Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Their non scientific, eugenics policy will kill hundreds of thousands, yet I am the bad guy?
    Both of these things can be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Doesn't affect the economy much, that's part of the reasoning

Except if Britain has nowhere to sell its goods as the rest of the world is on lockdown and ain’t buying and taking shipments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

The UK response is looking more and more sensible as the days pass.

Isolate the over 70-'s and get the herd immunisation up in the general population with the minimum negative effect on the economy.

We may well be looking at their politicians and health expects with envy in 6-12 months time.

I haven't read anywhere that the UK were isolating the over 70s while they were promoting the spread. It seemed to me that they were ok with the inevitable rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Harris isn't too happy over on twitter with the folks who were having a sing song in Temple Bar, he has a point though it's kinda reckless when the disease is spreading this fast over the last few days.

Irish people are too thick for this to actually work. The photos from templebar last night are insane!!

Incidentally, at the start of this I was a ‘its just the flu’ guy.... I’m now quite concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How the hell can you police that in rural communities? Maybe in the cities that might be implemented, but when you're living back in the sticks in West Kerry, you will still have relative freedom.

This is where people have to do as they are told.

OF course the Gov and authorities cant stop people leaving their homes, but in this time of crisis we need people to have a bit of cop on and stop acting the eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    But it’s in everyone’s interest to keep the economy going.
    Which is why most countries are adopting a phased approach where they can. Tourism, travel and hospitality are going to take a massive hit with retail not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I despise FG but I honestly think the government have been on the ball here been very pro active when other countries wernt and I expect more stringent measures in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Even if ours works, which it wont, and the virus dies off in Ireland, surely all it takes is a single infected passenger to fly into Dublin in 3/6/9 months time and we repeat cycle??

It is quite possible that we can get a hold on the situation although with high amount of sacrifice .
    Many countries that have had infections and are clear now not many to be honest.
    Any flights in coming all would be tested and put into quarantine for a designated period of time.
    This will work on a short term period.
    EU also looking at quarantine people before travel in Europe and issue a certificate of been clear of the virus and safe to travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

joe40 wrote: »
    The long term numbers will be important. A lot of people here dismissing the British response, but it is based on scientific evidence and reasoning.
    The "famous flattening the curve" expression doesn't change the area under the curve which represents the total no. Of people infected. The same number of people will get the infection but spread over a longer period.
    This infection combined with seasonal flu next October will be no joke.
    Ultimately I accept the WHO expertise, but I also accept the British expertise and desire for the best outcome. There are different approaches but all working for the best long term outcome.

British assumption no long term damage from contracting the disease. There is plenty of evidence to suggest this. Google "ground glass opacities" to see the effect on non emergency patients if you are interested. They are ignoring this or that reinfection can't won't occur. The common cold is a coronavirus. Is anyone immune to it?

Ultimately I believe they know the approach is boll0x and are trying to keep things going a little bit longer before drastic measures are implemented. Very important to appear to have a plan. Most people don't possess the intellect to comprehend if it is actually feasible. By the time it gets bad they'll just say "aw well we tried"

Sorry for those who have seen this but it's so apt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXIetP5iak

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NIMAN wrote: »

OF course the Gov and authorities cant stop people leaving their homes, but in this time of crisis we need people to have a bit of cop on and stop acting the eejit.
    What they keep saying is that they don't want an extended scenario like this because people will eventually get fed up with it and stop obeying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

josip wrote: »
    I haven't read anywhere that the UK were isolating the over 70s while they were promoting the spread. It seemed to me that they were ok with the inevitable rates.

Asking the over 70s to self isolate has being confirmed by Matt Hancock the UK Health Sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Speaking of messaging they literally called the Queens subjects a herd, which should tell you how they think of the population.
    "Herd immunity" is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

EDit wrote: »
    Tbh, I can’t see how that could be policed. I live on the outskirts of a fairly sizeable Midlands town and in order to prevent people from going for a walk/run, you’d need 100s, if not 1000s of Gards or Army folks, what with all the side roads and country paths. Multiply that up across the country and it’s just unfeasible.

That’s also ignoring the fact that it’s not necessary either. I often go for 10+ km runs in my area and don’t physically pass a single person (in the flesh, as opposed to passing cars)

I think what Italy is starting to show is that once people get very worried they don’t want to go out anyway (even fairly undisciplined people) so the need to police it is limited.

But yeah of course if someone is out in the sticks with the next neighbour living 5 miles away, going for a walk in the field next to their house won’t be endangering anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I watched the earth-cam of Temple Bar street, and inside a pub, last night for maybe 20 minutes. In that time there were hordes of people milling about. A van load of gardai turned up and emptied a lot of people out of at least two pubs, and left a doorman paying a bit more attention on the Temple Bar pub. Subsequently two lots of two and three gardai patrolled the street and tried to disperse people, but they hadn't a clue. Several hen parties - from where? weddings have been cancelled. People can't go to church, events have been cancelled, but these ignorant people are going to get the country closed down completely because they don't have the cop-on to listen to advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

josip wrote: »

No-one is promoting the spread, what sensationalist nonsense. Places have been closing, students sent home. They are delaying a government imposed shutdown until what they see as the optimal timing. No-one really knows enough to say when that is - we may well have gone too early

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

EDit wrote: »
    Tbh, I can’t see how that could be policed. I live on the outskirts of a fairly sizeable Midlands town and in order to prevent people from going for a walk/run, you’d need 100s, if not 1000s of Gards or Army folks, what with all the side roads and country paths. Multiply that up across the country and it’s just unfeasible.

That’s also ignoring the fact that it’s not necessary either. I often go for 10+ km runs in my area and don’t physically pass a single person (in the flesh, as opposed to passing cars)

My cousin is living in Northern Italy.
    She can go for a walk alone or with one other. They’re not allowed to be too close to eachother or holding hands and they’re not allowed to congregate. Same follows if you meet other people on your walk , you’re not supposed to stop for a big chat. Going for a walk is no issue over there as long as it’s alone or with one other and not standing around or sitting on a bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Irish people are too thick for this to actually work. The photos from templebar last night are insane!!

Incidentally, at the start of this I was a ‘its just the flu’ guy.... I’m now quite concerned.

I don't get why people on this thread are saying we're all too dumb to self isolate? What you saw in Templebar was only a tiny tiny minority of people. The vast majority of the Irish population understand precisely how serious the situation is, we're not thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ya, of course common sense and personal responsibility (of which we are severely lacking it seems) will play a huge role. There is a big difference between someone leaving their house and going for a lone run/cycle around a rural setting (where the chances of meeting someone are minimal) and crowds gathering to go on the piss in Temple Bar. The fact that the latter is happening, shouldn't mean that the former needs to stamped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Real pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

9te2zki8pom41.png

Not meaning to cause outrrage or argument or anything but just looking a bit objectively at the figures...it is the people over 50 who die in MUCH greater numbers. Over 50 = 0.5%, over 60 = 3 %, over 70 = 10% and growing after that to very high amounts.
    This is the cohort very much in a higher risk category. That does not mean younger people won't be very sick, it might be so, I do not know.
    There are also the immuno compromised who should be regarded as similar to the over 50's and older cohort.
    Here we have closed schools, going for isolation of the vectors. This does not protect the most vulnerable groups - that depends on people themselves to be protecting the older demographic and the immuno-compromised. That is not dependable.
    In the UK they are talking seriously now of isolating the group with the highest mortality rate. (In weeks, I don't know why...immediately would be the answer.)
    If we restricted movement of the at risk groups and helped them out with food deliveries, shopping, meds etc, plus online connection via face time etc, then the virus would spread through the population that could weather it and it MIGHT build enough immunity so that at risk groups would not be meeting it every time they left their homes in a few months.
    It would mean the economy could continue at least somewhat, and social welfare provision would be more affordable than a complete shutdown.

I don't know. Anyone else think this might work? Thought? I am happy to be contradicted, though it would not be pleasant to be called some sort of a monster (thanks).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    What they keep saying is that they don't want an extended scenario like this because people will eventually get fed up with it and stop obeying it.

Nothing like dead bodies on the street to sharpen the mind. We have seen what happens in China if you ignore it. Even Italy tried to dilute measures. De Virus don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

JMNolan wrote: »
    I don't get why people on this thread are saying we're all too dumb to self isolate? What you saw in Templebar was only a tiny tiny minority of people. The vast majority of the Irish population understand precisely how serious the situation is, we're not thick.

That's all it takes - this whole situation started off with one person in china and it was first imported into ireland by one person.

A tiny tiny percentage of non compliance is all it takes to undo the hard fought efforts of the majority. I can undestand and accept mistakes being made, but willful ignorance is inexcusable..

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Gynoid wrote: »
    9te2zki8pom41.png

Not meaning to cause outrrage or argument or anything but just looking a bit objectively at the figures...it is the people over 50 who die in MUCH greater numbers. Over 50 = 0.5%, over 60 = 3 %, over 70 = 10% and growing after that to very high amounts.
    This is the cohort very much in a higher risk category. That does not mean younger people won't be very sick, it might be so, I do not know.
    There are also the immuno compromised who should be regarded as similar to the over 50's and older cohort.
    Here we have closed schools, going for isolation of the vectors. This does not protect the most vulnerable groups - that depends on people themselves to be protecting the older demographic and the immuno-compromised. That is not dependable.
    In the UK they are talking seriously now of isolating the group with the highest mortality rate. (In weeks, I don't know why...immediately would be the answer.)
    If we restricted movement of the at risk groups and helped them out with food deliveries, shopping, meds etc, plus online connection via face time etc, then the virus would spread through the population that could weather it and it MIGHT build enough immunity so that at risk groups would not be meeting it every time they left their homes in a few months.
    It would mean the economy could continue at least somewhat, and social welfare provision would be more affordable than a complete shutdown.

I don't know. Anyone else think this might work? Thought? I am happy to be contradicted, though it would not be pleasant to be called some sort of a monster (thanks).
    You are thinking rationally, how dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Gynoid wrote: »
    9te2zki8pom41.png

Remember one of the reasons they die in greater numbers because they're not even being treated. The doctors have to pick who gets each ICU bed and younger people get chosen. If the numbers keep rising not all the young people get beds.

Younger people also fight longer, ie they take longer to die. The deaths in younger people will rise.

We need to get the numbers down through a lockdown then probably/possibly move to a controlled version of the UK as phase 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Social media is a curse. It spreads fake news and panic more than anything.

There is already talk of a red shutdown this coming week. It is coming from social media. All it needs is one person to start it, and ironically enough, it spread on SM like a virus!

I have already seen a video supposedly from a guy who was in an emergency meeting with army, guards, Gov, etc and the shutdown starts on Tuesday. May all be false, but this stuff will increase the panic buying today and tomorrow. It will be crazy.

A big shutdown is coming, make no mistake about it. Would it be this week? We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah apparently the HSE and defence forces spilled the beans to a guy working for Europcar while they were renting or leasing vehicles from him. Does anyone not realise how stupid some of the claimed sources are. They told him everything according to his friend. Such utter utter rubbish circulating at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That's all it takes - this whole situation started off with one person in china and it was first imported into ireland by one person.

A tiny tiny percentage of non compliance is all it takes to indo the hard fought efforts of the majority. I can undestand and accept mistakes being made, but willful ignorance is inexcusable..

What you say is irrelevant to the claim that all Irish people are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ya, of course common sense and personal responsibility (of which we are severely lacking it seems) will play a huge role. There is a big difference between someone leaving their house and going for a lone run/cycle around a rural setting (where the chances of meeting someone are minimal) and crowds gathering to go on the piss in Temple Bar. The fact that the latter is happening, shouldn't mean that the former needs to stamped out.

The latter is only happening because it still can. Of course there is an element of whether they care or not, but thats a different argument.

Sometimes harsh rules have to force people to stop doing risky behaviour.

Perhaps the pubs in TB should have limited numbers, or shut down of their own accord already? But hey, I know people have to make a living etc.

They will be shut soon enough, and for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lots of pubs in mayo are now closed with immediate effect. (,source ,connaught telegraph fb page)

One of the pubs here put up a post on FB telling people to go out for a few pints, some of these people need a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Have the UK gov misread the 'Delay Stage' for the 'Denial Stage'??? Seems like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

JMNolan wrote: »
    What you say is irrelevant to the claim that all Irish people are stupid.

In the grand scheme of things at the moment, the children's rhyme sticks and stones comes to mind. There are bigger issues to argue then whether our entire nationality has been libeled on an internet forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement