Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

If you have it, you’re probably looking at 4 weeks at least till you’re clear of the virus. I’m basing that off having a mild case that doesn’t require hospitalisation. You have to pass two clear tests first.

A couple on that cruise ship posted something, they are about 7 weeks in isolation and keep testng positive. They seemed healthy enough mind you.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    8 where I live and 13 cases in the borough where I work. It will be interesting to see if the UK change their approach this week.

What’s the populations of those areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Happy4all wrote: »
    A couple on that cruise ship posted something, they are about 7 weeks in isolation and keep testng positive. They seemed healthy enough mind you.

Saw a YouTube video yesterday. They are back in the UK & doing interviews next week. Presumably they could still infect people? I was a little baffled.

Happy4all wrote: »

The Abel’s are back home in the UK now. All clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

What’s the populations of those areas?

300,000 odd where I live and 255,000 where I work (in a school with over 50% of staff out sick last Friday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Bob24 wrote: »
    Good question (I assume we are talking essential shops such as grocery shops and pharmacies).

IMO this should be handled proactively - I.e. supply them with protective gear (respirator, gloves, etc) with clear guidelines on how to use it, and push for contactless or at least card payments.

Yup, I mean Tesco/Lidl etc.

Some good answers there, thanks all. Feeling a bit less anxious now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,639 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

kevin12345 wrote: »
    8 where I live and 13 cases in the borough where I work. It will be interesting to see if the UK change their approach this week.

Population of 128,423 in my borough, no cases yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

splinter65 wrote: »
    Do you expect the crisis here to be over in 2 weeks time when the schools reopen?
    The schools are not likely to reopen in 2 weeks time. That has been made clear by the Department of Health - it will be reviewed with a view to being extended.

The colleges and universities are evaluating the situation for themselves, but I would imagine that they will be consistent in their approach. I'm doing a postgraduate course at DCU and the college authorities have left the students in no doubt that the campus shutdown is for the rest of the academic year.

Here is the information provided by the DCU Registrar on Thursday last - end of term exams are only being scheduled for Final year Undergraduate students, and Postgraduate Taught students.
    All students should rely on Loop for information regarding specific modules.

All teaching activities for undergraduates and taught postgraduate programmes will move online from Monday 16th March until further notice.

During closure the library will operate electronically, and we ask that you borrow any books that you may require by 6pm tomorrow. Extended loan periods will be provided by DCU Library Services – further details are available on the DCU Libraries webpage.

Continuous assessments are being redesigned if necessary, so that they can be set and completed remotely.

Final year Undergraduate students, and Postgraduate Taught students: Priority is being given to arrangements for these examinations and assessments, and you will be updated as soon as these have been finalised.

3rd year students on campus, but not in their final year - planned examinations will be replaced with alternative assessments. Information on the timing of these and other specific details will be circulated locally via Loop.

All first and second year undergraduate examinations planned for May will be replaced with alternative assessments. Information on the timing of these and other specific details will be circulated locally via Loop

DCU Connected Students - All examinations planned for May will be replaced with alternative assessments. Information on the timing of these and other specific details will be circulated by your tutor via Loop.

Research Students

Where possible, continue to progress your research and engage with your supervisors via electronic means, off campus.

Any alternative arrangements which require access to campus will be considered and approved at School level by the Head of School, in consultation with your supervisor.

Inevitably, circumstances of this kind will give rise to many specific queries. Please bear with us while DCU finalises details which will be available via the DCU website and on Loop for module level information as soon as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Another silly question in the grand scheme of things - I wanted to head away for a few days from this morning to Kerry/somewhere on the coast and stay in a hotel to escape Dublin and relax with all the crap on tv.

Girlfriend saying no as you don’t know who’s stayed there in the room before you or worse, who is in the hotel...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It's a bit early for hay fever, unless you're allergic to daffodils. Windy cloudy cold wet weather isn't going to have a high pollen count, even in Summer.

At this time of year trees, grasses and weeds are responsible for a surge of pollen. Especially trees like willow. Also birch, ash. The pollen from willow is one of the earliest foods available for bees in the year, which is why we should have lots of it. Sneezing, runny nose, coughing etc are reactions some have to this March pollen. If you look around closely there is a LOT more happening in nature than just daffodils.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Talisman wrote: »
    The schools are not likely to reopen in 2 weeks time. That has been made clear by the Department of Health - it will be reviewed with a view to being extended.

I would not expect schools to reopen until September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I wonder when we will have our first case of it hitting an old folks home. Nothing ever 100% when humans are involved with the best will in the world. Could easily wipe out the vast majority of the occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

This 'Herd immunity' theory must be every anti vaxers dream, no vaccination needed, just contract the virus, be I'll for a couple of weeks & voilà ...

Then, next time Covid-19 visits your body, your antibodies will recognise it & be able to combat it's worst effects.

Currently our bodies have never encountered this strain before now, hence all this herd Immunity talk.

The opposite - normally you get "herd immunity" by vaccinating up front (like measles) once a large enough % are immune, then any flareups will be very local and can be contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

That makes loads of sense, only count the ones who are relatively serious. i.e in hospital. Number massaging. We've seen China, Iran, Italy, US, UK and every other country do similar.

Whatever you do don't induce panic by actually counting how widespread it is in the community. Oh and keep the pubs open.

UK was inspired by the Iranian approach. #LickAShrine #TakeItOnTheChin

Friends mum works at the hospital here ,contact tracing people have been diverted to helping out in other areas but according to you the professional in the know on the ground here it’s all about number massaging and not about moving to the next stage of tackling this thing but you are on the ground here so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Field east

What if we start spreading fake news that coronavirus can give you autism. They wouldn't know what to do.

DOCARCH, maybe an innocent boardie BUT this is the kind of comment that is totally unacceptable IMO . It is pure scaremongering and on such a profound and life threatening issue. Do you think that it deserves a comment at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Banks should up the contactless payment limit.
    €30 doesn't get you far.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

There seems to be no real discussion on how this all started. A rotten food market. With dead dogs. Live dogs. Cats, rats bats ,snakes and various other things. What a horrible culture that is. Sooner the Chinese and there dirty practices get called out the better. And that extends past food market's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I heard yesterday around 4 to 6 weeks for young/fit people and it can be up to 3 months (or longer) for elderly people or people with underlying illnesses.
    In China, the median recovery time was 32 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

You would imagine if a total lockdown were to happen for 3 to 4 weeks that the virus would actually die out. So to me total shutdown for 4 weeks rather than semi shutdown for 6 months is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

There seems to be no real discussion on how this all started. A rotten food market. With dead dogs. Live dogs. Cats, rats bats ,snakes and various other things. What a horrible culture that is. Sooner the Chinese and there dirty practices get called out the better. And that extends past food market's.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/world/asia/coronavirus-china-conspiracy-theory.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Field east wrote: »
    DOCARCH, maybe an innocent boardie BUT this is the kind of comment that is totally unacceptable IMO . It is pure scaremongering and on such a profound and life threatening issue. Do you think that it deserves a comment at least.

If you watched the press conference in Armagh yesterday by Michelle O'Neill, Arlene Foster and Leo, in relation to school closures in NI, Arlene said (quite clearly) if we close schools now, they will be closed for 14 weeks. Leo did not even raise an eyebrow!

Arlene just saying it straight/as it is!

The reality is we are in for the long haul. This is not going to be tackled in 2 weeks. Maybe under some sort of control in 2 months?

Start your investigation here at the source...

ESxykTSXgAE3o6y?format=jpg&name=small

Is that not another example of there dirty practices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Talisman wrote: »

The colleges and universities are evaluating the situation for themselves, but I would imagine that they will be consistent in their approach. I'm doing a postgraduate course at DCU and the college authorities have left the students in no doubt that the campus shutdown is for the rest of the academic year.

Here is the information provided by the DCU Registrar on Thursday last - end of term exams are only being scheduled for Final year Undergraduate students, and Postgraduate Taught students.
    How do you think they will manage the exams in May? If this thing has not been resolved. Spread the students across the campus in smaller groups of 20 or so? Can't see them holding large numbers in the Helix or sports hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Being reported on the radio here in the UK that 4 months self isolation will be implemented for the over 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

One thing this saga does highlight is how posters that adopt a pro British stance, in the usual back and forth political arguments that go on here, would literally defend any decision by the British government whatsoever.

Not true. I didn’t vote for Brexit but it suits your narrative. Irish abroad can’t vote in their own elections so I’d say they are more engaged in party politics where they are than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

You would imagine if a total lockdown were to happen for 3 to 4 weeks that the virus would actually die out. So to me total shutdown for 4 weeks rather than semi shutdown for 6 months is the way to go.

I’d think so economically a short shut down would be better, but I’m no expert on either health or economics.

Ya right. Dirty practices. From importing ivory to cutting the fins off sharks. And various other rotten things. I hope but don't believe that when all this is over they will be held accountable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The markets only sprang up after the 70s after famine in China.

So they cant claim its cultural. Im sure when ever this all settles down China are going to have make some promises to the rest of the world. Mind there are many many other countries with wet markets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement