Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Being reported on the radio here in the UK that 4 months self isolation will be implemented for the over 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

One thing this saga does highlight is how posters that adopt a pro British stance, in the usual back and forth political arguments that go on here, would literally defend any decision by the British government whatsoever.

Not true. I didn’t vote for Brexit but it suits your narrative. Irish abroad can’t vote in their own elections so I’d say they are more engaged in party politics where they are than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

You would imagine if a total lockdown were to happen for 3 to 4 weeks that the virus would actually die out. So to me total shutdown for 4 weeks rather than semi shutdown for 6 months is the way to go.

I’d think so economically a short shut down would be better, but I’m no expert on either health or economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Ya right. Dirty practices. From importing ivory to cutting the fins off sharks. And various other rotten things. I hope but don't believe that when all this is over they will be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

There seems to be no real discussion on how this all started. A rotten food market. With dead dogs. Live dogs. Cats, rats bats ,snakes and various other things. What a horrible culture that is. Sooner the Chinese and there dirty practices get called out the better. And that extends past food market's.

The markets only sprang up after the 70s after famine in China.

So they cant claim its cultural. Im sure when ever this all settles down China are going to have make some promises to the rest of the world. Mind there are many many other countries with wet markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Yup, I mean Tesco/Lidl etc.

Some good answers there, thanks all. Feeling a bit less anxious now.

No such look in my employment. (major retailer.)
    'gloves aren't needed as they hold the virus. Masks aren't needed unless you have the virus. Just keep washing hands and use sanitiser.' hand Sanitiser isn't even coming in on our deliveries. None being supplied to staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If you watched the press conference in Armagh yesterday by Michelle O'Neill, Arlene Foster and Leo, in relation to school closures in NI, Arlene said (quite clearly) if we close schools now, they will be closed for 14 weeks. Leo did not even raise an eyebrow!

Arlene just saying it straight/as it is!

The reality is we are in for the long haul. This is not going to be tackled in 2 weeks. Maybe under some sort of control in 2 months?

It took China 3 months to get it under control, so it isn't hard to imagine that this will take months to get control over.

I wouldn't be surprised that if in a few days we get a curfew that lasts till the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Axfrderr wrote: »
    Morning, another lovely day, great to be......oh wait..

Ha! I know. I work as a roofer and can tell you it's been a lonnngg winter, day after day stuck on a roof through all kinds of absolute horrible weather. We've been waiting months for the seasons to change to enjoy the good side of being a roofer.
    For the first time in a while the sun shining, birds singing and the buds starting to show on some trees...... Then this......
    Think I 'll cut the grass or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭Genghis

blade1 wrote: »
    Banks should up the contactless payment limit.
    €30 doesn't get you far.

The limit is only on use of cards. If your bank supports it, and your phone does, there is practically no limit on contactless payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How long will I be sick for if I do get this? Assuming I have no underlying health conditions.

Is it 1-2 weeks incubation, and then 2 weeks or cough, headache etc?
    And then it passes? Is that assuming my immune systems beats it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thailand - 32 new cases, 114 total (Accelerating)

Indonesia - 21 new cases, 117 total (Accelerating)

If you watched the press conference in Armagh yesterday by Michelle O'Neill, Arlene Foster and Leo, in relation to school closures in NI, Arlene said (quite clearly) if we close schools now, they will be closed for 14 weeks. Leo did not even raise an eyebrow!

Arlene just saying it straight/as it is!

The reality is we are in for the long haul. This is not going to be tackled in 2 weeks. Maybe under some sort of control in 2 months?

And sure if it takes 2 months to be clear of the virus, will they add that to the lenght of lockdown or just make you self isolate till you test negative.

How are china doing it i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

kevcos wrote: »
    Being reported on the radio here in the UK that 4 months self isolation will be implemented for the over 70's.

Possibly a good solution..this virus is here to stay and needs to slowly build up in the population to give us that immunity. The sooner younger people get it and recover the less infectious it would become. With those at higher risk isolated, the hospitals should be able to better handle the smaller percentage of under 70s that end up hospitalised.

The markets only sprang up after the 70s after famine in China.

So they cant claim its cultural. Im sure when ever this all settles down China are going to have make some promises to the rest of the world. Mind there are many many other countries with wet markets.

It absolutely sickens me to see the Chinese agricultural team inspect Irish farms. When in there own country they have these wet markets. And such rotten animal and human rights. The world is full of coward's now all interested in keeping rich. I feel sorry for the Muslim population. I very much doubt the Chinese state would spend much to save them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Genghis wrote: »
    The limit is only on use of cards. If your bank supports it, and your phone does, there is practically no limit on contactless payment.
    Cards is what I was on about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Even more of a reason to go mad about the ****tards in Temple Bar.

That wasn't in Temple Bar. It was in the Auld Triangle. I would also be surprised if it was from last last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

blade1 wrote: »
    Banks should up the contactless payment limit.
    €30 doesn't get you far.

It's not that straight forward. I use google pay to get around the €30 limit but it doesn't work in every shop because it depends on how their terminals are configured. Tesco actually sticks out as one where I haven't been able to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Is bringing the kids to the park an irresponsible thing to do?

We are all going to crack up in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Ha! I know. I work as a roofer and can tell you it's been a lonnngg winter, day after day stuck on a roof through all kinds of absolute horrible weather. We've been waiting months for the seasons to change to enjoy the good side of being a roofer.
    For the first time in a while the sun shining, birds singing and the buds starting to show on some trees...... Then this......
    Think I 'll cut the grass or something.

I squeezed in my first cut between the bad weather on Friday. I feel so much better about it now. Garden starting to look awake again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No. As long as they stick to themselves/don't play with others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

You believe that sh!te?

Myanmar has just announced this...

They go on to talk about how their citizens use mostly paper money instead of credit cards...

The world knows who the bull****ter countries are and they should pay a price for lying to the world.

I'd put Turkey at the top of the list for example.

I’ll raise you Nigeria (still on 2 cases)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

We are all going to crack up in the house

What kind of park? If a playground don't do it. If an outdoor area of course not. Fresh air is recommended. It's also good for the body and the mind. Practise social distancing. Enjoy the time with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No. As long as they stick to themselves/don't play with others.

That's what I was thinking. Keep our distance, just running jumping and kite flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Ya right. Dirty practices. From importing ivory to cutting the fins off sharks. And various other rotten things. I hope but don't believe that when all this is over they will be held accountable.

Both Spanish flu and swine flu started in the states. I don't remember any reparations then? Less of the racism please.

Smallpox started in Egypt, scarlet fever UK. It happens.
    Not saying hygienic food practises shouldn't be enforced globally but less finger pointing and more supporting each other please.

That kind of crap helps no one.

It absolutely sickens me to see the Chinese agricultural team inspect Irish farms. When in there own country they have these wet markets. And such rotten animal and human rights. The world is full of coward's now all interested in keeping rich. I feel sorry for the Muslim population. I very much doubt the Chinese state would spend much to save them

Maybe its time we questioned our polititians and had a debate about globalisation.
    Our privileged lifestyle in the West and how we take advantage of poorer countries.

I.e buying cheap goods

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

That's what I was thinking. Keep our distance, just running jumping and kite flying!

Sounds like a ball. Back to basics. What a great idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yip....kite flying was discussed yesterday in our house too! :)

Stay away from playgrounds. AFAIK, many councils are shutting playgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

kevcos wrote: »

I can’t see anyone doing that - imagining some of my older relatives living alone. They’d go insane. They would go out and risk it, you might as well live while you’re alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Genghis wrote: »

While you're on this subject here's my 2 cents worth.
    I think worldwide, the authorities will use this crisis to their advantage ( what's that saying about never let a good crisis go wasted or something).

Anecdotal I know, I was in a shop recently and got speaking to the older cashier about the use of cash. She reckons about 9 out of 10 transactions are now card.
    This has me thinking now that the authorities will now use this crisis to push full use of electronic payments/banking over the line, as the use of cash may aid the spread of the virus.

If this happens then I feel a lot of our freedoms will be taken away as they will know every transaction you carryout from then on.

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Both Spanish flu and swine flu started in the states. I don't remember any reparations then? Less of the racism please.

Smallpox started in Egypt, scarlet fever UK. It happens.
    Not saying hygienic food practises shouldn't be enforced globally but less finger pointing and more supporting each other please.

That kind of crap helps no one.

It's racist now to condemn rotten food practices. What are you on about. Roasting live dogs. Boiling live rats. That's not racist that's being a realist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement