Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html

Very interesting article.

Particularly the cruise ship where only 20% of the people on board were affected. I've been on cruises, you're talking about 3,000-5,000 people in a very small area all sharing the same 2-3 lifts. The same air system and same restaurants. I hadn't rally questioned it until now but it's very strange that more people didn't get the virus.

This is very encouraging, it would still mean huge numbers getting infected but would sure be better than even the best case predicted scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

The flights will probably stop soon

Everything will be stopped this time next week. Mark my words

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Coppers makes about €75k a week in profit, to their credit they have closed it down for the next 2 weeks.

Considering it's the hangout for nurses and Gardai I don't think they'd be racking up so much if they were to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Honestly can't see how people can blame the goverment here no big fan of them but they have acted swiftly enough it seems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Anyone else finding this somewhat surreal and quite hard to believe is happening.
    I've had to sort of do a few double takes a few times as I keep thinking it's some kind of bad dream I had when I wake up, then I realise no .. it's real.

Not quite sure what to do to keep my head in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Everything will be stopped this time next week. Mark my words

So Septic Peg - whats your predictions for the Euromillions numbers?

Jesus, that's nearly as bad as Cheltenham

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Honestly can't see how people can blame the goverment here no big fan of them but they have acted swiftly enough it seems

MLMD and that rabble would do a better job apparently.

We have had a rise of stupid in the country in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Xertz wrote: »
    Anyone else finding this somewhat surreal and quite hard to believe is happening.
    I've had to sort of do a few double takes a few times as I keep thinking it's some kind of bad dream I had when I wake up, then I realise no .. it's real.

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Letting flights in from Italy last weekend was a terrible decision, plenty of EU states have selectively closed their borders to certain countries, we could have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

dockysher wrote: »
    No

Good for you! I'm actually kinda finding it rather hard to process.
    Didn't think this was After Hours, but anyway.

I'll just go drink something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Almost all of the pubs in Tuam, Galway have closed from tonight for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

The government should have acted sooner.

I do agree if we stoped flights and ferrys we'd probably have less cases but I don't think we would have ever avoided it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

jamesf85 wrote: »

Particularly the cruise ship where only 20% of the people on board were affected. I've been on cruises, you're talking about 3,000-5,000 people in a very small area all sharing the same 2-3 lifts. The same air system and same restaurants. I hadn't rally questioned it until now but it's very strange that more people didn't get the virus.

This is very encouraging, it would still mean huge numbers getting infected but would sure be better than even the best case predicted scenario.

How about variables such as Africa ? Mutations ? Reinfections? Waves of infections ?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 24,201 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Jesus, that's nearly as bad as Cheltenham

Worse really, if you consider the dispertion of people from a major international hub like O'Hare. At least Cheltenham is fairly homogeneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Almost all of the pubs in Tuam, Galway have closed from tonight for the foreseeable future

Source? Lot of pubs in galway and only heard of a handful of closing so far

I know. It's mental. Once in a lifetime "event" if you can call it that. What i'm more worried about is the blase attitude people still have here. They don't realise how bad this is gong to get, especially in Dublin

M

Seems to be not a single case of any flight crew getting it? The air in planes must be filtered really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

jamesf85 wrote: »

There could be many reasons for small contamination though. If a person was sick they might have stayed in their cabin and not had contact with many people. They might have contracted the virus on a stop near the end of the trip.

It may be calming that it might not be as bad as predicted but a doctor, who has admitted that he has no expert in the area and probably has no first hand evidence of the cruise ship he is basing his assumption on should not be relied upon. It is also dangerous for him to publish this as people may drop their guard or disregard instructions based on his assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s like a bad dream, scary as fûck but this is real. An unprecedented situation in the country, globally, in history... there really isn’t a blueprint for this...

As far as keeping the head, for me anyway... looking after my folks, Netflix, the Ps4, TV, boards.ie... 🍝 pasta...

I do agree if we stoped flights and ferrys we'd probably have less cases but I don't think we would have ever avoided it.

Agreed, but fcuk me the country is in for a shock and i hate to sound like a doom merchant but these are now inevitable facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Letting flights in from Italy last weekend was a terrible decision, plenty of EU states have selectively closed their borders to certain countries, we could have done it.

Every country is gonna make bad decisions one way or another in how they deal with it.

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s like a bad dream, scary as fûck but this is real. An unprecedented situation in the country, globally, in history... there really isn’t a blueprint for this...

As far as keeping the head, for me anyway... looking after my folks, Netflix, the Ps4, TV, boards.ie... 🍝 pasta...

Wise words!!! Hopefully my test for the virus on Monday comes back negative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Seems to be not a single case of any flight crew getting it? The air in planes must be filtered really good.

Nothing came of those flight crew that had to go in to self isolation a week or so ago?

M

Every country is gonna make bad decisions one way or another in how they deal with it.

But it was so predictable in that with the Ireland Rugby game scheduled and then cancelled most would travel here from the 2nd worst infected place on the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Its 2.51 am and I can't sleep. My wife is a nurse who will be put to front line duty fighting this from Monday. She's a type one diabetic - high risk and scared. My 13 year old son is asleep in the next room. He's asking me will we be okay. Will mum get sick. Will I lose my job. I'm physically sick and genuinely scared.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Its 2.51 am and I can't sleep. My wife is a nurse who will be put to front line duty fighting this from Monday. She's a type one diabetic - high risk and scared. My 13 year old son is asleep in the next room. He's asking me will we be okay. Will mum get sick. Will I lose my job. I'm physically sick and genuinely scared.

Jesus. Tell her not to work. Seriously. You have a child. This fcuker of a virus could harm her condition. PLEASE.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement