Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pjohnson wrote: »
    We cant let the braindead alco's run feral on Paddy's Day so it has to be tonight/Monday morning.

We probably need to bring in more significant laws (maybe nasty fines) for those seen drinking out or in groups. You don’t want these muppets getting into groups and drinking in packs either. Let them organise it at home and infect their own families.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Still only a tub of butter in my fridge.

Kind of proud of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

What's happening with jobs

Factories and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

As opposed to 'hope I die before I get old by The WHO'

Am already an auld wan so doesn't matter to me...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

If NI don’t lockdown with us we should get the Army to close the border. Give 24 hours notice then just close it. Happening all over Europe.

Do you realise how many border crossings we have? impossible to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Again, on the positive, I really want to applaud our government, our authority’s and our hero healthcare workers who are stepping up in the best possible way for us all. None of us probably realise how much they have done , are doing and will do for us by the time this is finished.

+1.

I have no love for the government, and the HSE has long been a **** show but, some initial tradiness aside, seems to me they are now playing a blinder (insofar as that is possible). Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Social media is a curse. It spreads fake news and panic more than anything.

There is already talk of a red shutdown this coming week. It is coming from social media. All it needs is one person to start it, and ironically enough, it spread on SM like a virus!

I have already seen a video supposedly from a guy who was in an emergency meeting with army, guards, Gov, etc and the shutdown starts on Tuesday. May all be false, but this stuff will increase the panic buying today and tomorrow. It will be crazy.

A big shutdown is coming, make no mistake about it. Would it be this week? We'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What about builders merchants?

The customers all have PPE anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its false of you to portray it as being 100% true
    There is no absolutely no part of my post which uses the word true. That would be your interpretation of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

dan786 wrote: »
    Upto 4 Months, UK starting to take it serious ....

Elderly will be asked to stay at home for four months

Sophy Ridge asks the health secretary to confirm that those over-70 will be asked to self-isolate and stay at home - for up to four months.

He says "that is the plan" but "not yet".

Asked when the advice will officially change, Hancock reveals "in the coming weeks".

He admits it's "not an easy thing for people to do, not an easy thing for people to sustain".

Emergency laws will be published on Thursday

The legislation is about creating a "broad range of actions all about preparing Britain", Hancock says. Details will be revealed on Tuesday and the bill itself will be published on Thursday.

It makes sense to do this though, doesn't it? All I have heard in Ireland is to keep the kids inside but I haven't heard any mention about the vulnerable isolating themselves.

Also, I'm betting lock down tomorrow, same style as Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not sure what your thanking the government for as they were way to slow to react. They should have cancelled the election back in February when this was starting to take off. They continued to let flights in from Italy when it declared a state of emergency. I don't see any reason to thank or applaud them right now. I do however hope they start to come good but I am not seeing that over the last few days.

No they shouldn’t, you are wrong. Don’t remember seeing you around in these threads when we were all keeping a watchful eye on this as far back as January and wanted our government to start communicating with its people on it.

Some mistakes have been made but I’m not sure many countries can say they have dealt with this outbreak in a stellar fashion. Since last week our authories and the people running things have been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Still only a tub of butter in my fridge.

Kind of proud of that.

At least that's one thing that won't spread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Opinions is buying stuff online good or bad? So it keeps the economy going but presumably puts delivery drivers, postmen etc & they people they interact with at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Anyone else feel like this song will become fairly apt over the next month.....

From the Guardian feed @9.05
    German newspaper Welt am Sonntag has reported that US president Donald Trump has sought exclusive rights to a vaccine for the coronavirus which is being developed by a German-based company, CureVac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

UnnIvzgTgusry09LQJ9V_graphic.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

rogieop wrote: »
    Do you realise how many border crossings we have? impossible to do.

I don’t agree
    Countries like Czech Republic and Slovakia are doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.

I hate fear mongering and sensationalism, but we had a public health nurse at our house on thursday (3 week old newborn), and she said they're preparing for this. Now it could be it meant what Leo announced on Thursday, but sounded more a full lockdown. No timelines or anything, and was said it was being planned for, so may not come about, just wouldn't be surprised myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Drumpot wrote: »
    No they shouldn’t, you are wrong. Don’t remember seeing you around in these threads when we were all keeping a watchful eye on this and wanted our government to start communicating with its people on it.

Some mistakes have been made but I’m not sure many countries can say they have dealt with this outbreak in a stellar fashion. Since last week our authories and the people running things have been excellent.

Nonetheless, so far we are sustaining higher case rates than the UK, per capita (we're at 26/million, they're at 17). We were level for a while, but the gap is widening, which is a concern.

It remains to be seen over the next few days whether they pull "ahead".

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Opinions is buying stuff online good or bad? So it keeps the economy going but presumably puts delivery drivers, postmen etc & they people they interact with at risk?

Plus you might not get it for quite a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Bulk buying by folk who dont want to go near a shop for weeks, bulk buying has been going on for weeks.

Anyone who has been following this since the start will have been gradually making preparations, this is a slower burner so we've had plenty of time to get ready.

It's like the other 99% of people just woke up last week and realised what's happening and had absolute panic.

I've been telling my circle of family and friends to get ready since January and while they joked about it they did take the advice and we're all as prepared as possible.

I am not afraid of the virus at this stage, I am afraid of what it will do to our people, society and economy.

Law and order will break down in some places, that's pretty terrifying. Some of us will not come out of this in a good place emotionally, mentally, psychologically.

People will lose their lives, loved ones, jobs and businesses.

Many people still have their head in the sand and think its going to be grand (see pub goers etc). They haven't yet taken the blinkers off and had a look around at what's happening to our world as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If flights are going to be grounded soon / airlines go bust, how are many products going to be delivered for shops etc...?

China and Italy may have done best because the external economics were still business as usual, but if there's pretty much a global lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

All of these other things you mention are illegal. A Thief a criminal etc. Hard to enforce though but condemned. Not exactly sure of the Chinese's official opinion on food market's. Or wiping out sea creatures for fictional medicines but I doubt all these rotten practices are branded illegal .now refrain from the racist talk. Thanks and goodbye I'm off to work
    Wet markets are very different to regular food markets. The wet markets were banned in China in response to the SARS outbreak in 2003. In Wuhan, corrupt officials turned a blind eye to the practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,234 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bojo dithering about mass gatherings as the biggest mass gatherer in the UK - Football shut itself down last week.

When muli billion pound industry is acting more responsible then governance then you know your fúcked.

I don’t agree
    Countries like Czech Republic and Slovakia are doing it
    Most EU countries would see a lot more cross-border movement than us and it's their call. It may be in our plans but there's a way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

gozunda wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell can the UK stop their health service getting 'overwhelmed' - where they let the infection pass uncontrolled through the entire population.

'Sound' it is not for sure.

Ostriches and idiots come to mind amongst other things.

From what I’ve been reading it’s not a question of letting it pass uncontrolled. I understood that the UK approach is a question of timing, when to shut things down for maximum benefit, given that a shutdown is temporary. I think it’s a more realistic, perhaps fatalistic approach, to acknowledge that there is only a limited time frame that you can lock down a country before you start to cause economic disaster, mental health disaster and law and order problems. Are people forgetting that ALL this is about is slowing down and spreading out cases so that hospitals can cope. There is no stopping this now. You can isolate us all for months, destroying countless lives in the process - but the virus will still be here. Most of us are going to have to get it eventually. it’s only a question of when, and will there be a hospital bed available if needed. The smug ‘we know better than you’ attitude is annoying - can anyone predict the damage this shutdown is going to cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Anyone who thinks we wont go into full lockdown at some stage soon has their head in the sand.

Trips to shop/supermarket and pharmacies will be all that is allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Anyone who has been following this since the start will have been gradually making preparations, this is a slower burner so we've had plenty of time to get ready.

It's like the other 99% of people just woke up last week and realised what's happening and had absolute panic.

I've been telling my circle of family and friends to get ready since January and while they joked about it they did take the advice and we're all as prepared as possible.

I am not afraid of the virus at this stage, I am afraid of what it will do to our people, society and economy.

Law and order will break down in some places, that's pretty terrifying. Some of us will not come out of this in a good place emotionally, mentally, psychologically.

People will lose their lives, loved ones, jobs and businesses.

Many people still have their head in the sand and think its going to be grand (see pub goers etc). They haven't yet taken the blinkers off and had a look around at what's happening to our world as we know it.

Virus affects the brain in the early stages

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement