Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

You would imagine if a total lockdown were to happen for 3 to 4 weeks that the virus would actually die out. So to me total shutdown for 4 weeks rather than semi shutdown for 6 months is the way to go.

Yes, and NEVER allow anyone into our country again in case they restart it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair it's been thrown around that we are going into lockdown, people will buy just in case. Also people might be going to stay locked in for the foreseeable future and are buying stuff. I was laughing 2 days ago. Am not now.

Even if we go into “lock down” the shops will stay open and the shelves will be stocked.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

How long will I be sick for if I do get this? Assuming I have no underlying health conditions.

Is it 1-2 weeks incubation, and then 2 weeks or cough, headache etc?
    And then it passes? Is that assuming my immune systems beats it?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Once the US is ravaged due to poor testing and awful management by the Trump administration it will be the nail in the coffin for his next bid for presidency.

At least some good may come of this all

Other countries are not exactly showing him up with regard to their great reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I wouldn’t class my behavior as panic buying, but over the week leading to Thursday, I stocked up a lot on essentials. We’re a family of six, so even three or four days of supplies is a full trolley. Maybe a lot of people were just preparing for social distancing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Now this might be a silly question but is it possible I wonder that the virus is so minimal in someones system that they test negative and presumed recovered and then it comes back with a vengeance ? Like with HIV the meds can control it to a stage that its so low you can't pass it on ?
    It doesn't seem so. Here's a piece I was reading earlier.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spread-after-recovery.html

I'd encourage posters to read out past the bare numbers and doom and gloom graphs as there is lot more information out there and updates on research work on treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

is_that_so wrote: »
    A FF SNAFU of nearly 20 years ago is relevant today how? TBH this just looks like another HSE/Ireland is crap post and that you are willing them to fail.

The real ff snafu is letting the health system
    get so bad in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Bob24 wrote: »
    Well IMO talking about “the Chinese and there dirty practices” isn’t great.

I know many Chinese people here and absolutely all of them are appalled by the type of market you are referring to. I’d say a large part of the population (>95%) is of that opinion.

It’s a bit like saying all Romanians are thieves because it happens that a certain group in their population does indeed have a mafia across Europe organising illegal activities. There is an actual issue but “Romanians” as a whole can’t be blamed for it and a huge majority of them actually are strongly opposing the activities of that minority which turns crime into an international business.

And of course China should do more to change these behaviours - but even for a strong government it is hard to instantly change habits which are ingrained in some cultural groups. I think this will happen though as the rest of the country has had enough.

All of these other things you mention are illegal. A Thief a criminal etc. Hard to enforce though but condemned. Not exactly sure of the Chinese's official opinion on food market's. Or wiping out sea creatures for fictional medicines but I doubt all these rotten practices are branded illegal .now refrain from the racist talk. Thanks and goodbye I'm off to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

To be fair it's been thrown around that we are going into lockdown, people will buy just in case. Also people might be going to stay locked in for the foreseeable future and are buying stuff. I was laughing 2 days ago. Am not now.

If and when lockdown comes, and the government haven't mentioned it yet, the shops will still be open as they are in Italy and Spain. Panic buying is as selfish and brainless now as it was 2 days ago.

People panic buying a few days ago were criticised for being selfish. Anyone doing it today is just as selfish, they've just been late to the party.

Other countries are not exactly showing him up with regard to their great reactions.
    Two countries, the majority of the rest have kicked into action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    He is in Portugal , and I just though it was a lovely gesture . Also covering Salaries of health workers he will make a huge difference if needed in his country. The world needs more people like him . Also 10,000 isn't gonna help unless you have enough ventilators for the people who need them.

Is that genuine? See a few people claiming it's fake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Anyone?

I read somewhere yesterday up to 37 days, Im open to correction

This is a new virus with so many unknowns

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It seems highly improbable. The reinfection "myth" is based on a few cases, one in Japan I believe, but they can't say for sure what happened there.

You don't know that stop spreading false info, this could be just like the seasonal flu and mutate meaning any herd immunity, if there is any to be even gained, we will probably lose come next winter and start from scratch again.

Also there is nowhere near enough info to say with any certainty the kind of herd immunity required in the UK's plans is even possible with the existing strain of the virus, so again stop spreading false info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Your also getting some of the regular afternoon shoppers now going in the early morning to avoid contact with people. Its not all just panic buying your seeing.

VinLieger wrote: »
    You don't know that stop spreading false info, this could be just like the seasonal flu and mutate meaning any herd immunity, if there is any to be even gained, we will probably lose come next winter and start from scratch again.

Also there is nowhere near enough info to say with any certainty the kind of herd immunity required in the UK's plans is even possible with the existing strain of the virus, so again stop spreading false info.
    Eh, that comes from scientists themselves so stop being an ass and reading whatever rubbish you're reading at present. Here's one link and I can get you plenty more. Holohan mentioned this in an answer yesterday.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/can-you-get-coronavirus-again-after_l_5e6a8e2fc5b6dda30fc57d7d

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Anyone?

How long is a piece of string. Every case is different. Guessing 14 days min but again depends on the person I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If and when lockdown comes, and the government haven't mentioned it yet, the shops will still be open as they are in Italy and Spain. Panic buying is as selfish and brainless now as it was 2 days ago.

People panic buying a few days ago were criticised for being selfish. Anyone doing it today is just as selfish, they've just been late to the party.

That’s your opinion Dean. Another equally valid opinion is that someone going into a busy supermarket just to buy a magazine is brainless. Do you just buy one item every time you go to the shop or did you buy a couple of days supplies at some other stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Eh, that comes from scientists themselves so proof please.

https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1238998307252269058

Also a single study is nowhere near enough to claim this as being 100% true, and again we still know nowhere near enough about this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A FF SNAFU of nearly 20 years ago is relevant today how? TBH this just looks like another HSE/Ireland is crap post and that you are willing them to fail.

On the contrary, I hope they succeed, and I have no political axe to grind. I'm just pointing out that every country that has been hit by this thing thought they would be OK until they weren't, and it is hubristic to consider that Ireland will be any different.

Plan for success, prepare for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Anyone?

Probably a month from start to finish but 2-3 weeks isolation once you show symptoms. You may want to get tested at various stages to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Even if we go into “lock down” the shops will stay open and the shelves will be stocked.

Yes, and heading into the shop at the height of the outbreak is considerably more likely to expose you to the virus compared to being stocked up now and not needing to go to the shop later. Obviously that's excluding going into a packed shop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

VinLieger wrote: »

Is_that_so believes everything is awesome and great so should be dealt with a pinch of salt.

Also his beloved Dr. Tony is never ever wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

DeanAustin wrote: »

Who says it is panic buying? I didn't get paid yet since closing of schools and other places. I have 2 students with no grants and have several times posted of my financial difficulties (rent x3, loans x 3, phone bills x 3) I will be filling my trolly the day I am paid and it won't be panic buying. It will be necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In fairness ours will most likely get overwhelmed with the measures we have taken.

You do realise that's the UK stated aim so that their health service will not supposedly be 'overwhelmed' or are you suggesting Ireland should be having a willy waving competition with the UK?

Will people get infected here? Yes. Is the UK following World Health Organisation advice? No.

Exactly why the UK are trying to prove some inane theory which the World Health Organisation's has slammed for the very reason that not enough is known about the virus to allow millions to simply become infected - remains unexplained

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Lidl and Aldi should put booking systems in place. Customers would book a slot, let's say 11:00-12:00 and only X number of customers allowed at such slot.
    Plus - limits on toilet rolls per booking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.

I think it's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

voluntary wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi should put booking systems in place. Customers would book a slot, let's say 11:00-12:00 and only X number of customers allowed at such slot.
    Plus - limits on toilet rolls per booking :)

Not that simple. It would take 2-3 months (at the very least) to implement such a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

They're gonna walk into a disaster if they don't get their act together soon..

"One doctor’s story: ‘We don’t have the masks, goggles – or the staff’"
    "When Boris Johnson talks about our wonderful NHS and how well-prepared it is, that’s bull****. He either doesn’t have a clue or is trying to falsely reassure people"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/coronavirus-senior-nhs-consultant-speaks-out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

I don't know if its true but I would actually be relieved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement