Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimmy Conway

Is bringing the kids to the park an irresponsible thing to do?

We are all going to crack up in the house

No so long as you / they don’t interact with others. No playgrounds although most if not all are closed. Going for a walk is perfectly acceptable for the time being although that may change if a full lock down occurs so get out while you can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No.
    If we're going to close off or borders though then it needs to be an island closure. But what's the odds on the DUP insisting that mainland UK travelers should still be able to travel to the north.

They're should be no difference between closing off borders from Spain, Italy, or the mainland UK as it should be decided on an island basis and not political.

NI is in union with the rest of the UK and we're all currently in a union with the EU so it isn't political.

No doubt the DUP will blindly follow the Tory line above the interests of their own constituents again.

A lot of DUP voters are elderly and in the vulnerable category. Like you say shafted by their party again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Woke up with this gem going around me head this morning, all together now.....
    ♬ Don't ya sneeze on me ya gobsh*te, don't ya cough on me ya fool.......♬

https://www.facebook.com/MeanwhileinIrelandOFFICIAL/videos/2569725063274562/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Berend-Jan Bosch @UtrechtUni and Frank Grosveld @erasmusuni have discovered an antibody that neutralizes SARS-CoV-2 (and SARS-CoV) and has potential for prevention and treatment of #COVID-19.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.11.987958v1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thespoofer wrote: »
    While you're on this subject here's my 2 cents worth.
    I think worldwide, the authorities will use this crisis to their advantage ( what's that saying about never let a good crisis go wasted or something).

Anecdotal I know, I was in a shop recently and got speaking to the older cashier about the use of cash. She reckons about 9 out of 10 transactions are now card.
    This has me thinking now that the authorities will now use this crisis to push full use of electronic payments/banking over the line, as the use of cash may aid the spread of the virus.

If this happens then I feel a lot of our freedoms will be taken away as they will know every transaction you carryout from then on.

What freedom would we lose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Allinall wrote: »

The freedom to buy stuff off donedeal without the man finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would be sad to think that Arlene is sticking to her logic for political reasons, simply so that NI isn't aligning with RoI and remaining "part of the UK".

This is bigger than green and orange, Irish v British etc. By following Ireland's lead, it won't bring her closer to a United Ireland!!

She needs to do the right thing. On that point, can Stormont make its own decisions to shut schools, close non-essential businesses etc ?

I think RoI will bring in stricter measures this coming week, but it is pointless if the North is still fully open for business, education, entertainment etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

You would imagine if a total lockdown were to happen for 3 to 4 weeks that the virus would actually die out. So to me total shutdown for 4 weeks rather than semi shutdown for 6 months is the way to go.

I think all countries are going to balance a shutdown and a complete collapse of the economy.

The other question would be what happens in Ireland after our total shutdown? Do we allow people in to the country from infected areas? Which you would have to assume, if they haven't been following a total lockdown ethos, means everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Garda checking pubs across Dublin lastnight.

The old orchard on templeogue road was ordered to shut as they surpassed 100 people (nearly x3 times.)

They should be issuing fines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Anyone managing this with a toddler...both sets of grandparents live 10 mins away (59/60 and 60/64... all 4 in reasonably good health). Last visits were Friday and obv toddlers are all fun and play so it's impossible to practice any social distancing. I'm thinking of going for the odd walk with my mam practicing social distancing (I've been prepping and trying to get them to prep for ages now so I'm def more apprehensive)...I could bring him in the buggy but if I have him out running around all he wants is up in their arms/tough and tumble..anyone having to experience of having to keep their toddler away? Tell me if I'm doing something wrong here! I think they think I'm being unnecessarily strict when they might be nearer neighbours kids etc than their own grandkid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Allinall wrote: »

The use of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sir Patrick Vallance has come in for a lot of stick for his "Herd Immunity" theory, but maybe he's right? Specially in light of reading what he says below in bold.

Millions of people will need to contract coronavirus in order to control the impact of the disease which is likely to return "year on year", the government's chief scientific adviser has told Sky News.

Around 60% of the UK population will need to become infected with coronavirus in order for society to have "herd immunity" from future outbreaks, Sir Patrick Vallance said.

Returning "Year on Year"

Wow, maybe herd Immunity would be better than trying to avoid this blessed curse of a thing.

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal for all populations because it will infect most people eventually. It’s how we get there is the issue, if we all get it at the same time, the health system will collapse and many more people will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Fair play to him if only we had someone to step up here and make a difference like he is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1238997626550456320

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

theballz wrote: »

The old orchard on templeogue road was ordered to shut as they surpassed 100 people (nearly x3 times.)

If that is true, fair play (to the Gardai).

People need to get real!

They missed a few in Temple bar :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

I'd love to see faces of these pub goers if garda would enter in full protective lab gear and masks on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    I wonder when we will have our first case of it hitting an old folks home. Nothing ever 100% when humans are involved with the best will in the world. Could easily wipe out the vast majority of the occupants.

It wouldn't surprise if has already hit a nursing home. Look at all the people that came back from holidays and were free to go about their business. Doctors working away as well. I reckon the infection rate is much higher in the general population. Nursing homes wouldn't be much different and can't keep it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Fair play to him if only we had someone to step up here and make a difference like he is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1238997626550456320
    Eh, we have hospitals, planning underway for up to 10,000 beds and we don't have 21,000 cases like Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They missed a few in Temple bar :confused:

That wasnt in Temple Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If that is true, fair play (to the Gardai).

People need to get real!

I hope it's real and i hope they start issuing fines and once a lockdown comes into effect any pub found breaking it automatically loses their license

It wouldn't surprise if has already hit a nursing home. Look at all the people that came back from holidays and were free to go about their business. Doctors working away as well. I reckon the infection rate is much higher in the general population. Nursing homes wouldn't be much different and can't keep it out.
    And it may be but if it is mild and doesn't spread that adds to overall immunity.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I hope it's real and i hope they start issuing fines and once a lockdown comes into effect any pub found breaking it automatically loses their license
    Again that type of draconian approach is a sure fire way to bring in the lawyers. A couple of shutdowns should get that message across.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Eh, we have hospitals, planning underway for up to 10,000 beds and we don't have 21,000 cases like Italy.

He is in Portugal , and I just though it was a lovely gesture . Also covering Salaries of health workers he will make a huge difference if needed in his country. The world needs more people like him . Also 10,000 isn't gonna help unless you have enough ventilators for the people who need them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Will herd immunity still work, as it appears, you can be reinfected?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

He is in Portugal , and I just though it was a lovely gesture . Also covering Salaries of health workers he will make a huge difference if needed in his country. The world needs more people like him . Also 10,000 isn't gonna help unless you have enough ventilators for the people who need them.

It's being reported by various sources as fake news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Apparently the Ronaldo story is fake

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement