Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Omackeral wrote: »
    This has triggered me worse than anything else I’ve read or seen in the last few weeks.

I read this yesterday too and have a similar situation. Family members travelled from London for a birthday (essential travel??!) and seemed surprised only 6 people on the plane.

So annoyed at the stupidness and selfishness

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭boetstark

JMNolan wrote: »
    I don't get why people on this thread are saying we're all too dumb to self isolate? What you saw in Templebar was only a tiny tiny minority of people. The vast majority of the Irish population understand precisely how serious the situation is, we're not thick.

Sorry but as I said in previous post not from what I saw in Limerick on Friday and yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What the British government is doing is deliberately going out of its way to kill its people. Here is what scientists actually think

https://www.immunology.org/news/bsi-open-letter-government-sars-cov-2-outbreak-response

Lets not forget the Tories are the ones who cheerleaded the whole "dont listen to Experts" trope during Brexit, the PM is on record saying "feck business" yet you now want us to believe they are the "good guys" following scientific advice?

The EU government enacted a policy deliberately aimed at killing a fraction of its population, yet people here ****ing defend them without any science to back it up.

What are we going to do with the Northerners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

They are ignoring this or that reinfection can't won't occur. The common cold is a coronavirus. Is anyone immune to it?

That long-term herd immunity develops is an just an assumption, yes.

Our assumption is that a vaccine or treatments are developed. Taking your example of the common cold, there’s no guarantee of that either, is there? If we don’t find one, what’s the plan? Lockdown until the end of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭poppers

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That's all it takes - this whole situation started off with one person in china and it was first imported into ireland by one person.

A tiny tiny percentage of non compliance is all it takes to undo the hard fought efforts of the majority. I can undestand and accept mistakes being made, but willful ignorance is inexcusable..
    Theres more than 1 person who imported this. I say over halfvthe cases are people who travelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

One of the pubs here put up a post on FB telling people to go out for a few pints, some of these people need a reality check.

Interesting how different pubs react differently.

Grogan’s in Dublin announced on their Facebook page that they are closing: [url] https://www.facebook.com/groganscastlelounge/photos/a.1066004896785129/2916181428434124/?type=3[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

poppers wrote: »
    Theres more than 1 person who imported this. I say over halfvthe cases are people who travelled

Yes, but some one person had to be first.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Thought this was a lovely thing to do by the Italians

https://twitter.com/SisKathleen/status/1238395121663643648

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scientists disagree in context of British response to COVID-19

https://www.immunology.org/news/bsi-open-letter-government-sars-cov-2-outbreak-response

Ah now you're just being argumentative. "Herd immunity" is a thing, regardless of whether it applies in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

One of the pubs here put up a post on FB telling people to go out for a few pints, some of these people need a reality check.

It is understandable. This could put a lot of the pubs and restaurants in Ireland out of business with the associated massive job losses. It’s hard for them to rationalize stopping doing something which is completely legal and which the government has not even suggested should stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

A lockdown, Why do we have to wait ? Cancelled rugby match yet let supporters into the country , let all greedy people go and return from Cheltheham ,still have airports open ,still have pubs ,nightclubs,restraunts open and Leo showing his great leadershp NOT by travelling to America .
    Its actually so so scary that this is going on .
    One might form an opinion that they want people to die .
    All this should have happened a lot sooner . We saw other countries go through it ,so to say they didnt know, is totally wrong
    My opinion is they were so busy playing their political games that they werent able to put plans in place .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

UK Situation looks grim.

Just been watching Sky News where Chaand Nagpaul, the British Medical Association Council Chair has been speaking and he looks and sounds really worried. Clearly has no confidence in the government and was quite damning.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1239123137213673473
    The Tories have run down the NHS in the last decade which leaves the UK in a position to not be able to support as many people as they should should. They are now being exposed for that. I know they recently said they would invest a lot more money in it, but it's too little too late.

They should have been buying up ventilators weeks or months ago, but they waited because they were being Conservatives, now everyone wants them. They're reactive rather than proactive and have been this whole time, they are well behind the curve and their mismanagement of this situation will cost many lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Gynoid wrote: »
    9te2zki8pom41.png

Not meaning to cause outrrage or argument or anything but just looking a bit objectively at the figures...it is the people over 50 who die in MUCH greater numbers. Over 50 = 0.5%, over 60 = 3 %, over 70 = 10% and growing after that to very high amounts.
    This is the cohort very much in a higher risk category. That does not mean younger people won't be very sick, it might be so, I do not know.
    There are also the immuno compromised who should be regarded as similar to the over 50's and older cohort.
    Here we have closed schools, going for isolation of the vectors. This does not protect the most vulnerable groups - that depends on people themselves to be protecting the older demographic and the immuno-compromised. That is not dependable.
    In the UK they are talking seriously now of isolating the group with the highest mortality rate. (In weeks, I don't know why...immediately would be the answer.)
    If we restricted movement of the at risk groups and helped them out with food deliveries, shopping, meds etc, plus online connection via face time etc, then the virus would spread through the population that could weather it and it MIGHT build enough immunity so that at risk groups would not be meeting it every time they left their homes in a few months.
    It would mean the economy could continue at least somewhat, and social welfare provision would be more affordable than a complete shutdown.

I don't know. Anyone else think this might work? Thought? I am happy to be contradicted, though it would not be pleasant to be called some sort of a monster (thanks).

Unfortunately, death rates are only (a very big) part of picture

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Be great if social media like FB etc. could be shut down for a fortnight or something. Radio and TV the only sources of verified information. I know it can't/won't be done, but honestly this type of stuff is frightening people.

We are preparing for a shut down in our house, but hoping for the best. What will be will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bob24 wrote: »
    Interesting how different pubs react differently.

Grogan’s in Dublin announced on their Facebook page that they are closing: [url] https://www.facebook.com/groganscastlelounge/photos/a.1066004896785129/2916181428434124/?type=3[/url]

Grogans is a class spot.

Does anyone have a list of the ‘bad’ pubs staying open especially late, my local shut up at 11 and had no music on , quite the change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

In the grand scheme of things at the moment, the children's rhyme sticks and stones comes to mind. There are bigger issues to argue then whether our entire nationality has been libeled on an internet forum.

I actually think it does matter. If there is an attitude that we are too stupid to self police then the eventual lockdown will be more authoritarian than necessary whereas if there is the belief that we are a responsible caring society then the lock down can go a lot smoother for people, especially the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

JMNolan wrote: »
    I don't get why people on this thread are saying we're all too dumb to self isolate? What you saw in Templebar was only a tiny tiny minority of people. The vast majority of the Irish population understand precisely how serious the situation is, we're not thick.

Not too sure about that, I reckon lots of pubs in the 4 large cities were packed last night but no videos were taken to show what was happening,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yes, but some one person had to be first.

And look how many got infected from them,
    one person infected Italy look what happened.
    IF One person infected last night in a pub how many today...,..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Remember one of the reasons they die in greater numbers because they're not even being treated. The doctors have to pick who gets each ICU bed and younger people get chosen. If the numbers keep rising not all the young people get beds.

Younger people also fight longer, ie they take longer to die. The deaths in younger people will rise.

We need to get the numbers down through a lockdown then probably/possibly move to a controlled version of the UK as phase 2.

I think (think now not know) that the numbers were the same before surge that has caused over whelming of ICUs in China and Italy - ie much higher death rate over 50, increasing a lot per decade.

If it was found that younger people die in increasing numbers then all that idea is totally out the window of course.

Yes, maybe lockdown first to control immediately, followed by community-supported isolation of older and immuno-compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    My cousin is living in Northern Italy.
    She can go for a walk alone or with one other. They’re not allowed to be too close to eachother or holding hands and they’re not allowed to congregate. Same follows if you meet other people on your walk , you’re not supposed to stop for a big chat. Going for a walk is no issue over there as long as it’s alone or with one other and not standing around or sitting on a bench.

Handmaids tale comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

lawred2 wrote: »
    Herd immunisation isn't a thing without vaccination.

Surely if someone catches it and then recovers, they are “immune”? What a vaccine does artificially?

I’m in two minds about the UK policy. There are 6m asthma sufferers in the uk. Would they all have to isolate too? Presumably so. And their families. So that would add up to 8/9 million I would guess. Another 6m approx are over 70. That’s a quarter of their population having to isolate, and that’s before you count other vulnerable categories which would probably add up to a few more million. That simply won’t work for herd immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I despise FG but I honestly think the government have been on the ball here been very pro active when other countries wernt and I expect more stringent measures in the coming days

They were slow at the start but picked it. Similar to yourself I despise FG but fair play in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They are using something that sounds remotely scientifically plausible (pseudo science) to sell to a gullible population with dreams of past greatness and stiff upper lips a policy that will result in a chunk of the population dying.

It's snake oil wrapped up in plausible sounding science, I posted a link to what real immunologists think of this with regards to COVID-19

You are welcome to offer a factual counter argument.
    As you well know, I was responding to your ridiculous point that they were calling the "queen's subjects" a herd. This kind of important detail gets lost in such a busy thread.

Ah, now where's that ignore button...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

NIMAN wrote: »
    The latter is only happening because it still can. Of course there is an element of whether they care or not, but thats a different argument.

Sometimes harsh rules have to force people to stop doing risky behaviour.

Perhaps the pubs in TB should have limited numbers, or shut down of their own accord already? But hey, I know people have to make a living etc.

They will be shut soon enough, and for long enough.
    I agree that pubs should be shut immediately, and I say that as someone who loves the pub and a few pints. However, if the government are to impose a "lockdown", common sense will also have to apply as the government cannot expect the same measures to be enforced in rural settings as they would be in urban communities. People living in the countryside will use their common sense as go out as they see fit, knowing that will have minimal interaction with others. Tough **** for people living in the cities, there are many advantages to city life, but it seems that won't be the case during this period

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Logged in here to find out what’s happening in Ireland but every post is about UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Pubs very busy again last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was going to ask had they white bonnets on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Be great if social media like FB etc. could be shut down for a fortnight or something. Radio and TV the only sources of verified information. I know it can't/won't be done, but honestly this type of stuff is frightening people.

We are preparing for a shut down in our house, but hoping for the best. What will be will be.

Maybe they need to be frightened if Temple Bar is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Praise be

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nursing home just rang me.
    Complete lockdown from tomorrow on.
    I was the one family member allowed to see her so after tomorrow will I ever get to see her again? Who knows????

What's probably worse is what will be going through her head?
    She's 87 and has Alzheimer's so anytime you explain something she can't grasp it.

She was in great form yesterday when I called to her even though the rest of the family haven't been able to call over the last week or so and she keeps asking why they aren't calling even though they speak to her on the phone.

I walked in yesterday and she put her two fists up to me.
    I says to her "do you reckon you'd take me?
    She goes " shur why wouldn't I" while laughing.

There's fight in the old girl yet.
    I hope she gets through this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement