Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 caipin

If we go in the direction of a lockdown incl. shops, what happens to the people who couldn't afford to buy in food for a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Posted earlier but got swallowed among the huge volume of posts. Are coronavirus tests free or do we pay for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Mick Wallace throwing his tuppence in talking about immigrants need to be let in more than we currently do now.

He and his kind bankrupt the country faitr play for name checking him well done

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

fr336 wrote: »
    Do I really have to spell it out?

1. Young people are far, far, far, far, far, far less likely to run into severe complications and death with this.

2. The young people have their whole lives ahead of them to do whatever the hell they want.

3. Just what is the big deal with isolating? People don't seen capable at the moment even for a single day, even though they do that normally plenty anyway! And for young people, it's ironic they want to be out as they are so glued to their phones all the time.

The reason any younger people I know question the isolation is purely economic, they would be happy to work on and protect the elderly and vulnerable in isolation.
    Seems reasonable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Shn99 wrote: »
    Posted earlier but got swallowed among the huge volume of posts. Are coronavirus tests free or do we pay for them?

free for individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

caipin wrote: »
    If we go in the direction of a lockdown incl. shops, what happens to the people who couldn't afford to buy in food for a couple of weeks?

Same as before the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

No supermarkets have closed anywhere, even in Wuhan. People will just have to queue up like good boys and girls and get a grip if it came to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

YFlyer wrote: »
    For my farming relatives. Will sheep dip kill the virus?

tell them not to mess around with sheep dip...it contains a chemical from the same nerve agent family as sarin..trust me from personal experience...practice EXTREME caution with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MustSpionKop

Think I'll unsubscribe from this thread for my own sanity. Grown adults who need the state to close the pubs for them because they're either too selfish or too thick to follow guidelines. It won't be these gob****es that suffer though, it'll be the poor vulnerable unfortunates they infect. Thankfully, I know plenty of frontline workers that restore my faith in humanity while johnny dickhead is sitting in the pub thinking how great he is.

Couldn't have put it better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

blanch152 wrote: »
    What an idiotic post. If pubs and people are sensible, pubs can remain open with social distancing enforced.

The problem once again is Ireland’s entitlement culture and the refusal to take personal responsibility for anything and childishly think the government can solve every issue.

In the absence of that they should be shut down for a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

fr336 wrote: »
    No supermarkets have closed anywhere, even in Wuhan. People will just have to queue up like good boys and girls and get a grip if it came to it.

World needs a good cull of morons anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jesus, relax people. No supermarkets are closing down.

In Italy, the highest affected country in Europe, the supermarkets are still open. People are queueing at a certain time each day. All very calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'm in it myself. And I stand by the 'invincible' cohort. It's an age thing, mortality is far from many of their minds.

Oh ok thought ya were born mid 70s leaving ya older than the age bracket you mentioned!
    My bad apologies

When the dust settles the British people will hopefully realise that their government cares much more about money than they do about them.

I think that many people realised that after the Tory's handling of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Say 40% of the population get Covid 19. Roughly 2 million, given WHO guidance that's a conservative enough figure.

You have 300,000 in the 18-42 years category. There's a cohort of this group who regard themselves as the 'invincibles'. If 0.2% of this group die that's 6,000. So there will be some cocky p*icks who are in for a ride awakening.

Before the 4 or 5 usual suspect naysayers come on these are WHO percentages. 40% infected is lower end of the scale.

Edit: Actually looking at 2016 census we have 2 million in the 18-24 category. So 40,000 deaths..my God.

Not a single country, including the epicenter has anywhere near that 40% infection rate. That's an alarmist figure that bares no basis in reality.
    Anyway, think you forgot to carry the one on those calculations. It's not 2%, it's 0.2% for that age cohort.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

64 dead and 16538 counted cases by next Saturday by my calculations. Real infection rate 65K. based on the R-0 and exponential function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

d51984 wrote: »
    So, wheres everyone going for Paddys day? I might go to the kitchen, then the sitting room... Might even be a rebel and go on a room crawl.

On a serious note, Stay safe Ireland. Huge respect to everyone on the front line.

Stay safe Ireland. God bless you and yours.

Out for a hill walk with himself on St Patrick's Day, bring a packed lunch with us, no customary pint afterwards, having my mum around for dinner in the evening. I know, we're wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Slightly lower global total today, by a few hundred. 10.6k new cases worldwide today, about 10.8k yesterday.
    Though several countries have began to only test severe cases so that may be the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The amount of bottles of Corona I'm seeing on Snapchat stories right now.....

This thread has lost the run of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Most people seem very confident that this virus has only a mild effect on younger people before we even get a chance to see how the recovery process plays out. I’ve seen a few things from aids about longer lasting effects.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

This is a post some lad put up on Facebook. You would want to see the stupid replies he is getting from some, calling him stupid, scaremongering etc. Unbelievable that people still ain't getting the message.
    Here is the link for it.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2628633673930845&id=100003527145747

WHY IRELAND IS IN TROUBLE

Lads,

I've been reading about this virus since January, and like most people, I was cracking jokes about it and did not take it seriously at all. That changed completely when someone explained the numbers to me and explained why we in Ireland in particular are in trouble. I have not stopped thinking about it since. You may not think that we are in trouble based on the number of confirmed cases so far, but we are.

I'm going to write this to you in an effort to explain what the **** is actually going on and hopefully help in the effort. A lot of people are ringing me and asking me if I know anything on the inside. I don't know much more than what is in the news, but I have probably spotted some of the important stuff that you may have missed.

I've been tracking the numbers and confirmed cases in Ireland have been growing by 30% a day on average, which means the number of cases doubles every 2-3 days. Based on those trends, and without the shutdown, there would be 100,000 confirmed cases within a month.

But the situation is actually much worse. Based on what happened in China and Italy, the actual number of cases in Ireland is almost certainly in the thousands already. The problem is that with this virus, you can have it, not have any symptoms, and still be infecting everyone around you before you feel sick. The Government knows this. That is why they shut the country down.

On the international numbers, over 90% of cases will recover. But 9% will be seriously ill, and about 5% will require intensive care (ICU) and at least 2.5% will need ventilators.

The Government has said between 25% and 75% of the population will get the virus. If 25% of the Irish population get it, which based on the numbers above is a very low estimate, that's 1.2 million people.

5% needing intensive care means 60,000 people will need intensive care beds to stay alive.

We currently have 277 intensive care beds in Ireland.

I'm going to say that again:

At least 60,000 Irish people will need an ICU bed to stay alive.

We only have 277 ICU beds in Ireland.

If too many people get sick in a short space of time, many, many Irish men and women are going to die when they could have been saved. Ireland is a small country. This is going to be someone in your family or someone you know. Or their mother. Or their father.

The staff in ICU wards know the numbers. Their representative body released a statement on Thursday, which was in the Irish Times, saying that they know that they are going to be making choices on who gets an ICU bed or who gets a ventilator. They said they will be making "challenging decisions". I'll translate that: It means the staff are going to be deciding who lives and who dies.

It has been happening in Italy already, and Italy has much better ICU care than we do. In terms of cases, we are 2 weeks behind Italy. The older you are, the less likely they are going to try to save you. Don't think this only applies to over 70s. If you are over 40, and need ICU, but a 30 year old also needs it, chances are the 30 year old will get it and you will die. If that doesn't scare you, you don't fully understand it.

It is absolutely nuts, but this is what is going to happen.

If we can lower the number of cases AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, we lower the number of people needing intensive care AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, then we free up more ICU beds, and we lower the number of Irish people who die in Irish hospitals. It is that simple.

This could be someone close to you. Your mam. Your dad. Your partner. Your granny. Your granddad. Your brother. Your sister. Your aunt. Your uncle. Your neighbour. Your friend.

You do not want any of them dying because there was not enough ventilators or ICU beds to go around. It will not be the fault of the ICU staff. If you want to blame someone for that, blame years of governments giving tax cuts instead of investing in the health service.

If you are furious even thinking of the idea of your loved ones dead in a coffin because a doctor thinks they are too old or are not strong enough, and giving a bed to someone who is a bit younger, then good, you are right to be. You will also be more willing to listen to what you need to do next to help stop that happening:

STAY THE **** AT HOME AND ONLY GO OUT IF YOU NEED FOOD.

Watch Netflix. Read a book. Binge on a TV series. Go on Youtube. Eat food. Learn to cook. Learn to sew. Write a book. Do a diary. Figure out your life. Do press ups. Do sit ups. Do chin ups. Do zumba dancing. Do an online course in astronomy. Or Yoga. Or sports management. Or whatever the **** you want.

Do whatever the **** you want. You have absolutely no excuse not to keep yourself entertained at home.

Do not go for pints. Do not have a house party. Do not go to a house party. Do not go for coffee. Do not go for a meal. Do not go for a chat. Do not visit your auntie. Do not visit your parents. Do not bring the kids over to their friends. Do not let friends come over to you.

If you absolutely have to get out of the house, go for a walk on your own or with someone you are living with. But in general:

STAY THE **** AT HOME UNTIL THE NUMBER OF CASES STARTS COMING DOWN.

If you want to be a hero in this, and want to save lives, but don't know what to do, stay the **** at home.

P.S: The Brits are making a balls of it again and are not staying at home. Lots of them are going to die because they are not staying at home. Don't be like the Brits. Stay at home.

P.P.S: The more people who understand what is going on, the better. So send it on to whoever you think would benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,662 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

owlbethere wrote: »
    How did you know the virus started in September of last year?

The virus was first identified in January of this year, I think. In Wuhan, in China, people started appearing in December with similar symptoms

It appears it was November, not Sept.

https://www.google.co.uk/m?q=when+did+covid+19+start&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new&espv=1

I distinctly remember hearing it on the news before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,305 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

blanch152 wrote: »
    What an idiotic post. If pubs and people are sensible, pubs can remain open with social distancing enforced.

The problem once again is Ireland’s entitlement culture and the refusal to take personal responsibility for anything and childishly think the government can solve every issue.

How do pubs enforce social distancing exactly? I mean you have a load of lads with 5 or 6 pints on board- how do you force them into social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Sorry to hear you are unwell. I don't know where you are but suspect it's Cork since you mentioned SouthDoc.

I thought there was a drive through facility for testing in Cork, or was that just a Facebook thing.

There is in Cork, St Marys, the old orthopedic hospital but AFAIK you have to be referred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Plenty of the clowns out drinking probably love "being Irish" on Paddy's Day, when an Irish team or sports person does well, wearing their GAA jerseys abroad etc, but they won't do what's in the best interest of the country. I dislike sharing the same species as them, never mind nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

None of the lockdowns in Europe have included locking down supermarkets or chemists

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Sorry to hear you are unwell. I don't know where you are but suspect it's Cork since you mentioned SouthDoc.

I thought there was a drive through facility for testing in Cork, or was that just a Facebook thing.

Thank you, yes they definitely have that drive through. That's half the reason I rang again last night so I could swing up and get tested, but you still need to be referred I don't think you can just drive up. My 3 year old has a temp since Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bb12 wrote: »
    tell them not to mess around with sheep dip...it contains a chemical from the same nerve agent family as sarin..trust me from personal experience...practice EXTREME caution with it

Sheep dip is not a living specimen. I don't see the relationship. Explain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cloudatlas wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-vaccine-delays-brexit-ema-expensive

There is no vaccine! and they are starting to talk about how we won't get it. :confused:

there will be a vaccine. a few different countries have already developed one and they are going through trials. but best case won't available until early 2021.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement