Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Very easy in these times to lose hope, unfortunately we as a nation are mostly a bunch of greedy, selfish, ****, there is absolutely no excuse in this world of social media existence for people to not be educated on what is unraveling in front of us, we had a small advantage in that we are an island and we were also a few weeks behind the curve, we literally have a crystal ball telling us what's probably going to happen in a few short weeks and yet here we are.

Do people think we are some sort of special case? that this virus will skip over us?
    This is'nt a rant on just the pubs, it's on all of it, Paddy's day, Cheltenham, open ports, ****ers stockpiling, greedy ****ers forcing people into work, there is a solution that will not stop this virus absolutely, but a solution that will, as late in the day as it is, save lives.
    Our politicians are toothless, we have no personal responsibibity, the attitude of 'I'm alright Jack' is rampant.

We have ~250 Intensive Care Unit beds for the country, let that sink in...250 ICU for the entire country, Italy have a far superiour health service in terms of bed numbers per population than we ever will and have far more resources to throw at the problem and they are now forced to leave people to die because the health system can't cope, Italy BTW have about 2.5 times the number of ICU beds per 100,000 population than we have.
    We owe it to the nurses and doctors, the elderly, the sick not to be a bunch of toolbags over the coming weeks and months, unfortunately if what i've seen posted here over the the last week is anything to go by i don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Number still creeping up for germany norway and spain

Lets just say an unhealthy relationship with drink. These edgelords are giving two fingers to everyone here. They don't care if they get it, and dont care if they pass it on to others. People could die because of them.

It's treasonous.

I don’t think you can blame an unhealthy relationship with drink, sure you can buy drink in the off-licence. I bought a rake of drink Thursday evening as I feared lockdown might come and even without it I’m not risking going to the pub. Will top up the drink stocks tomorrow or Monday again.

I think the people going to the pubs just don’t care or are understanding things. Plenty of people in cafes, restaurants etc too and drink can’t be blamed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

elperello wrote: »
    Not Ibuprofen according to France.
    This is from a reliable media source.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

That a 1st line anti-pyretic, anti-inflammatory and painkiller, that is a 1st line treatment for so many of the symptoms that Covid-19 presents with could be exacerbating the disease is worrying.

Hopefully some peer reviewed info will be available on this situation soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Probably because the recovered person hasn't met the required criteria to be listed as recovered. I don't know what that criteria is but maybe it's time based or a set number of false test results. If the person has recovered but hasn't completed these steps then that would explain it.
    Many have recovered to get 'reinfected' or perhaps just show symptoms again with the same infection. We don't know or don't have enough evidence. Hence I believe the recovered criteria may be quite hard to reach in a way. Gotta be sure.

You could be very well correct, but doesn't it seem a bit strange that an infected individual would be considered to hit the criteria to be "cured" and released from hospital, but not to be reported as such?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Reeling in the years 2020 is gonna be long!

i wish i could fast forward and watch it with a few cans right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

One Pico has closed down forever and if what I am hearing is true we will be having a mini Paris situation on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone else’s mental health really deteriorating? I can’t think about anything else except this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

LRNM wrote: »
    We have a family dinner planned for Monday. 8 people. Two of them over 60.

Would you go?

No. I wouldn't. We have a few birthdays coming up in my family and we have agreed not to meet up. Parents over 60. Sister with asthma and previous pneumonia. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

A lot of what we do in Ireland revolves around alcohol and pubs... If people were told going to a pub might make you gravely ill, some would still go.

Our biggest tourist attraction is a brewery.

What does that tell you about this country's relationship with alcohol?

Serious health problems and other issues at home and pretty humiliating abroad to be honest.

The stereotypes are earned, not given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Shoes and Boots

Too much panic anyway and plenty people doing serious money on it.The most common problem is the social media,fake news and people who does not know what word medicine mean.I pretty sure that government do what insurance companies want,because biggest loses will be in insurance industry.And how we all know,insurance companies has one of the strongest lobbies in government.The corruption in insurance company does not surprise anybody .This is life insurance,health insurance,mortgage ,etc,etc,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

cjmc wrote: »
    Has the government issued new rules?

No, it was said on the 9 news though that they have been extremely disappointed with the reaction of the public so far and don't feel people are taking it seriously enough or showing personal responsibility and as a result more restrictions will be talked about in a meeting on Monday. Presume that means measure similar to what has been introduced in France tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

LRNM wrote: »
    We have a family dinner planned for Monday. 8 people. Two of them over 60.

Would you go?

It's about risk reduction. I may be an unknown carrier, so no. I am (not) over 60, so higher fatality risk, so no.
    If I miss the dinner, will it have an adverse affect on others? No. So, it is about risk reduction. Some things we need to do, or have to do. Some things we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

statesaver wrote: »
    We must hang out with different crowds, thankfully.
    I don't think a person's circle is entirely representative of Ireland's relationship with alcohol....but I am also thankful we don't hang out.... if that helps ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

voluntary wrote: »
    paracetamol for a fever, solpadaine as a painkiller.
    there's an advice not to take ibuprofen with this virus.

don't take these unless the fever is unmanageable. Your body fights the virus better with a fever. Only reduce the temperature if it go above 39 C or so

Sounds like good advice. I will confirm this over the phone with my gp on Monday thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You need an isolation hospital and accomodation on site for healthcare workers otherwise they become a vector for further spread.

The government need to identify such a facility asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone else’s mental health really deteriorating? I can’t think about anything else except this.

yes. i'm prone to anxiety at the best of times and it's pretty bad right now.

the following helps me;

walks
    books
    funny youtube podcasts not about corona
    computer games

basically anything to take you mind off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

skimpydoo wrote: »
    One Pico has closed down forever and if what I am hearing is true we will be having a mini Paris situation on our hands.
    No I am sorry this is simply not true.
    One pico...not closed forever.
    Clearly says on their twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

fin12 wrote: »

Not yet but I can see lots of people getting upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Our biggest tourist attraction is a brewery.

What does that tell you about this country's relationship with alcohol?

Serious health problems and other issues at home and pretty humiliating abroad to be honest.

The stereotypes are earned, not given.

Every high profile visitor has to be trotted into Guinnesses or a pub for the obligatory pose with a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

No, it was said on the 9 news though that they have been extremely disappointed with the reaction of the public so far and don't feel people are taking it seriously enough or showing personal responsibility and as a result more restrictions will be talked about in a meeting on Monday. Presume that means measure similar to what has been introduced in France tonight.
    New restrictions have already started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Very easy in these times to lose hope, unfortunately we as a nation are mostly a bunch of greedy, selfish, ****....

I've cut off most of your rant which is grossly unfair to the majority of people are none of the things you've stated above. Don't be a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The positive thing is The more people will at home,the more babies will born :) Country gonna BabyBooming !

Maybe in rural Mayo if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

According to their own statements they haven’t closed forever and are planning to reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What I don't understand is that so many people are (rightly) concerned about pubs and clubs staying open yet have no issue with the multitude of flights landing here all day long, many from affected areas. Makes no sense..

If the pubs are closed and you stay at home you have zero chance of meeting the passengers of those flights or anyone who could have been in contact with them.

What's hard to understand?

Stay at home or have a walk. But do not attend places like pubs, cinemas, aircrafts etc.

If everyone follows this simple advice we will be fine.

I have to work tomorrow and will, so will many people, but if all of them stay out of high risk places the chances are that we will all be just fine.

If half of the country go for a pint the chances are much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Getting angry at people who frequent pubs isn't going to change the fact they are there tonight as we speak. The only solution at this stage is for the government to lock down the entire country and all flights, particularly from the UK, which must be isolated from the rest of the world, given the absolutely insane path they're following. By locking down the country we can control the spread and deal with it effectively. The precious economy is an after thought compared to life and death, notwithstanding the fact that a major recession will result in deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

New restrictions have already started.

Go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Just seeing the vids from Spain and Italy from the Apartment blocks, those southerners sure have spirit, that to me is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭paul71

Your lungs filling with fluid and being drowned is also dangerous to anyone.

Let the professionals keep your temperature down if they're there and it's deemed to be required. Otherwise I wouldn't really second guess what your body's response is to try to save you.

That is advice from professions, I mentioned 2 public health nurses with in excess of 60 years combined experience, there is a distinct possibility that the health services will be overwhelmed in a couple of weeks and I owe it to my children to be informed and ready in the event I cannot get them to a doctor.

I hope it does not reach that point, I hope they wont get an infection, but I intend to be informed and ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement