Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Tried to stay away from it this evening but WhatsApp groups are lit all day and this was probably already posted but what the **** is wrong with people

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1238929572701384704?s=19

Selfish bastards putting the lives of elderly and immune deficient people at risk and ****ing over the people doing God's work in the hospitals

Call it faux outrage but personally I'm ****ing disgusted at this behaviour

Fair ****s to Harris for calling this out straight
    Simon expressing outrage is not enough, he has the power to close the pubs now but I have a feeling he will wait till Wednesday to do this. The Vintners Association has too much power in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

wakka12 wrote: »
    Slightly lower global total today, by a few hundred. 10.6k new cases worldwide today, about 10.8k yesterday.
    Though several countries have began to only test severe cases so that may be the reason

You cannot trust the figures now, as heath systems get overloaded they start to only test those admitted to hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

laugh wrote: »
    Plenty of the clowns out drinking probably love "being Irish" on Paddy's Day, when an Irish team or sports person does well, wearing their GAA jerseys abroad etc, but they won't do what's in the best interest of the country. I dislike sharing the same species as them, never mind nationality.

The Government counted on the Irish to be sensible and avoid large gatherings.

They counted wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

sideswipe wrote: »
    Most people seem very confident that this virus has only a mild effect on younger people before we even get a chance to see how the recovery process plays out. I’ve seen a few things from aids about longer lasting effects.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-recovery-damage-lung-function-gasping-air-hong-kong-doctors-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Way too early for that. Could take awhile to recover fully that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

This thread has lost the run of itself.

Lets stir it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,528 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This thread has lost the run of itself.

So has the virus!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Social distancing in busy boozers on the weekends!!!!

More chance of finding Lord fooking Lucan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭eggy81

The level of vitriol and sarcasm on this thread directed even at non pro alcohol posts is astonishing. Literally every post gets picked apart by someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The dole queue is going to get very long very quickly. The government will need a system to stop everything trying to sign on all at once.
    Businesses are already closing and laying off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

kakee wrote: »
    This is a post some lad put up on Facebook. You would want to see the stupid replies he is getting from some, calling him stupid, scaremongering etc. Unbelievable that people still ain't getting the message.
    Here is the link for it.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2628633673930845&id=100003527145747

WHY IRELAND IS IN TROUBLE

Lads,

I've been reading about this virus since January, and like most people, I was cracking jokes about it and did not take it seriously at all. That changed completely when someone explained the numbers to me and explained why we in Ireland in particular are in trouble. I have not stopped thinking about it since. You may not think that we are in trouble based on the number of confirmed cases so far, but we are.

I'm going to write this to you in an effort to explain what the **** is actually going on and hopefully help in the effort. A lot of people are ringing me and asking me if I know anything on the inside. I don't know much more than what is in the news, but I have probably spotted some of the important stuff that you may have missed.

I've been tracking the numbers and confirmed cases in Ireland have been growing by 30% a day on average, which means the number of cases doubles every 2-3 days. Based on those trends, and without the shutdown, there would be 100,000 confirmed cases within a month.

But the situation is actually much worse. Based on what happened in China and Italy, the actual number of cases in Ireland is almost certainly in the thousands already. The problem is that with this virus, you can have it, not have any symptoms, and still be infecting everyone around you before you feel sick. The Government knows this. That is why they shut the country down.

On the international numbers, over 90% of cases will recover. But 9% will be seriously ill, and about 5% will require intensive care (ICU) and at least 2.5% will need ventilators.

The Government has said between 25% and 75% of the population will get the virus. If 25% of the Irish population get it, which based on the numbers above is a very low estimate, that's 1.2 million people.

5% needing intensive care means 60,000 people will need intensive care beds to stay alive.

We currently have 277 intensive care beds in Ireland.

I'm going to say that again:

At least 60,000 Irish people will need an ICU bed to stay alive.

We only have 277 ICU beds in Ireland.

If too many people get sick in a short space of time, many, many Irish men and women are going to die when they could have been saved. Ireland is a small country. This is going to be someone in your family or someone you know. Or their mother. Or their father.

The staff in ICU wards know the numbers. Their representative body released a statement on Thursday, which was in the Irish Times, saying that they know that they are going to be making choices on who gets an ICU bed or who gets a ventilator. They said they will be making "challenging decisions". I'll translate that: It means the staff are going to be deciding who lives and who dies.

It has been happening in Italy already, and Italy has much better ICU care than we do. In terms of cases, we are 2 weeks behind Italy. The older you are, the less likely they are going to try to save you. Don't think this only applies to over 70s. If you are over 40, and need ICU, but a 30 year old also needs it, chances are the 30 year old will get it and you will die. If that doesn't scare you, you don't fully understand it.

It is absolutely nuts, but this is what is going to happen.

If we can lower the number of cases AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, we lower the number of people needing intensive care AT A SINGLE POINT IN TIME, then we free up more ICU beds, and we lower the number of Irish people who die in Irish hospitals. It is that simple.

This could be someone close to you. Your mam. Your dad. Your partner. Your granny. Your granddad. Your brother. Your sister. Your aunt. Your uncle. Your neighbour. Your friend.

You do not want any of them dying because there was not enough ventilators or ICU beds to go around. It will not be the fault of the ICU staff. If you want to blame someone for that, blame years of governments giving tax cuts instead of investing in the health service.

If you are furious even thinking of the idea of your loved ones dead in a coffin because a doctor thinks they are too old or are not strong enough, and giving a bed to someone who is a bit younger, then good, you are right to be. You will also be more willing to listen to what you need to do next to help stop that happening:

STAY THE **** AT HOME AND ONLY GO OUT IF YOU NEED FOOD.

Watch Netflix. Read a book. Binge on a TV series. Go on Youtube. Eat food. Learn to cook. Learn to sew. Write a book. Do a diary. Figure out your life. Do press ups. Do sit ups. Do chin ups. Do zumba dancing. Do an online course in astronomy. Or Yoga. Or sports management. Or whatever the **** you want.

Do whatever the **** you want. You have absolutely no excuse not to keep yourself entertained at home.

Do not go for pints. Do not have a house party. Do not go to a house party. Do not go for coffee. Do not go for a meal. Do not go for a chat. Do not visit your auntie. Do not visit your parents. Do not bring the kids over to their friends. Do not let friends come over to you.

If you absolutely have to get out of the house, go for a walk on your own or with someone you are living with. But in general:

STAY THE **** AT HOME UNTIL THE NUMBER OF CASES STARTS COMING DOWN.

If you want to be a hero in this, and want to save lives, but don't know what to do, stay the **** at home.

P.S: The Brits are making a balls of it again and are not staying at home. Lots of them are going to die because they are not staying at home. Don't be like the Brits. Stay at home.

P.P.S: The more people who understand what is going on, the better. So send it on to whoever you think would benefit from it.

The reason he’s getting negative responses is because he has put it on Facebook, and to be honest, I’m guilty of this myself, if something isn’t broadcast by official authorities and properly quoted people will naturally challenge it.

Facebook has been full of horses€&it for 12 years now and I wouldn’t recommend taking anything serious on it.
    I’m not saying what this guy is saying isn’t the truth btw

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Slightly lower global total today, by a few hundred. 10.6k new cases worldwide today, about 10.8k yesterday.
    Though several countries have began to only test severe cases so that may be the reason

Limiting numbers in most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

One of the biggest problems with the whole crisis is peoples failure to grasp the exponential function.
    A scientist puts a bacteria in a petri dish at exactly noon. Every minute, the bacteria divides into two. At exactly 1:00 PM, the petri dish is full. At what time was the dish half full?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Gone a little quiet over on AH tonight.

After Hours:

8zqtlEF.png?1

Current affairs:

j7Cx4QM.png

eggy81 wrote: »
    The level of vitriol and sarcasm on this thread directed even at non pro alcohol posts is astonishing. Literally every post gets picked apart by someone.

It’s a discussion thread, if something is posted it’s going to need verified sources to back up and rightly so

Keplar240B wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems with the whole crisis is peoples failure to grasp the exponential function.
    A scientist puts a bacteria in a petri dish at exactly noon. Every minute, the bacteria divides into two. At exactly 1:00 PM, the petri dish is full. At what time was the dish half full?

It’s Saturday night, pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

tony1980 wrote: »
    Way too early for that. Could take awhile to recover fully that’s all.

50% of ICU cases in France are under 60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

The dole queue is going to get very long very quickly. The government will need a system to stop everything trying to sign on all at once.
    Businesses are already closing and laying off people.

They have an online facility and their workers are doing overtime and weekend work to manage it. Its on their site. Posted today. Its a start if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-14 at 22.19.13.jpeg

A lot of noise on twitter regarding this pic. Is this recent?

Non pro alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Close the borders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Credit to the Irish authorities they are I think taking the right approach. We will get to a point quite soon where only chemists and Supermarkets will be allowed open. The scary thing is until their is either immunity through infection or a vaccine then at what point will people be able to circulate like normal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

People here praising Simon Harris for calling out a pub in Dublin as great leadership or a sign of strength need to get real.
    This is a government minister who did nothing or refused to stop flights from infected countries because "movement of people, single market". EU seems to be first then Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Are there any modelling projections? I remember hearing on the news that modelling predictions would be completed this week but heard nothing more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ffs...must be a stag...absolute tossers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

What counties are they putting in the North West region ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How do pubs enforce social distancing exactly? I mean you have a load of lads with 5 or 6 pints on board- how do you force them into social distancing?
    Same way you would heard a flock/swarm/??? of cats.

Keplar240B wrote: »

Ironically, you have questioned people’s grasping of exponential functions . . . But said the bacteria divides, it multiplies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-14 at 22.19.13.jpeg

A lot of noise on twitter regarding this pic. Is this recent?
    What a load of absolute pr*cks.

• Advertisement

Ok, what’s the best educated researched guess on the numbers that will text positive in Ireland by say, end April?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement