Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yes, and heading into the shop at the height of the outbreak is considerably more likely to expose you to the virus compared to being stocked up now and not needing to go to the shop later. Obviously that's excluding going into a packed shop now.

Theres probably 2 types of bulk buying

Thursdays panic buying because it took an announcement from Leo to wake up so many people to the sh#tstorm thats coming.

Bulk buying by folk who dont want to go near a shop for weeks, bulk buying has been going on for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.

I originally thought it was BS, however, the public is not taking social distancing (businesses and consumers) are not taking serious - the HSE and Irish government have relied on cooperation. Common should prevail - it has not.

As the basis that the state is not taking social distancing serious, it is very likely that state will now need to enforce it. Certainly before St Patrick’s day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

If NI don’t lockdown with us we should get the Army to close the border. Give 24 hours notice then just close it. Happening all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.

I had heard Monday ... hope it’s true as relying on everyone to be sensible and stay at home hasn’t worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think it would be too soon.

I would expect more measures next week but not full/absolute lock down (next week at least).

Additionally I don't think phrases such as "status red lockdown" are helpful without definining what is meant by them.

Even in China, the harshest restrictions still allowed grocery and pharmacy shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

VinLieger wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/1238998307252269058

Also a single study is nowhere near enough to claim this as being 100% true, and again we still know nowhere near enough about this virus.

Thats disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

https://youtu.be/d0LeL9BUPtA

Anyone else feel like this song will become fairly apt over the next month.....

How about I hope I'm old before I die Robbie Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think it’s coming. People keep thinking our numbers aren’t so bad and not many deaths etc but they don’t know what they are talking about.

Once we have full lockdown, our numbers will most likely still shoot up exponentially for at least 2 weeks afterwards. Then it’s a case of praying that the measures we have brought in will actually work. This is why the people disregarding the social distance measures are such a drain on society at the moment. It’s also why more drastic measures (including the closures of the pubs they can’t live without) will be required.

Again, on the positive, I really want to applaud our government, our authority’s and our hero healthcare workers who are stepping up in the best possible way for us all. None of us probably realise how much they have done , are doing and will do for us by the time this is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

If NI don’t lockdown with us we should get the Army to close the border. Give 24 hours notice then just close it. Happening all over Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,282 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

is_that_so wrote: »
    It still doesn't support your numpty claim it is false info.

Its false of you to portray it as being 100% true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Are the shopping centres still mental? Dont want to go near 'em if they Are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Even if we go into “lock down” the shops will stay open and the shelves will be stocked.

The term lock down should not really be use.
    It gives the impression of Marshall law.
    It only cause panic.
    Public containment measures is what would be an official wording.
    The government will introduce measures in stages.
    Bubs restaurants and all leasure and social related activities international flights to stop this week I would say.

Following week major reduction in public transport none essential companies construction , none essential businesses and shops to close

That would leave front line staff banks emergency services and government staff left.
    If we flatten our curve of infection and keep new infections to a minimum.

The end of May you might see some lifting of restrictions.

If they go further than this with measures
    It won't matter we be Italy.

Lumen wrote: »
    Additionally I don't think phrases such as "status red lockdown" are helpful without definining what is meant by them.

Even in China, the harshest restrictions still allowed grocery and pharmacy shopping.

Just look at Italy and Spain for a peek into our not so distance future.
    Pharmacy’s and food shops will remain open. Nobody will starve or not have access to buy food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

lawred2 wrote: »
    Dolt of a sister posting on Instagram in London in a packed wine bar saying "not quite ready for quarantine yet"

And she an NHS worker

This has triggered me worse than anything else I’ve read or seen in the last few weeks.

gozunda wrote: »
    You do realise that's the UK stated aim so that their health service will not supposedly be 'overwhelmed' or are you suggesting Ireland should be having a willy waving competition with the UK?

Will people get infected here? Yes. Is the UK following World Health Organisation advice? No.

Exactly why the UK are trying to prove some inane theory which the World Health Organisation's has slammed for the very reason that not enough is known about the virus to allow millions to simply become infected - remains unexplained

Calm down I didn't say they were right, I said I can see our health system being overwhelmed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

How about I hope I'm old before I die Robbie Williams

As opposed to 'hope I die before I get old by The WHO'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We cant let the braindead alco's run feral on Paddy's Day so it has to be tonight/Monday morning.

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies, but with nearly 3,000 trying to view this forum at present things seem to have slowed down

Currently 1200 people online at 9am on a Sunday. Hope they've upped the amount of coke & hookers you all get :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think it would be too soon.

I would expect more measures next week but not full/absolute lock down (next week at least).

What would a status red lockdown mean? What Italy have at the moment, or more restricted?

Lumen wrote: »

Status green for tuesday, red for wednesday. :p

They ll have to close pubs etc before tuesday.

• Advertisement

We can only close a border in name as far as I can tell. Make it illegal to go into Northern Ireland and vice versa. I’m not sure they want to do that as it could cause a serious political divide. Also if we are on full lockdown I would of thought there is still a much lower chance of spread if people aren’t out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Upto 4 Months, UK starting to take it serious ....

Elderly will be asked to stay at home for four months

Sophy Ridge asks the health secretary to confirm that those over-70 will be asked to self-isolate and stay at home - for up to four months.

He says "that is the plan" but "not yet".

Asked when the advice will officially change, Hancock reveals "in the coming weeks".

He admits it's "not an easy thing for people to do, not an easy thing for people to sustain".

Emergency laws will be published on Thursday

The legislation is about creating a "broad range of actions all about preparing Britain", Hancock says. Details will be revealed on Tuesday and the bill itself will be published on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is_that_so believes everything is awesome and great so should be dealt with a pinch of salt.

Also his beloved Dr. Tony is never ever wrong.
    Throw up your own evidence if they offend you so much. I'm sure the public at large would welcome your insights.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Just look at Italy and Spain for a peek into our not so distance future.
    Pharmacy’s and food shops will remain open. Nobody will starve or not have access to buy food.

What about builders merchants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Not sure what your thanking the government for as they were way to slow to react. They should have cancelled the election back in February when this was starting to take off. They continued to let flights in from Italy when it declared a state of emergency. I don't see any reason to thank or applaud them right now. I do however hope they start to come good but I am not seeing that over the last few days.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think it’s coming. People keep thinking our numbers aren’t so bad and not many deaths etc but they don’t know what they are talking about.

Once we have full lockdown, our numbers will most likely still shoot up exponentially for at least 2 weeks afterwards. Then it’s a case of praying that the measures we have brought in will actually work. This is why the people disregarding the social distance measures are such a drain on society at the moment. It’s also why more drastic measures (including the closures of the pubs they can’t live without) will be required.

Again, on the positive, I really want to applaud our government, our authority’s and our hero healthcare workers who are stepping up in the best possible way for us all. None of us probably realise how much they have done , are doing and will do for us by the time this is finished.

pjohnson wrote: »
    We cant let the braindead alco's run feral on Paddy's Day so it has to be tonight/Monday morning.

We probably need to bring in more significant laws (maybe nasty fines) for those seen drinking out or in groups. You don’t want these muppets getting into groups and drinking in packs either. Let them organise it at home and infect their own families.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Still only a tub of butter in my fridge.

Kind of proud of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

What's happening with jobs

Factories and the like?

As opposed to 'hope I die before I get old by The WHO'

Am already an auld wan so doesn't matter to me...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Do you realise how many border crossings we have? impossible to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement