Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

voluntary wrote: »
    New cases in China increasing second day in a row. Double from yesterday. Reported 8 on Friday, 11 on Saturday and 20 already today.

Yeah “imported” cases, so people entering the country from abroad. Mad to think after all the hard work they’ve put in they’re under threat again from travel.

Today’s world is just a constant passage of movement. How do you combat that unless you close airports?

Vietnam is the same. Contained it and everyone was cured. Now, infections are coming from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Is anybody else slightly hoping for a lock down scenario? I mean closure of pubs and retail mainly.

I know we can’t just eliminate the virus through lock down, but we can slow the spread. Let’s be real Ireland doesn’t have a great amount of ICU beds ( a lot less than Italy per population) and I’m not sure about numbers of ventilators. Staff in the hospital seems to be run off their feet as it is.

If we just slow the numbers at least people will get a good chance at being treated and sent home making more space for the next lot to come in and be treated. I really really fear an Italy type scenario where too many people need icu at once and healthcare workers are forced to decide who to give it to.

I’m not fearful for my own health I’m late 20s and healthy but I fear greatly for older people. Im really hoping for a lock down scenario where only essential places like supermarkets and pharmacies stay open. The spread of the virus just needs to slow down so our Hospitals can cope better.
    Lock down would only be us being asked to stay home and sit on the couch, it’s not that hard !

The government will wait to see how community transmission is happening and then decide. If retail staff are getting the virus through work they will make a decision on retail.
    Best they can do now is track and analyse modes of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hoboken, New York has announced night time curfew beginning tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Maybe is time to ask for a refund of Usc....
    On this country who works is fxck

After this is over we ll be paying double if not triple usc. And rightly so. Its gonna take everyone to take a financial hit for a few years for us to get back on our feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Vietnam is the same. Contained it and everyone was cured. Now, infections are coming from Europe.

You believe that sh!te?

Myanmar has just announced this...
    Myanmar’s government has rejected suggestions that the country has undetected cases of the virus, reiterating that it is free of any infections and that “the lifestyle and diet of Myanmar citizens” has helped protect the country.

They go on to talk about how their citizens use mostly paper money instead of credit cards...

The world knows who the bull****ter countries are and they should pay a price for lying to the world.

I'd put Turkey at the top of the list for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

In work yesterday one person with a cough,was getting funny looks but said he didnt have shortness of breath and a fever,was sent home anyway,made me wonder does everyone get all 3 of them or can it be different on each individual,you would imagine a fever would be there on nearly everyone that has it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

This whole thing just highlights what utter idiots humans are.
    People who think "ah sure I'll be grand", or "me cancel or change my plans? How dare somebody suggest that. I have paid my money for this and don't care if I transmit an infectious disease".
    Anyone who travelled anywhere in the last few weeks should hang their heads in shame. You are all complicit in its spread.
    Just because you could travel, doesn't mean you should have or couldn't have considered whether it was in anybodys best interest to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Just a question I have.
    I'm meant to be heading back to work on Wednesday ( Construction, working for an SME) and to be honest I'm not keen on the risks involved, especially working on some of the larger sites.
    Do ye think a shutdown is on the cards by then?
    Hard for anyone to know but thanks anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This whole thing just highlights what utter idiots humans are.
    People who think "ah sure I'll be grand", or "me cancel or change my plans? How dare somebody suggest that. I have paid my money for this and don't care if I transmit an infectious disease".
    Anyone who travelled anywhere in the last few weeks should hang their heads in shame. You are all complicit in its spread.
    Just because you could travel, doesn't mean you should have or couldn't have considered whether it was in anybodys best interest to do so.

And people with "colds" carrying on as normal. Stay the fcuk home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

manutd83 wrote: »
    In work yesterday one person with a cough,was getting funny looks but said he didnt have shortness of breath and a fever,was sent home anyway,made me wonder does everyone get all 3 of them or can it be different on each individual,you would imagine a fever would be there on nearly everyone that has it

3 percent of tests are positive. A good precaution to send him home. But don't worry unnecessarily.

I had a bit of a temperature and headache last weekend ( most likely sinus related) and worked from home all last week due to it. Safety first is the key message

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

3 percent of tests are positive. A good precaution to send him home. But don't worry unnecessarily.

I had a bit of a temperature and headache last weekend ( most likely sinus related) and worked from home all last week due to it. Safety first is the key message

Wasnt really worried as he was out the door pretty sharpish,just made me think about the point of do you have to have all 3 symptoms to have it as was his arguement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Sir Patrick Vallance has come in for a lot of stick for his "Herd Immunity" theory, but maybe he's right? Specially in light of reading what he says below in bold.

Millions of people will need to contract coronavirus in order to control the impact of the disease which is likely to return "year on year", the government's chief scientific adviser has told Sky News.

Around 60% of the UK population will need to become infected with coronavirus in order for society to have "herd immunity" from future outbreaks, Sir Patrick Vallance said.

Returning "Year on Year"

Wow, maybe herd Immunity would be better than trying to avoid this blessed curse of a thing.

You believe that sh!te?

Myanmar has just announced this...

They go on to talk about how their citizens use mostly paper money instead of credit cards...

The world knows who the bull****ter countries are and they should pay a price for lying to the world.

I'd put Turkey at the top of the list for example.

Are you just randomly equating Vietnam and Myanmar because you can't tell the difference between what they look like?

Yes, I believe it. Everyone here does after the extreme reaction when it came back here. Your cynicism has zero credibility when it's automatic based on preconceived biases.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ribs1234

Sir Patrick Vallance has come in for a lot of stick for his "Herd Immunity" theory, but maybe he's right? Specially in light of reading what he says below in bold.

Millions of people will need to contract coronavirus in order to control the impact of the disease which is likely to return "year on year", the government's chief scientific adviser has told Sky News.

Around 60% of the UK population will need to become infected with coronavirus in order for society to have "herd immunity" from future outbreaks, Sir Patrick Vallance said.

Returning "Year on Year".

Wow, maybe herd Immunity would be better than trying to avoid this blessed curse of a thing.

Does herd immunity protect us from the common cold year on year? Why do we get the flu vaccination?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Just a question I have.
    I'm meant to be heading back to work on Wednesday ( Construction, working for an SME) and to be honest I'm not keen on the risks involved, especially working on some of the larger sites.
    Do ye think a shutdown is on the cards by then?
    Hard for anyone to know but thanks anyway.

I think any lock down might be in phases.

I would expect pubs to be closed next week, followed possibly by restaurants, followed possibly by (non essential) shops (non food/pharmacy ones).

Advice may be along the lines only to leave home to go to work, to go to shops (for food/pharmacy) or for medical reasons (to go to doctor/hospital).

I reckon they will see how this goes before going full/absolute lock down.

Ribs1234 wrote: »
    Does herd immunity protect us from the common cold year on year? Why do we get the flu vaccination?

This is Covid-19, not the flu or a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

manutd83 wrote: »

There's a decent breakdown of symptoms on the Worldometers site on the Symptoms page, about half way down under the heading: Full list of symptoms from the Wang study.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ribs1234

Yes but the principle is the same. Viruses mutate and this one will too. You can make up your own mind as no one 100% knows but these are important points to consider. Just asking you to revisit your thought process and see if your conclusion changes with this extra information.

Ribs1234 wrote: »
    Yes but the principle is the same. Viruses mutate and this one will too. You can make up your own mind as no one 100% knows but these are important points to consider. Just asking you to revisit your thought process and see if your conclusion changes with this extra information.

I'm no expert, but I suspect Mr Vallance is.

To be a chief medical advisor to s PM of a country of some sixty five million people is not to be sniffed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

voluntary wrote: »
    New cases in China increasing second day in a row. Double from yesterday. Reported 8 on Friday, 11 on Saturday and 20 already today.

25 cases in China now, remission would be a real b.tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It's a version of one. Just a strong one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think any lock down might be in phases.

I would expect pubs to be closed next week, followed possibly by restaurants, followed possibly by (non essential) shops (non food/pharmacy ones).

Advice may be along the lines only to leave home to go to work, to go to shops (for food/pharmacy) or for medical reasons (to go to doctor/hospital).

I reckon they will see how this goes before going full/absolute lock down.

That would be the sensible approach and help to mitigate any widespread panic that a wholesale lockdown would cause.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Morning, another lovely day, great to be......oh wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Would love to go for a walk now while most people are still in bed but am I right in believing that's a no no with isolation policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

Happy4all wrote: »
    Would love to go for a walk now while most people are still in bed but am I right in believing that's a no no with isolation policy?

I think going for walks is ok and if you meet anyone you need to keep social distances between you. Fresh air is good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Happy4all wrote: »

There is no isolation policy! Social distancing. Walking is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Graces7 wrote: »
    Good morning out there.

Out here the wind is howling and hard rain on the windows. Turbulent ocean and ruffled air

Wondering if folk are realising the hay fever season is here? I am sneezing and coughing but no way it could be anything but hay fever.

Caught up with a few pages. here; but when I was looking at the news earlier it came across how many folk are actively seeking to help and support. , Doolin with the free meals ( I WISH! ) ,, various folk being available for isolated folk to contact.

Even between a rock and a hard place there is kindness and support.
    So much energy here; diverting it is good.

And is all most of us can do. And stay safe and away from folk.

Maybe back later but unwell and tired. Wishing all here well and safe

PS heard from friends working in India. They are not counting cases there as it is so widespread and the police and others finding bodies just throw them in the river. Be thankful to be here. As I am. We have so much

Good morning G7, a voice of reason as per usual. Great call on the hayfever. Mine has kicked off this past week as well. I was starting to get paranoid about the sneeze and coughing until the eyes started acting up as well. Then I realized that it was that time of year again.

Keep safe.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

If retail workers start to fall ill, which to be fair will happen. Then what do we/The Government do?
    Close up the shops?
    How would that work from a practical point of view in terms of people getting supplies?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement