Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Herd Immunity by journalist Robert Peston.

The UK government recently enacted its second phase of response to the COVID-19 pandemic: “delay”. According to ITV journalist Robert Peston, the government’s strategy to minimise the impact of COVID-19 “is to allow the virus to pass through the entire population so that we acquire herd immunity, but at a much delayed speed so that those who suffer the most acute symptoms are able to receive the medical support they need, and such that the health service is not overwhelmed and crushed by the sheer number of cases it has to treat at any one time”. At face value, this seems like a sound strategy, but what exactly is herd immunity and can it be used to combat COVID-19?

Our bodies fight infectious diseases through the actions of our immune systems. When we recover, we often retain an immunological memory of the disease that enables us to fight off that same disease in the future. This is how vaccines work, creating this immune memory without requiring getting sick with the disease.

LINK;
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-can-herd-immunity-really-protect-us

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

seamusk84 wrote: »
    If retail workers start to fall ill, which to be fair will happen. Then what do we/The Government do?
    Close up the shops?
    How would that work from a practical point of view in terms of people getting supplies?

In a critical situation the army would be engaged in rationing the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

voluntary wrote: »
    In a critical situation the army would be engaged in rationing the food.

What if the army lads get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭celt262

Happy4all wrote: »
    Would love to go for a walk now while most people are still in bed but am I right in believing that's a no no with isolation policy?

Go for your walk there wont be many around at this hour anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It's a version of one. Just a strong one

Don't feed the troll

• Advertisement

If everyone gets ill and everyone dies then there's no one left in need of food and problem no longer exists.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

voluntary wrote: »
    If everyone gets ill and everyone dies then there's no one left in need of food and problem no longer exists.

That's the sort of positive thinking we need! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

By that time the retail workers may have recovered and gone back to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

silly question time. for the people that are tested positive for corona now. And then they go to self isolation.

After 2 weeks of self isolation , do they normally just get better or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

kyote00 wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct ...

https://nextstrain.org/ncov?f_country=Italy

According to the above site, the first north italy cases came via Holland ....

Yes, via Bavaria and Netherlands

• Advertisement

silly question time. for the people that are tested positive for corona now. And then they go to self isolation.

Yes, you're better + you're now part of "the herd" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Hoboken, New York has announced night time curfew beginning tomorrow.

New Jersey ;)

Morning all.

For anyone in England or Scotland, the BBC have a page up where you can find out how many people have it in your borough.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-51768274
    There are 13 cases in Southwark, out of a local population of 317,256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

One thing this saga does highlight is how posters that adopt a pro British stance, in the usual back and forth political arguments that go on here, would literally defend any decision by the British government whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Morning all.

For anyone in England or Scotland, the BBC have a page up where you can find out how many people have it in your borough.

Wish they would give us the same info here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's a version of one. Just a strong one

It's not a version of the flu.

In the past you'd get tested after the symptoms passed. 2 or 3 negative tests in a row mean you're OK to go. Not sure if this is still happening though or if there's a capacity to perform so many tests on each individual.

I think the 2 weeks quarantine period is rather for people who have some symptoms but haven't been tested yet. If you get a positive result than you'll surely receive more detailed instructions on what to do next.

The vast majority will be ok but then you'd require a test to confirm you're ok I guess. Something like 11% I believe will end up requiring hospitalisation, but this skews very heavily towards older people and people with underlying conditions.

I'm not fully sure on that percentage. It's argued over repeatedly in this thread. I think that's the last one I read for it, and someone will be along swiftly to correct me and make me out to be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Was thinking the same and wondering if cases in the Midlands are included in figures for the East?

If you have it, you’re probably looking at 4 weeks at least till you’re clear of the virus. I’m basing that off having a mild case that doesn’t require hospitalisation. You have to pass two clear tests first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Theoretically most of the regular folk involved in supply will have recovered by then. The same goes for healthcare workers who will fall ill and then should be bolstered by the retired, students who have been fast-tracked, people redeployed from other areas etc. When this wave become sick, the original staff should have recovered.

Should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

If retail workers start to fall ill, which to be fair will happen. Then what do we/The Government do?
    Close up the shops?
    How would that work from a practical point of view in terms of people getting supplies?

First hand knowledge but a lot of retailers have made plans to be able to operate of 25% of their work force, Aldi/Lidl slightly different as they have less people in general. Some store managers are also segregating work shifts to avoid any potential cross contamination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Morning all.

8 where I live and 13 cases in the borough where I work. It will be interesting to see if the UK change their approach this week.

This 'Herd immunity' theory must be every anti vaxers dream, no vaccination needed, just contract the virus, be I'll for a couple of weeks & voilà ...

Then, next time Covid-19 visits your body, your antibodies will recognise it & be able to combat it's worst effects.

Currently our bodies have never encountered this strain before now, hence all this herd Immunity talk.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you have it, you’re probably looking at 4 weeks at least till you’re clear of the virus. I’m basing that off having a mild case that doesn’t require hospitalisation. You have to pass two clear tests first.

I heard yesterday around 4 to 6 weeks for young/fit people and it can be up to 3 months (or longer) for elderly people or people with underlying illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-2-03-15-20-intl-hnk/index.html

Japan announced 64 new coronavirus cases, bringing the nationwide tally to 1,477, according to Japan’s Health Ministry.

It's the largest single-day increase the country has seen.

It does say wales and Northern Ireland are not currently giving localised figures. I’m assuming it’s due to lower populations so might freak people out if numbers increased. Same as here.

Didn’t Dr Tony say that they will be moving to county based numbers soon? No date, just soon.

This 'Herd immunity' theory must be every anti vaxers dream, no vaccination needed, just contract the virus and be I'll for a couple of weeks & voilà ...

Next time Covid-19 visits your body, your antibodies will recognise it & be able to combat it's worst effects.

Currently our bodies have never encountered this strain before now, hence all this herd Immunity talk.

What if we start spreading fake news that coronavirus can give you autism. They wouldn't know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Close up the shops?

Good question (I assume we are talking essential shops such as grocery shops and pharmacies).

IMO this should be handled proactively - I.e. supply them with protective gear (respirator, gloves, etc) with clear guidelines on how to use it, and push for contactless or at least card payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

But aren't the snakes even worse?

Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

But then we're stuck with gorillas!

No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement