more, because I know my anxiety about that kinda thing and homecare arrangements and respite breaks and basic shopping and the rest would be revving up. Never mind the district nurses and the homecare folks who work hard helping people in the community. I'm in the luckiest category and don't I bloody know it. Not married, no kids, family are very extended, have a roof over my head and can financially weather this emergency. I really feel for my friends and folks in general with kids, often with big debts and those with elderly and/or chronically ill rellies, or chronically ill themselves. :( It's piss easy for me to go full hermit prepper. Like I say, I'm bloody fortunate in this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They are not disregarded, they are outweighed by more immediate concerns by almost every government on the planet that gets growth in cases.

Its almost as if survival is more important than the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Logan Roy wrote: »
    1441/ (21,157 x 15) = 0.45%

thanks for that, that's right, got it wrong. That's what's calculating with an already upset minds causing me...sorry for that and relieved with the corrected number..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I presume it is the stage Spain and Italy are at... all non essential businesses closed... Citizens to stay at home unless they need food, medical supplies or emergencies.

e.g. France will shut down cafes, shops, restaurants and cinemas to stem the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, prime minister Éduoard Philippe has announced. Philippe said public transport will be kept open but asked citizens to limit their use, reported Reuters news agency. The closures will come into effect at midnight on Saturday. He told a news conference that exceptions on the shop ban would include food stores, pharmacies and gas stations.

I would say bubs restaurants hotels will be closed from Monday.
    Then a final stage like Spain France ect
    Will be issued 27th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,040 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Shut till when?
    June, July, August, September?

If I knew that I'd do the euromillions(if that's still going) next Tuesday. I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Action by the UK, hopefully ROI will follow

Elderly could be quarantined for four months in 'wartime-style' mobilisation to combat coronavirus, writes Robert Peston

People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months, under a "wartime-style" mobilisation effort by the government likely to be enforced within the next 20 days.

It is part of a series of measures being prepared by the prime minister, health secretary, chief medical officer and chief scientific adviser to prevent the health service from "falling over" and to save lives as Covid-19 becomes an epidemic in the UK.

Other measures already being planned include:

the forced requisitioning of hotels and other buildings as temporary hospitals;
    the requisitioning of private hospitals as emergency hospitals;
    temporary closure of pubs, bars and restaurants - some time after next weekend's ban on mass gatherings;
    emergency manufacture by several companies of respirators that would be necessary to keep alive those who become acutely ill;
    the closure of schools for perhaps a few weeks, but with skeleton staff kept on to provide childcare for key workers in the NHS and police.

People over 70 will be instructed by the government to stay in strict isolation at home or in care homes for four months. Credit: PA

According to a senior government source, the perception that ministers are reluctant to make difficult and costly decisions to battle the virus is wrong. It is simply that the chief medical officer Chris Whitty and the chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance are waiting for the optimal time to force restrictions on our way of life that will be very painful.

They are deeply worried that some older people will simply die at home from neglect, after they are quarantined, so want to start the quarantine as late as possible - some time within the next five to 20 days.

The prime minister Boris Johnson and health secretary Matt Hancock are counting on neighbours and friends to rally round to make sure no one is neglected. "We are looking for a huge community effort," said a source.
    According to a senior government source, the perception that ministers are reluctant to make difficult and costly decisions to battle the virus is wrong.
    According to a senior government source, the perception that ministers are reluctant to make difficult and costly decisions to battle the virus is wrong. Credit: PA

The prime minister's adviser, Dominic Cummings, has also initiated conversations with Uber and Deliveroo about taking food to the old and vulnerable when they are put into forced isolation.

As I have written in previous notes, all government efforts are based on the assumptions that there won't be a vaccine within a year and that everything has to be done to protect the collapse of the health service.

What keeps ministers and officials awake at night is the fear that if the epidemic becomes too great they would have to make appalling decisions, such as that the NHS would stop treating people over a certain age, such as 65.

"Everything is aimed at making sure the NHS is not overwhelmed, to save lives and to prevent hideous choices having to be made," said a source.

Plans are also well under way for doctors to give consultations to patients quarantined at home by video links over the internet.

PS. There are two other aspects of this wartime mobilisation

1) Army hospitals will be used.

2) Lockdowns of cities or parts of cities have NOT been ruled out.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-14/elderly-to-be-quarantined-for-four-months-in-wartime-style-mobilisation-to-combat-coronavirus/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Tomrota wrote: »
    Yes, so why aren’t the government closing the pubs?
    I know this place is already teeming with unsubstantiated rumour, but several lads we know in the Gardaí and DF are giving us the heads up that because of the surge on pubs tonight, now lockdown is imminent. Looks like we won't need to complain for too much longer. It's already much too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I think we should stop reporting on the number of people that have it. Or at least just give a vague figure. We don’t need to know exactly how many have it and we certainly don’t need to know the locations of each case.

It’s just creating more panic and hysteria.

And that webcam in temple bar should be switched off. Too many people stressing themselves looking at it.

The less we know, the better really. People just aren’t handling it well at all.

Good point.
    This thread is proof that people can’t handle the truth, they are better off not knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tomrota wrote: »
    Yes, so why aren’t the government closing the pubs?

Why can't people decide not to go?

Why must they nanny state them into it. Closing pubs would see questions asked about noon essential shops etc. People need to bear personal responsibility as alien as it is in this country

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

owlbethere wrote: »
    Have a look at this:

https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2020/03/14/face-au-coronavirus-le-ministre-de-la-sante-recommande-de-ne-pas-prendre-d-ibuprofene_6033095_3224.html

It's a French article, so I can only read it in Google Chrome.

Apparently, ibuprofen may not be recommended for home treatment of Coronavirus. Something about aggregating symptoms or something.

Ibuprofen is usually my go to medicine when I don't feel well.

Me too.
    It might make you feel better, but it dampens down your body's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Do the postal services still operate in the countries under lockdown?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Adiboo wrote: »

Good question. I would expect so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

statesaver wrote: »
    Aye, pubs are gonna shut.
    I've an uneasy feeling about that too.

I cannot see this happening. The country would go in full meltdown. Maybe limit the time they are opened might be the approach they take. Local here is no different to a normal Saturday night from when I passed it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i kinda feel like every single bit of money in the world right now needs to be going into this thing - primarily into ICU beds and equipment.

deal with the global depression after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

niallo27 wrote: »
    How can you say it's not an old person's illness when the mortality rate for older people is so high compared to younger people.

Because young people are also dying. A lower percentage does not mean zero.

Fairly straightforward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suspect they'd have to A. They'd be a lifeline in many ways, given you can get so many basic things online.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Only there have been zero deaths under 30 in Italy

Absolutely zero

Yes some have been hospitalised but have all recovered.

30's old now? In terms of dying 60-70 is considered young.

Also I think your statistic is bull****, maybe you're thinking of South Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

shesty wrote: »
    People I know are getting angry....we are all stuck at home with small kids, trying to keep them away from the general population (and jesus, it has been 2 days and I would love to go to the pub!!) And for what, if the 'sure I"ll be fine" attitude prevails and pubs are open, enabling it??We can't juggle working at home and childcare and keeping kids amused/educated for months until the general populace cops on and realises it has to make a few minor changes to their lives for a few brief weeks of their lives??People need to stop being so selfish.It is absolutely crap being stuck at home, but as I have said before I would rather be doing it for a couple of weeks, than have to go into total lockdown for an indefinite period.(which may yet happen)....all because people wanted a few pints to pass the time.

Your childcare situation is not the biggest problem here, people are dying.

Latest news :

BOARDS.IE HAS GONE FULL FACEBOOK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Will be grand here. People need to relax the cax. A lot of people are just using this as an opportunity to bash Ireland’s drinking culture. This thread is in no way reflective of the general population, all of whom are out doing normal things like normal people tonight.

There’s no right or wrong. Unless you went into lockdown last week then you’re just listening to whichever government and powers be tell you to do.

I won’t be going out over this period unless there’s a reason. Had a reason to go out this weekend but having been sick, opted against it. I would have felt justified. I’m not just going to go out and sink pints for sake of it but if it was my birthday and had made plans I would have followed through on them for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

fritzelly wrote: »
    This thread is hard enough to keep up with without the whingefest about people having a drink in a pub
    Got a problem with it complain to the VFI or the government instead of the self-flagellation on a thread about a virus

Pathetic comment

• Registered Users Posts: 30,737 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In Italy yes - postal services, banks and insurance are deemed as essential.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yes. Supermarkets and chemists too. The nessessities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I cannot see this happening. The country would go in full meltdown. Maybe limit the time they are opened might be the approach they take. Local here is no different to a normal Saturday night from when I passed it earlier
    Well thats why they need to be shut. Alco's aren't able to resist by themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement