Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    He is in Portugal , and I just though it was a lovely gesture . Also covering Salaries of health workers he will make a huge difference if needed in his country. The world needs more people like him . Also 10,000 isn't gonna help unless you have enough ventilators for the people who need them.
    We have it covered for now and the ventilator issue will be addressed. Whatever may be thrown at health authorities they do plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Lougarden wrote: »
    It's being reported by various sources as fake news

Link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It's racist now to condemn rotten food practices. What are you on about. Roasting live dogs. Boiling live rats. That's not racist that's being a realist.

Well IMO talking about “the Chinese and there dirty practices” isn’t great.

I know many Chinese people here and absolutely all of them are appalled by the type of market you are referring to. I’d say a large part of the population (>95%) is of that opinion.

It’s a bit like saying all Romanians are thieves because it happens that a certain group in their population does indeed have a mafia across Europe organising illegal activities. There is an actual issue but “Romanians” as a whole can’t be blamed for it and a huge majority of them actually are strongly opposing the activities of that minority which turns crime into an international business.

And of course China should do more to change these behaviours - but even for a strong government it is hard to instantly change habits which are ingrained in some cultural groups. I think this will happen though as the rest of the country has had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Is bringing the kids to the park an irresponsible thing to do?

We are all going to crack up in the house

Go for a walk in a secluded area. Its social distancing. Distance yourself from people. Parks I think gather large amount of kids everyone is bored so they end up in the park. I personally wouldn't go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

antodeco wrote: »
    Will herd immunity still work, as it appears, you can be reinfected?

There was no real evidence of reinfection yet, could have been it was taking longer to clear the virus/false negative tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Fair play to him if only we had someone to step up here and make a difference like he is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1238997626550456320

Denis O'Brien will save us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anyone managing this with a toddler...both sets of grandparents live 10 mins away (59/60 and 60/64... all 4 in reasonably good health). Last visits were Friday and obv toddlers are all fun and play so it's impossible to practice any social distancing. I'm thinking of going for the odd walk with my mam practicing social distancing (I've been prepping and trying to get them to prep for ages now so I'm def more apprehensive)...I could bring him in the buggy but if I have him out running around all he wants is up in their arms/tough and tumble..anyone having to experience of having to keep their toddler away? Tell me if I'm doing something wrong here! I think they think I'm being unnecessarily strict when they might be nearer neighbours kids etc than their own grandkid

Keep your kid away from them, it’s for their own sake. You’re not being too “strict” at all, you’re doing the right thing.

Also, tell them to stay away from neighbour’s kids too.

“FaceTime” them if your kid wants to see them but don’t be going near them in person.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Austria about to fly past Japan this morning with +145 new cases so far today, 800 total.

antodeco wrote: »
    Will herd immunity still work, as it appears, you can be reinfected?
    It seems highly improbable. The reinfection "myth" is based on a few cases, one in Japan I believe, but they can't say for sure what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Go for a walk in a secluded area. Its social distancing. Distance yourself from people. Parks I think gather large amount of kids everyone is bored so they end up in the park. I personally wouldn't go

Going to the park is fine as long as you don’t come into contact with others. And it’s not that hard to avoid people.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

where can i view latest stats, new country cases. etc?

is_that_so wrote: »
    We have it covered for now and the ventilator issue will be addressed. Whatever may be thrown at health authorities they do plan.

Im not bashing the HSE I know there is planning going on I'm part of it in that I have volunteered to be be redeployed no idea what I will be doing but happy to help in what ever small way I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Just went in to Tesco in Maynooth. I was picking up a magazine before anyone says "sure you're as bad". It's not choc a bloc but it's much, much busier than I've ever seen it on a Sunday morning (particularly at 8:30). You can see people with trolly loads of stuff and bog roll is a consistent theme.

Some of the panic shoppers must be on here. I'd love to know what's going on in their heads. Daft behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Of course they are planning, but that doesn't mean the planning will be successful.

Does the govt have some secret stash of ventilators where the voting machines used to be kept?

Germany, Italy rush to buy life-saving ventilators as manufacturers warn of shortages
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-draegerwerk-ventil/germany-italy-rush-to-buy-life-saving-ventilators-as-manufacturers-warn-of-shortages-idUSKBN210362

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fair play to him if only we had someone to step up here and make a difference like he is.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FutbolBible/status/1238997626550456320

People believe anything they see on Twitter don't they

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Ha! I know. I work as a roofer and can tell you it's been a lonnngg winter, day after day stuck on a roof through all kinds of absolute horrible weather. We've been waiting months for the seasons to change to enjoy the good side of being a roofer.
    For the first time in a while the sun shining, birds singing and the buds starting to show on some trees...... Then this......
    Think I 'll cut the grass or something.
    similar position myself ,i'm a fisherman and it's been a long windy winter . only about 10 days at sea since the begining of December 1000's of euro's worth of gear destroyed . Weather is showing signs of improving at the end of the week but now demand for shellfish has gone through the floor in france and spain . It's going to put a lot of guy's out of business . However that's all out of our hand's and all we can do is hope for the best and do what's required to get over this thing. At the end of the day id prefer to struggle financially than lose friends or family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Vallance's argument has no logic.

It would mean permanent isolation for at risk categories due to the year in year out nature of it.

And it would mean permant isolation of the UK because no-one will travel there or accept visitors from there.

Its a nice idea in theory, unworkable in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

I'm no expert, but I suspect Mr Vallance is.

To be a chief medical advisor to s PM of a country of some sixty five million people is not to be sniffed at.

History is dotted with people who held very important positions and all did not end well , eg Shipman, Hitler, certain Irish political leaders, etc etc.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It seems highly improbable. The reinfection "myth" is based on a few cases, one in Japan I believe, but they can't say for sure what happened there.

Now this might be a silly question but is it possible I wonder that the virus is so minimal in someones system that they test negative and presumed recovered and then it comes back with a vengeance ? Like with HIV the meds can control it to a stage that its so low you can't pass it on ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Just went in to Tesco in Maynooth. I was picking up a magazine before anyone says "sure you're as bad". It's not choc a bloc but it's much, much busier than I've ever seen it on a Sunday morning (particularly at 8:30). You can see people with trolly loads of stuff and bog roll is a consistent theme.

Some of the panic shoppers must be on here. I'd love to know what's going on in their heads. Daft behaviour.

To be fair it's been thrown around that we are going into lockdown, people will buy just in case. Also people might be going to stay locked in for the foreseeable future and are buying stuff. I was laughing 2 days ago. Am not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Going to the park is fine as long as you don’t come into contact with others. And it’s not that hard to avoid people.

Well maybe clarity on park. I would assume they are referring to a play ground. But yeah I think my point was clear social distancing.

Lumen wrote: »
    Of course they are planning, but that doesn't mean the planning will be successful.

Does the govt have some secret stash of ventilators where the voting machines used to be kept?

Germany, Italy rush to buy life-saving ventilators as manufacturers warn of shortages
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-draegerwerk-ventil/germany-italy-rush-to-buy-life-saving-ventilators-as-manufacturers-warn-of-shortages-idUSKBN210362
    A FF SNAFU of nearly 20 years ago is relevant today how? TBH this just looks like another HSE/Ireland is crap post and that you are willing them to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Once the US is ravaged due to poor testing and awful management by the Trump administration it will be the nail in the coffin for his next bid for presidency.

At least some good may come of this all

Vallance's argument has no logic.

It would mean permanent isolation for at risk categories due to the year in year out nature of it.

And it would mean permant isolation of the UK because no-one will travel there or accept visitors from there.

Its a nice idea in theory, unworkable in practice.

In a closed system indeed, they ll have to self isolate the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Herd Immunity by journalist Robert Peston.

The UK government recently enacted its second phase of response to the COVID-19 pandemic: “delay”. According to ITV journalist Robert Peston, the government’s strategy to minimise the impact of COVID-19 “is to allow the virus to pass through the entire population so that we acquire herd immunity, but at a much delayed speed so that those who suffer the most acute symptoms are able to receive the medical support they need, and such that the health service is not overwhelmed and crushed by the sheer number of cases it has to treat at any one time”. At face value, this seems like a sound strategy, but what exactly is herd immunity and can it be used to combat COVID-19?

Our bodies fight infectious diseases through the actions of our immune systems. When we recover, we often retain an immunological memory of the disease that enables us to fight off that same disease in the future. This is how vaccines work, creating this immune memory without requiring getting sick with the disease.

LINK;
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/coronavirus-can-herd-immunity-really-protect-us

Not a hope in hell can the UK stop their health service getting 'overwhelmed' - where they let the infection pass uncontrolled through the entire population.

'Sound' it is not for sure.

Ostriches and idiots come to mind amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

gozunda wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell can the UK stop their health service getting 'overwhelmed' - where they let the infection pass uncontrolled through the entire population.

Ostriches and idiots come to mind amongst other things.

In fairness ours will most likely get overwhelmed with the measures we have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

DeanAustin wrote: »

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Once the US is ravaged due to poor testing and awful management by the Trump administration it will be the nail in the coffin for his next bid for presidency.

At least some good may come of this all

Tone deaf post of the day.

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement