Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

is_that_so wrote: »
    On Twitter? Is this like the Army thing from last week? It doesn't sound like it is coming as they've made no reference to it. The school measure was expected but the timing was maybe not for some people.

apparently it is coming. Missus's niece 's husband is a cop and he's been saying it. All holidays banned for next 3 months for the guardai as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is an assumption that it will give some without the vaccine but the level it might be is unknown.

It's a massive gamble with people's lives based on very little available information. Yet we have those on here already speaking of envy.

Beggars belief..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭cmac2009

rogieop wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks we wont go into full lockdown at some stage soon has their head in the sand.

Trips to shop/supermarket and pharmacies will be all that is allowed.

So lockdown means you're not allowed out even for a quick walk/run? Depending on the length of the lockdown this is going to have a serious effect on peoples mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

"Action to isolate the UK's over-70s for an extended period to shield them from coronavirus is planned in the coming weeks, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has confirmed."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51895873

Weeks? WEEKS?!?! It feels like they haven't watched the news at all in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The UK seem to be losing the plot! The over 70s to isolate for 4 months while the rest of them carry on as normal. Johnson is really starting to show his true colours now. A selfish individual motivated by greed. Keep the oldies at home as that won't bother the economy. An ignorant human being that makes Trump look like a saint. Of course Trump is over 70 too so he won't be fond of those measures lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

cmac2009 wrote: »
    So lockdown means you're not allowed out even for a quick walk/run? Depending on the length of the lockdown this is going to have a serious effect on peoples mental health.

In Italy this is the case, you cannot go out for a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's a massive gamble with people's lives based on very little available information. Yet we have those on here already speaking of envy.

Beggars belief..

BJ is a gambler though, that's his style

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭boetstark

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hope we all remember those pubs that stayed open last night, packed to the rafters.
    When this blows over and the true extent is known, I hope we never set foot in them again

On flip side, we need to support all those who took the hard choices early. They may have closed, but we need to support if they can reopen I some form.

Would be a great opportunity for big businesses to be as altruistic as possible.
    We will not forgot those companies that go above and beyond just making profit.

100% agree, we need to close pubs. But it needs to go further
    Just saw too elderly ladies in local centra coughing into their hands and strolling around touching unwrapped breads fruit etc
    Kids playing in the street together yesterday
    Coffee shops full of people yesterday.
    Please whoever is in charge announce a total lock down and ENFORCE it before it's too late.
    Unfortunately we have a lot of immature idiots in the country that cannot be trusted to take this seriously.
    Stay safe everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The UK response is looking more and more sensible as the days pass.

Isolate the over 70-'s and get the herd immunisation up in the general population with the minimum negative effect on the economy.

We may well be looking at their politicians and health expects with envy in 6-12 months time.

But isn't their herd immunity approach not scientifically sound. Many experts are heavily critical of it

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

The UK response is looking more and more sensible as the days pass.
    Pretty daft thing to say seeing as we won't know the result for quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blazer wrote: »
    apparently it is coming. Missus's niece 's husband is a cop and he's been saying it. All holidays banned for next 3 months for the guardai as well.
    I have no doubt it is in the range of measures but that just sounds like part of the planning. So far the appeal is to personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I hope we all remember those pubs that stayed open last night, packed to the rafters.
    When this blows over and the true extent is known, I hope we never set foot in them again

On flip side, we need to support all those who took the hard choices early. They may have closed, but we need to support if they can reopen in some form.

Its hard to describe how wholeheartedly i agree with your statement.

This should be run as an ad campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Seeing that it was mostly older people who supported the economic suicide that is Brexit and voted in the feckers performing a massive health experiment on population. The only good thing is these guys would reap what they sown first. Sorry for the people who did not support these conservative neo fascists however

Jesus. What a horrible post.

Funny that you things about Brexit at this time, while every country is frantically shutting its borders to isolate themselves.

Cop on and stop using this situation as a political stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Harris isn't too happy over on twitter with the folks who were having a sing song in Temple Bar, he has a point though it's kinda reckless when the disease is spreading this fast over the last few days.

Fair play to him for calling it out. We have a community public health emergency. We should use some good old fashioned community public order policing. Batons at the ready. All you need is for one of the pubs with temple bar webcam getting a dose of templemore's finest and it would simultaneously implement social distancing and dissuade any gob****es travelling here for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Every government / country will issue different protocols in the event of a full on
    Containment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    But isn't their herd immunity approach not scientifically sound. Many experts are heavily critical of it

Even if ours works, which it wont, and the virus dies off in Ireland, surely all it takes is a single infected passenger to fly into Dublin in 3/6/9 months time and we repeat cycle??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

+1000, as will Germany and the US likely follow their path. Three huge players in the global economy. These countries didn't get where they are today due to bad decisions. They are one step ahead as always. Time will tell...

France was heading that direction be changed course yesterday. IMO the U.K. will also backtrack within the next 10 days.

I think there are 2 major issues with that strategy:
    - it seems to inevitably result in saturating the health system and causing many deaths which could have been avoided. And once health authorities start reporting that people are dying en masse due to lack of care, it is hard for any politician and for the public to say “this is the strategy and we keep going”.
    - it is a huge gamble as we don’t fully understand the virus and it could mutate. So basing the strategy on the fact that there will be no reinfection and that the virus won’t become more severe is a bit of a gamble with a lot at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Blazer wrote: »

Yes, this is correct. I hope three months is enough, I suppose we'll get used to staying in when we've no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of pubs in mayo are now closed with immediate effect. (,source ,connaught telegraph fb page)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I’m no Boris fan but does keeping the most at risk group most of whom aren’t working anyway at home seems to make a lot of sense. There was a guy on The Journal yesterday saying if other people didn’t start being more careful he’d have to cancel plans as he has CF. While the poor kid has my sympathies why hasn’t he cancels his plans, he has CF!

• Advertisement

Even if ours works, which it wont, and the virus dies off in Ireland, surely all it takes is a single infected passenger to fly into Dublin in 3/6/9 months time and we repeat cycle??
    In 9 months time a lot more should be known and who knows what evolution we'll have seen in testing, treatments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

How the hell can you police that in rural communities? Maybe in the cities that might be implemented, but when you're living back in the sticks in West Kerry, you will still have relative freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

+1000, as will Germany and the US likely follow their path. Three huge players in the global economy. These countries didn't get where they are today due to bad decisions. They are one step ahead as always. Time will tell...

The long term numbers will be important. A lot of people here dismissing the British response, but it is based on scientific evidence and reasoning.
    The "famous flattening the curve" expression doesn't change the area under the curve which represents the total no. Of people infected. The same number of people will get the infection but spread over a longer period.
    This infection combined with seasonal flu next October will be no joke.
    Ultimately I accept the WHO expertise, but I also accept the British expertise and desire for the best outcome. There are different approaches but all working for the best long term outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I’m no Boris fan but does keeping the most at risk group most of whom aren’t working anyway at home seems to make a lot of sense. There was a guy on The Journal yesterday saying if other people didn’t start being more careful he’d have to cancel plans as he has CF. While the poor kid has my sympathies why hasn’t he cancels his plans, he has CF!

Doesn't affect the economy much, that's part of the reasoning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think the plan is that in the months ahead, we'll be better equipped to fight this outbreak. That could mean more hospital beds, ICUs, medications and maybe even a vaccine. It's about keeping the damage to a point where services can cope, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Tbh, I can’t see how that could be policed. I live on the outskirts of a fairly sizeable Midlands town and in order to prevent people from going for a walk/run, you’d need 100s, if not 1000s of Gards or Army folks, what with all the side roads and country paths. Multiply that up across the country and it’s just unfeasible.

That’s also ignoring the fact that it’s not necessary either. I often go for 10+ km runs in my area and don’t physically pass a single person (in the flesh, as opposed to passing cars)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Why on earth are radio stations still running ads for events that are obviously not going to go ahead. Just heard an ad for an event in my local library, which has been closed since friday.

Airtime is paid for and scheduled in advance. Radio stations can't pull adverts until the clients tell them to do so. If a client does, they have still paid for airtime and usually fill it with something else. Maybe in this case the client has not pulled the advert because they have nothing else to fill it with.

It's not the fault of the radio station, they are honouring a contract for which they hope to be paid for fulfilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Doesn't affect the economy much, that's part of the reasoning

But it’s in everyone’s interest to keep the economy going.

Bob24 wrote: »
    France was heading that direction be changed course yesterday. IMO the U.K. will also backtrack within the next 10 days.

I think there are 2 major issues with that strategy:
    - it seems to inevitably result in saturating the health system and causing many deaths which could have been avoided. And once health authorities start reporting that people are dying en masse due to lack of care, it is hard for any politician and for the public to say “this is the strategy and we keep going”.
    - it is a huge gamble and we don’t fully understand the virus and it could mutate. So basing the strategy on the fact that there will be no reinfection and that the virus won’t become more severe is a bit of a gamble with a lot at stake.
    They are all using variants of the ECDC and WHO protocols. Apart from China I think there there is a lot of stumbling around to find things that could work to flatten that curve and save heath systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

joe40 wrote: »
    Ultimately I accept the WHO expertise, but I also accept the British expertise and desire for the best outcome. There are different approaches but all working for the best long term outcome.

The science is very questionable and the messaging was terrible. They were trying to say "be careful and flatten the curve" at the same time as "ah sure, we need you all to get it".

Public health rule #1: don't send mixed messages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement