Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I live in Offaly and many of the pubs are closing their doors tonight or already closed until further notice.

Bressie posted on Twitter earlier that the pubs in Mullingar were all closed or are closing tonight.

It's getting scary now.

I find it a small bit humorous that it takes the pubs to close for the whole thing to sink in with people.

I have a mate like that. Said to me "Ah stop would ya, you're over exaggerating and panicking" when I told him today the pubs will likely close.

Guarantee you if the pubs close he will all of a sudden change the tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Pubs closing isn't scary.
    The reports some of us are hearing from ICUs in Italy and now even the Mater are scary.

The imminent lockdown / restriction measures should be welcomed by any sane person.
    This will be great news if we want to save lives as best we can.
    I'm not saying it won't be easy, but it has to do done.

What reports from the Mater?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We need to do a few things stat.

Close pubs
    Stop flights into ireland
    Start producing ventilators, face masks and other necessary equipment
    can we quickly convert a factory to produce them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Anyone see this?

David Carretta (@davcarretta) Tweeted:
    Bergamo daily newspaper https://t.co/N3ECABz8dr https://twitter.com/davcarretta/status/1238791068071661568?s=20

Random thoughts.

RIP to any families this affected

Did you know that there were some 140 deaths in Ireland on Friday 13th according to death notices published for that day.

Maybe we could graph the deaths per day to see if there is an increase in "normal" deaths for people who were never tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

skimpydoo wrote: »
    You can fail once, and still have it because some people have only tested positive after at least 2 plus tests.

Good point,

From articles online, the quality of the results is tied to the specimen site eg a general swab of the mouth or nose isn’t as reliable as phlegm obtained through coughing. So a negative test result is linked to a general swab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Is anyone else struggling with people who think they're overreacting?

It seems most people on Ireland have a fair amount of cop on and are being very cautious and sensible, and the government have done a good job at shutting lots of stuff down.

I'm over in the UK at the minute and it's mostly business at usual. All the hand gel and toilet paper sold out, yet pubs are busy, restaurants are busy, trains packed.

I'm avoiding being inside anywhere I don't need to be, including supermarkets, and some people here are mocking me and telling me I'm insane. I had a friend come round for a glass of wine and asked him to wash his hands for 20 seconds when he arrived (because he showed no sign of going to do it, and started touching the bottle and other stuff in the kitchen) and he went mental at me and stormed out.

Am I being totally paranoid here? I feel like I'm on another planet compared to the people around me.

Nah it's is only a myth that the majority are correct common sense should really be called uncommon sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It seems most people on Ireland have a fair amount of cop on and are being very cautious and sensible, and the government have done a good job at shutting lots of stuff down.

I'm over in the UK at the minute and it's mostly business at usual. All the hand gel and toilet paper sold out, yet pubs are busy, restaurants are busy, trains packed.

I'm avoiding being inside anywhere I don't need to be, including supermarkets, and some people here are mocking me and telling me I'm insane. I had a friend come round for a glass of wine and asked him to wash his hands for 20 seconds when he arrived (because he showed no sign of going to do it, and started touching the bottle and other stuff in the kitchen) and he went mental at me and stormed out.

Am I being totally paranoid here? I feel like I'm on another planet compared to the people around me.
    Eh yeah! My parents are 59/60 and think I'm bonkers. I've suggested they pop a few bits aside but don't seem to be taking my advice, much to my worry and disappointment. I don't know how much more I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Is it reasonable to accuse people who are going to pubs and restaurants of being selfish?! The only way they'd be putting the lives of others in danger is if they were in close contact with elderly people and those younger people who have serious health problems.

So none of the people out there tonight have elderly parents, grandparents or are interacting with others that do.

Give me a ****ing break...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Everyone is rightly saying the idiots in temple bar tonight etc.

But the pubs that are open (bad enough) and allowing jam packed crowds (criminally negligent) deserve more scorn. People wouldn't be there if they weren't open.

Pubs wouldn't be long about closing if there were no customers.

Owners wouldn't be too long about sending staff home and telling them "sorry lads, not work and no pay for this week"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

facebook.
    I'm told the post has been taken down. Can anyone confirm Please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's terrifying how many people are so preoccupied with their God-given right to do as they please that they will rubbish anything they don't like the sound of, regardless of reasoning or explanation.

I've shared one of the viral facebook messages on the go tonight about the pubs and had people reply to tell me the numbers are bollocks, the facts are bollocks. They simply aren't. It's nearly more depressing to see so many heads in the sand as it is to see the virus itself unfolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've just been on the website for our local cinema, and it's closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the Irish public and Govt (along with the French and Germans and everyone else) have it spot on.

I'm a bit shocked at the lack of reaction in the UK and the way people are carrying on as if it's business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I went to Liverpool for the match on Wednesday. I could not get over how laid back and normal it was there. Cv19 never came up in any conversation.

Shops stocked. Streets busy. Was a but surreal when I returned to Ireland to empty shelves and schools closed in the space of 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Ok Canary Islands in full lockdown from Monday surely I have to get a refund for my flights and hotel due to travel on Monday?

You could always self isolate at the airport, would seem it's going to be pretty quiet there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It won't be that ordered. There'll be gardai outside each supermarket and everyone will stand a safe distance apart in a queue in the car park until they're ushered in.

keep a trolley length apart at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

You are not paranoid. You’re just a little weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Eh yeah! My parents are 59/60 and think I'm bonkers. I've suggested they pop a few bits aside but don't seem to be taking my advice, much to my worry and disappointment. I don't know how much more I can do.

My parents (in their 60s) are attending a family party this weekend, with very elderly people (90+) in attendance. I absolutely despair. I refused to go, on the off chance I am infected, and I begged them to cancel the bloody thing, but absolutely nobody is taking it seriously.

I'm absolutely terrified that they will come to regret this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ok Canary Islands in full lockdown from Monday surely I have to get a refund for my flights and hotel due to travel on Monday?

If your airline cancels I would think you would be refunded the flight costs. Hotel, not so sure, but your travel insurance may help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I'm told the post has been taken down. Can anyone confirm Please?

Yep shes deleted it that she posted people are so rude and ignorant she won't be updating any more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

You are not being paranoid. Your survival in the next couple of weeks could be depending on you not getting infected.

People aren't taking it seriously at all. I feel like I'm waving into blind eyes.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    That's what WHO predict.

Do the maths. 0.2 % of 2,000,000 aged 18-42 is 40,000.

Do the maths again 0.2% of 2m is 4000. A lot of people don’t appear to understand percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Gym I train at is still open

Very little precautions apart from one sanitizer dispenser and a small pack of flash antibacterial wipes on the 2nd floor

Are they foolish to remain open? It’s not a commercial gym , maybe 10 train at once and distance apart would be adhered to

I’m not going either way as much as I’d like to

Not worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I went to Liverpool for the match on Wednesday. I could not get over how laid back and normal it was there. Cv19 never came up in any conversation.

You should have stayed over there.

Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Spook_ie wrote:
    Can they test for antibodies?
    Not routinely right now but eventually Ab testing will be available.
    That wouldn't be of much use to detect a current/active infection. It takes time for antibodies to develop. It would determine post exposure to the virus.
    fritzelly wrote:
    You don't get a negative test - you are either positive or not positive (undetectable) I assume the HSE are doing follow up testing - anyone know?
    I think anyone currently infected is deemed recovered after 2 consecutive negative results. I may be corrected on that.

Remember the test numbers aren't just to determine new cases. Infected patients are tested every day until they recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Random thoughts.

RIP to any families this affected

Did you know that there were some 140 deaths in Ireland on Friday 13th according to death notices published for that day.

Maybe we could graph the deaths per day to see if there is an increase in "normal" deaths for people who were never tested?
    Good idea, hopefully someone in the HSE is already doing that, but I wouldn't risk any money on it. Panic the undertaking profession if a divergence from the expected figures emerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It is what I would call the far away syndrome. People watch bad things on the news, hear about the devastation the virus is causing and the hardship that so many people are enduring but it's the same as any other bad thing that is going on in the world. Most people don't really care until it effects them directly. They will get a dose of reality over the next fews months if the UK continue to handle the situation as they are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

To be fair to the Cork City pubs, the main ones have shut their doors. Reardons, Dwyers, Grand central, Oliver Plunkett to name a few all closed which is great to see. Usually quite local pubs though are seeing a lot of younger people come in due to them being closed though

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

I think you are being perfectly reasonable.

It is your health and wellbeing and if somebody is deciding not to follow simple precautions then they shouldn’t be around you.

I have stopped sending kids to training before the schools closed and have no problem telling their friends that they will not be playing with them outside.

I understand that they’ll propably be fine if they contract the virus but whoe will look after them if my wife and me are down with the virus and possibly in the hospital?

Nobody can guarantee that they won’t get sick and will be able to look after someone’s children.

In the case of the corona virus I choose to be overly cautious and it is my own choice.

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    No we don't ffs.

Yes we absolutely do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement