Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

niallo27 wrote: »

Interesting though that the cruise ship only hit 20% even though it should have been more like 80 or 90%. Plus the average age must have been very high.

Interesting indeed. I was on a cruise ship and you are right, a lot of retirees were on board

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

spookwoman wrote: »
    Probably the last update tonight Spain one more death
    Total New Cases 44,447 Total Deaths 1,796

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VnTtGtEGyzDr1sAdoFieLpUeUUP0mbzryebHGUbISj4/edit?usp=sharing
    hTA5fan.png

Numbers quiet encouraging until you see Italy. Let's just hope it's a bad day for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

CBear1993 wrote: »
    If you work for yourself. And my industry slows down in the next few weeks. What is there for financial protection, nothing? Just worried about paying my mortgage for me and the girlfriend. Started my own gig In January in construction and it looks like a horrible decision at the moment. I won’t get sick pay

If self-isolating on medical advice or if you are infected you will get the enhanced illness benefit.
    The enhanced arrangements are intended to reduce the financial loss incurred by workers, employed and self-employed people who are not adequately covered by occupational sick pay arrangements.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/aa51ba-who-the-enhanced-arrangements-are-intended-to-serve/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is this a recent thing that half the schools in Ireland head off skiing?

Its the first year that our school had planned it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I don't think the testing outside of the current guidlines starts until Monday? So we are still not testing anyone who could be a community invection. Open to correction as I have been trying to follow things a little less closely for my own sanity.

Oh really! I thought that the jump today was because of wider testing!

The number of community transmissions is key information as it indicates how much this thing is spreading around the place. It's awful to hear of anyone getting it but it's reassuring when it's traceable to travel or being around an infected person. But community transmission is really scary, it's so random.

I really wish they would give us more detailed information. Knowing more about the location of cases would also help I think. May give rise to panic in certain areas but do people not have the right to know how risky their town,city, maybe village is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Spanish Prime Minister's wife has tested positive for novel Coronavirus.

I'm sensing a pattern with this virus and politicians.

Yeah, they're actually getting tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

CBear1993 wrote: »
    If you work for yourself. And my industry slows down in the next few weeks. What is there for financial protection, nothing? Just worried about paying my mortgage for me and the girlfriend. Started my own gig In January in construction and it looks like a horrible decision at the moment. I won’t get sick pay

I feel your pain. My business has literally stopped the last week. I rent and sell mens formal suits. Every black tie ball in Dublin has been cancelled and plenty of weddings over the coming weeks also.We are a national award winning shop based in Dublin but I cannot believe how bad its got. We expect to turn over zelch over the coming weeks.

I really understand your health is your wealth and all that but the extra stress this is causing to us and trying to keep staff etc is huge. Hoping it doesn't last more than 6/8 weeks and we come out of it more united than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭worded

COVID-19 Ireland: Facts with Dr. Paddy Mallon

https://youtu.be/1CsAeuFAPy4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We're in the middle of a public health emergency. Comparing going to the pub to going to the supermarket is fcuking stupid. Panic buyers aside, people need to go to the supermarket to get provisions in etc. Nobody needs to go to the pub and especially not now. I highly doubt the lads and lassies after 5 or 6 pints are practicing good hand hygiene or social distancing.

Your right. Comparing going to the supermarket vs the pub is fcking stupid.

Edit: Far far far more ppl frequent the supermarket than a pub.

Does that not make sense to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

acequion wrote: »
    Oh really! I thought that the jump today was because of wider testing!

The number of community transmissions is key information as it indicates how much this thing is spreading around the place. It's awful to hear of anyone getting it but it's reassuring when it's traceable to travel or being around an infected person. But community transmission is really scary.

I really wish they would give us more detailed information. Knowing more about the location of cases would also help I think. May give rise to panic in certain areas but do people not have the right to know how risky their town,city, maybe village is?

From what I remember from the briefing today, someone did ask the question to Tony Holohan if the jump was due to more tests, and he said there was more tests done, but the jump was not totally because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Shn99 wrote: »
    Cant speak for all but in our school, the 2nd years were due to go on a Ski trip to Italy at the end of the month costing €850 per person. Was announced the other day they'd get a €630 refund not to mind all the money parents spent on clothing ect that cant be refunded. But its better to be safe than sorry. None of the parents complaining and i wouldnt be either

Wee girl was meant to go to Scotland next weekend, cancelled, money back ,

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Fcuk I’m not old but we only went to Delphi in school tours, I didn’t think I was that much of a peasant, and still haven’t gone skiing as an adult!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

dashdoll wrote: »
    Good to know thanks. Someone in my family owns a pub and called me to let me know so the conversation did happen. Local detective is friendly with them and said it about the formal announcement. Anyway its tough for them as rural pubs are decimated and we all the the government dont help the self employed. It is very necessary though and if pubs are closed, coffee shops and restauranta will also need to follow suit. Health comes first but I work in a professional services firm and this is going to take some recovery economy wise.

No doubting the conversation happened, could be something that the gardai are trying to get the social distancing out there. But it's not something that is being passed on to every pub, theres nothing official.

I'd expect we wont see anything official either until some sort of support package is put in place by government for those in the industry. They'll want everything in place before making a call like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ironicname wrote: »
    On Wednesday? It was well publicised that there was major global issues. Your reliance on the government to prevent you doing silly things is what is going to see a police state being enforced next week.

No. The difference between going to work and going to an airport, getting on a plane and then sitting in a stadium with tens of thousands of people are not equal.

Well you made the absolute wrong decision.

You havent a clue what I work at or even where I work. You've already formed your opinion .

This has been a daily evolving situation. Had it been 24hrs later I wouldn't have went . Such is life, I made a decision at the time on the facts I had available to me. I've been in self isolation since I returned and have had pretty much no contact with anyone in Ireland .

But dont let that get in the way of your rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gozunda wrote: »
    And again for all the kids who think this is an old person's issue

From Italy ...

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1238600595679870976?s=20

Look at France's stats over 50% of those in ICU are under 62, gonna take some advice from an auld boy I met during the week, kill it with whiskey it's what he did in '62.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

lfen wrote: »
    Will we get the usual update tomorrow evening or will they skip it, what with it being the sabbath?

Press update by email, but that was the plan for today too until early afternoon.

Probably have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

worded wrote: »
    COVID-19 Ireland: Facts with Dr. Paddy Mallon

https://youtu.be/1CsAeuFAPy4

Doc in pub having a drink...hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

ITman88 wrote: »
    Fcuk I’m not old but we only went to Delphi in school tours, I didn’t think I was that much of a peasant, and still haven’t gone skiing as an adult!!!

Bet you didn't bring back anything too sinister from Delphi either.

I remember that going to Delphi or the gaeltacht was a privilege (I never got to go).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Gym I train at is still open

Very little precautions apart from one sanitizer dispenser and a small pack of flash antibacterial wipes on the 2nd floor

Are they foolish to remain open? It’s not a commercial gym , maybe 10 train at once and distance apart would be adhered to

I’m not going either way as much as I’d like to

Not worth the risk

Sounds v similar to one I train at in the blanch area. I haven’t went this week either and don’t intend to. A neighbouring gym are closed since yesterday and are posting daily workouts on their social media. I understand the lad who owns this gym has to keep his income up. Tough situation. But he’s risking his clients health by staying open

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Heard the first HSE radio advert since the crisis started. It was about abortion services, but hey, progressive priories eh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So in the science fiction disaster movies there is always a sealed bunker where all the elite go to escape whatever disaster that wipes out the poor Joe and Jill Soaps. How soon will the elite start planning to head for their bunkers?

They are already there

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/disease-dodging-worried-wealthy-jet-off-to-disaster-bunkers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Poland, Saudi Arabia, India , Iraq, Egypt, Kuwait andSan Marino all passed 100 cases today. Now 45 countries worldwide with over 100 cases

Earlier today Ireland, Romania, Estonia and the Philippines all passed 100 cases also

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

00benski wrote: »
    I feel your pain. My business has literally stopped the last week. I rent and sell mens formal suits. Every black tie ball in Dublin has been cancelled and plenty of weddings over the coming weeks also.We are a national award winning shop based in Dublin but I cannot believe how bad its got. We expect to turn over zelch over the coming weeks.

I really understand your health is your wealth and all that but the extra stress this is causing to us and trying to keep staff etc is huge. Hoping it doesn't last more than 6/8 weeks and we come out of it more united than ever.

Did you check your policy to see if you have business interruption clause, it'll kick in if the government or local authorities order a shutdown. Ring whoever your with Monday. I have it in writing I'm covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Just watched Contagion for the first time. Settling down now to watch the Pandemic Netflix series. A barrel of laughs I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Why isn't the HSE running round the clock adverts on tv, online, on roadside billboards about washing hands, self isolating, social isolating?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Must be all the posh schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just watched Contagion for the first time. Settling down now to watch the Pandemic Netflix series. A barrel of laughs I am.

Finished by I am legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why isn't the HSE running round the clock adverts on tv, online, on roadside billboards about washing hands, self isolating, social isolating?

Been hearing ads all day on the radio and that is probably the best medium during the day - very rarely watch tv so wouldn't know about ads on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Why waste the money it's all over the internet/TV/papers/radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Shn99 wrote: »
    Its the first year that our school had planned it anyway.

Happened when I was at school in the mid 80's, nothing new

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement