Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So what death toll is being predicted now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Its 2.51 am and I can't sleep. My wife is a nurse who will be put to front line duty fighting this from Monday. She's a type one diabetic - high risk and scared. My 13 year old son is asleep in the next room. He's asking me will we be okay. Will mum get sick. Will I lose my job. I'm physically sick and genuinely scared.

And so you should be I am too.

I can't sleep either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't be looking at Italy's figures or you'll go into meltdown - over 6% and not over yet
    See how it progresses in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sausage_blaa

Agreed, but fcuk me the country is in for a shock and i hate to sound like a doom merchant but these are now inevitable facts

I think our government are taking the right steps (for once in my lifetime anyway) the only thing they did wrong was let the pubs stay open! Otherwise a good job is being done..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Every country is gonna make bad decisions one way or another in how they deal with it.

That’s a pretty poor attitude when it comes to holding our elected representatives to account... ahh well, they’ll fûck it up ahhh sure it’s not happened before give them a break.. NO.. they fancy their backsides sitting in Dáil Éireann? Ok ! You better be prepared to be producing and acting efficiently in the best interests of this country when things are going good and when shît hits the fan like now...

If someone declared war would it be ok to say.... “ahh sure, never had to deal with this before”.... we are in a war, a health war on what scale we are unsure as of yet but we need to win, by the right actions and decisions from politicians and government AND in our behavior as citizens, regardless of age, health, financial status, occupation... this is on all of us.

• Advertisement

Who cares this thing is here we need to try and keep it as low as we can whatever that number is.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

20% jump in new cases in Italy , now 21k

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s like a bad dream, scary as fûck but this is real. An unprecedented situation in the country, globally, in history... there really isn’t a blueprint for this...

As far as keeping the head, for me anyway... looking after my folks, Netflix, the Ps4, TV, boards.ie... ðŸ pasta...

Agree with Strums it’s terrible, the last recession was brutal especially when Ireland had to be bailed out but this is even worse, well I feel it is anyway because stupid money doesn’t even help not that I have loads anyway. All you can do like anyone is follow all the health precautions, and if you’re at home go online, learn stuff new hobbies, watch movies, read books, do word searches, jigsaws, garden, paint, play board games and eat well and get sleep. Big virtual friendship hug to you. Stay strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I expect taxes will go through the roof after this crisis in order to fund the relief

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s a pretty poor attitude when it comes to holding our elected representatives to account... ahh well, they’ll fûck it up ahhh sure it’s not happened before give them a break.. NO.. they fancy their backsides sitting in Dáil Éireann? Ok ! You better be prepared to be producing and acting efficiently in the best interests of this country when things are going good and when shît hits the fan like now...

If someone declared war would it be ok to say.... “ahh sure, never had to deal with this before”.... we are in a war, a health war on what scale we are unsure as of yet but we need to win, by the right actions and decisions from politicians and government AND in our behavior as citizens, regardless of age, health, financial status, occupation... this is on all of us.

That's very disingenuous - every country in the world has been taken by surprise
    Making this a political thing is not on

• Advertisement

I think our government are taking the right steps (for once in my lifetime anyway) the only thing they did wrong was let the pubs stay open! Otherwise a good job is being done..

And the flights that poured in from Italy and now Spain.

Are you a Government shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Pubs closing isn't scary.
    The reports some of us are hearing from ICUs in Italy and now even the Mater are scary.

The imminent lockdown / restriction measures should be welcomed by any sane person.
    This will be great news if we want to save lives as best we can.
    I'm not saying it won't be easy, but it has to do done.

I'm afraid though that we'll see a rise in house parties probably, the youth treating like an extended Good Friday when the pubs used to shut.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

fritzelly wrote: »
    Don't be looking at Italy's figures or you'll go into meltdown - over 6% and not over yet
    See how it progresses in Spain
    I think the true figures are coming out now and we can safely assume the Chinese were lying about their own figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Pubs, niteclubs and restaurants restrictions should have being implemented with school closures. Everyone knows Ireland is a different case and pubs especially will be packd over next few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Listen, everyone needs to not give a fcuk about recessions and just make sure we can get through this pandemic. The economy will look after its self afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is this the reason why there has not been any new announcement from Leo and the boys? They know it`s already too late and we are going to be obliterated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

mick987 wrote: »
    I think the true figures are coming out now and we can safely assume the Chinese were lying about their own figures.

I'm extremely dubious about China's honesty in this. There's no track record of anything other than wanting to control narratives and manipulate to ensure political stability.

If it were most other countries, i'd be fine, but China just does not have a great history on this kind of transparency.

Even with the US, Trump may be all spin, but the federal and state agencies and others are pretty up front and transparent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Loads of reports on Twitter of pubs being closed by Gardaí. Anyone shed any light?

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's very disingenuous - every country in the world has been taken by surprise
    Making this a political thing is not on

Taken by surprise, certainly. But you can be taken by surprise but have the savvy, intelligence, aptitude and leadership to act and react. It’s nothing to do with politics, I have no allegiance for any political party but I’d go a lifetime easily without wanting to vote for this shower.

• Advertisement

Loads of reports on Twitter of pubs being closed by Gardaí. Anyone shed any light?

Roger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

dockysher wrote: »
    Pubs, niteclubs and restaurants restrictions should have being implemented with school closures. Everyone knows Ireland is a different case and pubs especially will be packd over next few days.

As they are in Asia this doesn't fall on the goverment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

I expect taxes will go through the roof after this crisis in order to fund the relief

What’s the point in bringing that up now. Some people are so worried they can only get through day to day, banks are going to give people a three month reprieve on their mortgages, sick pay arrangements have been put in place so people don’t have to wait the six days. I’ll be delighted to be back working paying tax and being able to please God when all this is over. We’ll cope with the money stuff if our population is well. I don’t mean to have a rant but it’s very hard to project months down the road from now, People just need to mind their mental health, having the experience of the last recession some of us are very sober but for the young people in their teens twenties this is very hard for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Roger

You witness any of it happening? Details seem sketchy, hard to know if its true or not.

Closed at 3am or as in before closing time ? If pubs were open after closing and though with everything thinking they’d chance their arm with a late session to take advantage of things and get more euros in the till their licenses should be ripped up in front of em....

You witness any of it happening? Details seem sketchy, hard to know if its true or not.

Got some messages an hour ago! But that was just around town!!! I heard the army are shining their boots as we speak too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

joeguevara wrote: »
    There could be many reasons for small contamination though. If a person was sick they might have stayed in their cabin and not had contact with many people. They might have contracted the virus on a stop near the end of the trip.

It may be calming that it might not be as bad as predicted but a doctor, who has admitted that he has no expert in the area and probably has no first hand evidence of the cruise ship he is basing his assumption on should not be relied upon. It is also dangerous for him to publish this as people may drop their guard or disregard instructions based on his assertion.

Generally 5 days before you realise you have the virus. Even if the initial person left the following day after being infected then next person would have passed it on. It should have infected well over half of those on board...I can't imagine a worse environment to be in with those circumstances and still only 20%.

This is a disaster no matter what way you look at it, and there should be a complete lockdown...but something like this could be a Godsend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The spread sheet I do is there another with specific country anyone wants me to do up? pm me the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

dockysher wrote: »
    Source? Lot of pubs in galway and only heard of a handful of closing so far

Type in the tuam pubs on Facebook most have announced they're closing. Brogue, Bridge, Gettingans, Rustic Vaults

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement