Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The State has to force the closure of pubs if that's what you want.

There is no law being broken by having busy pubs.

They really do.

I suspect that constant thorn in their side the Vintners Association are behind it not happening yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

bekker wrote: »
    Statistics compiled by the HSE show that as of 11am this morning, most of those infected are in the 55-63 age bracket.

The second highest incidences of cases is among the population aged between 34 and 44, followed by those aged 45-54 and 15-24.

Although the number of cases among the over 65s is relatively lower at this stage, those in this category are more of risk of complications.

Would you have a link to those stats please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well let's say the whole country isolates and we get rid of this thing. What happens then. We open the border and it all starts again. What's the end game here.

Again, the end game is not to “get rid of this thing”.

The lockdown isn’t to stop the spread. It’s to slow it down to a manageable level, so we don’t all end up getting it at once.

Even a few weeks of a lock down spreads it out so that the hospitals aren’t having to make decisions of who lives and dies, just because there isn’t enough beds,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

...just a matter of time now before a 6pm curfew kicks in.

Civil unrest on the streets, with armed police & army out & about, taking temperatures & searching people, getting a grip with looting & rioting in Irish town & cities.

^I hope it won't come to this^
    It will. As will increasingly draconian measures internally, EG I would expect Italy style lockdown early next week. Even with the Brits still saying it doesn’t work.

The authorities will use their powers under the Health Act 1947. Anyone acting the maggot could well find that the long arm of the law will take the form an armed soldier.

Edit: I’m not expecting this sort of thing though:
    My friend in the DF (currently abroad) received a very standard email notification saying that they would be assisting the Gardaí - to "aid civil power" as he put it. There isn't any likelihood of any armed forces on the streets for at least the next couple of weeks and we could avoid it altogether if people managed to behave themselves during the inevitable lockdown.

People going to the pubs are highly likely to get sick, that's punishment enough for their bad decision. I don't really blame them for their choice, because they were given the option. They are probably not as tuned in to the gravity of the situation because they're not keeping abreast of it as well as they should, as many people didn't in previous health emergencies. I feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Ok guess they should be kept in you are right. Gonna be tough to keep kids in for a month. Regarding the fake news I didn't question the severity of the situation or belittle in anyway the people that have died in Italy or Spain what I was talking about is the amount of absolute misinformation bull going around. A recording of some edit pretending to be an army commander calling the troops to action etc. What edits are making tho ****e up. Making a bad situation far worse.

Yes they should be kept in. The clue is in the name - National Public Health Emergency, also Global Pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I think it boils down to the fact that the message is anyone under the age of say 40-50 will be totally fine.

That's the message, it will only affect the older cohort, and so the so called younger cohort feel they are invincible. Only thing I can think of regarding their gathering together at close quarters.

But I suppose none of them have older parents, relatives or friends either, hey ho. Have we really turned into this individualistic society. I suppose we have.
    I think the thinking is that they will keep distance from any vulnerable people.
    Which makes sense, I’ve had a great excuse the last week or so to avoid the parents!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Have a gold star.

I'd prefer toilet rolls. Send 10. I know you are hoarding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Pubs in Greystones absolutely packed by all accounts. Sad to see. Selfish action that could literally cost someone more vulnerable their life.

someone should break the news
    www cbsnews.com news/coronavirus-drinking-bleach-cocaine-false-rumors-social-media

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭banie01

https://twitter.com/mmqwalker/status/1238522055643074561?s=21

There are a few very important caveats that need to be remembered when looking at the age profile of the Italian Covid-19 deaths.

1. Italian Docs have already announced their triage guidelines, those currently on ventilation are those that were deemed fittest. A large cohort of the patients in ICU are at variance with the current demographic of the dead.

2. Those deaths are in addition to the usual daily toll.
    Families have lost loved ones, funerals are delayed, remembrance delayed and many left to grieve alone.
    Not just those bereaved by Covid-19, everyone.

3. Those ICU beds in use, they are blocking lifesaving treatment for other people afflicted by medical emergency and accident.
    The overall death rate in afflicted areas when all causes are combined, will likely be ghastly.

4. Breaking the curve will not reduce the number of infected. It will seriously help in allowing our health services to cope.

We have a huge societal and behavioural change coming our way.
    We can cope, we can be resilient.

Let's hope that this social distancing, doesn't cost us our humanity.

Those dead, those infected and those healthcare workers...
    It's far too easy to think of them as "just numbers".

They are someone's brother, sister, mother, father and so on.
    Let's not fall into the trap of thinking of the %'s of the numbers and taking a Boris type view of this.

The good of the many, may very well outweigh the good of the one, is true enough in most cases...
    But.
    When we forget the value of the one, we lose a piece of our souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    They really do.

I suspect that constant thorn in their side the Vintners Association are behind it not happening yet.

This will mean that tens of thousands of people will immediately go on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

cjmc wrote: »
    I've gone into lockdown mode. I have a persistent cough but no raging temp. The kids though had temps of 37.8 so Calpol .
    Thankfully I also took a fit of sneezing so maybe it's just a cold.l

Thats the crazy thing now. Anyone that gets the regular flu or cold or chest infection is gonna panic themselves and anyone around them. Weird crazy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I think it boils down to the fact that the message is anyone under the age of say 40-50 will be totally fine.

That's the message, it will only affect the older cohort, and so the so called younger cohort feel they are invincible. Only thing I can think of regarding their gathering together at close quarters.

But I suppose none of them have older parents, relatives or friends either, hey ho. Have we really turned into this individualistic society. I suppose we have.

I'm in that younger bracket and don't fear dying from this but I'm absolutely concerned about enduring pneumonia like conditions for 3-4 weeks, it sounds like a nightmare. There's also suggestions of possible permanent damage to your lungs.
    Those people carrying on like normal are not only selfish but complete idiots for their own health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Hard to keep up with this thread.

I think it's not fair to bring up a section of society who you might perceive as abusing the health service.

It's a pretty complexed issue and I don't think it's proper to start pointing fingers and discussing it here. Especially since said alleged people are doing the right thing and avoiding the A&E right now.
    People may be delaying to go to hospital and making themselves sicker. It's unclear at the moment.

This so much. We have a saying that people won't go to A&E on a sunny day, but the current crisis is different circumstances.

People are afraid to go to hospital, and the people who genuinely need treatment are generally those who are most reluctant to pick up the phone and call and ambulance or present to A&E in times like this because they're afraid they'll be wasting resources.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cw85 wrote: »
    Only saying what I was told, could well be bull**** as people are saying but given the people I've heard it from I believe it but that's me, everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    Scaremongering is not offering an opinion

We have had one respected poster who is a member of the Forces completely debunking your speculation. Do not speculate again if you wish to retain access to this thread

Any questions, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Kids out playing football in the fresh air at a distance from each other are less of a risk than those in full packed stale air pubs
    So lets get it in perspective

Have it completely in perspective. It’s still safer not to. Just because it’s not as bad as something else doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Vaccine.
    When developed, tested, approved, mass-produced, and distributed. Most estimates 12-18 months for development. Looks like virus disruption treatments will be faster but still have to follow the same route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

HERD IMMUNITY.

That's what we need.

Good chance you are some sort of cloven creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Buy now. Compare market value at bottom of 2008 and today even with Corona slump

US markets today are still way higher than after a 2018 mini-crash with no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

That’s not the message. The facts are that people in younger age groups are at much lower risk. No responsible person or authority is sending the message that they’re totally risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To the people addressing their posts to people in pubs.

It’s unlikely they read this thread and there’s literally no chance they’re reading it while in the pub.

Also, I’d be more inclined to blame the establishments who are disregarding the guidelines on social distances and maximum indoor crowds.
    Lots of people read boards in the pub. We've never been good at blaming individuals for poor behavior, it's always an institution, group, business or organization that gets blamed.

If course, it usually is the individual that is responsible in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Vaccine.

That's 18 months away. We cant wait for that.

...just a matter of time now before a 6pm curfew kicks in.

Civil unrest on the streets, with armed police & army out & about, taking temperatures & searching people, getting a grip with looting & rioting in Irish town & cities.

^I hope it won't come to this^

Perhaps we could set up a reserve for the army. Maybe equip them with some old khakis and old black police uniforms. Give them a snappy name like Black and Tans. That would put manners on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

threeball wrote: »
    That's some Grade A Columbian you got there.

At 4.50 see below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoUM6a4bA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Have it completely in perspective. It’s still safer not to. Just because it’s not as bad as something else doesn’t make it the right thing to do.

No it doesn’t but if kids are asked not to play outside then the adults must be asked not to gather in pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

What happens with internet access for those who need to top up instead of monthly payments if there was a lockdown. Serious question! Internet access is a huge part of people's lives plus to keep in contact with the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Only 2 cases if community transmission today.
    Cases are from people who flew in from infected areas. Close the airports. Isolate and treat those affected. Stop adding to the numbers.
    There is a reason why Europe is now the epicenter.

They prefer to wait until enough people get infected so the virus doesn't die by extinction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

voluntary wrote: »
    US markets today are still way higher than after a 2018 mini-crash with no reason.

Exactly. Buy now. Eventually this will pass. Markets will recover rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Would you have a link to those stats please?
    No, HSE information briefing on TV as seen live. Text cut and paste from II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

voluntary wrote: »

Many Hugh Multinational company share prices are getting fcuked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

One sickening thing about the Cheltenham crowd and other self absorbed types who aren't taking this seriously is that that those of them that will get sick will do so relatively early in the cycle and may go on to hog the limited hospital beds, ventilators and ICU places from those who bothered their hole educating themselves about the virus and will succumb to the virus later as a result of being more careful and conscientious.

Those arseholes should be tattooed on the forehead with a big fooking X so we know what to do with them. W*nkers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement