Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pod6611

Interested in people's perspective on this, want to make sure I am not overreacting.
    My soon to be ex wife is insisting on taking the boys (8, 10 & 11) out to cafes, cinema, shops and driving range yesterday and today. I can't physically stop her given our marital situation however I do feel why put them and indeed me by extension at risk (I have had in the past some health problems). I also feel it is selfish in terms of the broader situation, not playing ones part. We live in the country on 2 acres so there is plenty of room for the kids to run around and let off steam. Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

State will be overwhelmed if everyone has to sign on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Gael23 wrote: »
    Struggling to see the logic behind the UK approach. Seems to be all about protecting the economy

That would be the logic you were struggling to find.

From what I have read online they are using a "Herd Immunity" approach. It may not save as many lives initially but long term people will develop an immunity from the virus.

After that it depends on your disposition. If you hate the UK it is obviously an extremely reckless idea which has the potential to kill thousands if not millions of people. If you have a slightly more objective opinion on your neighbours you might try to even understand why they are doing it and then decide whether or not you think it is a good idea. But they have a plan, what is ours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sign on if work aren't paying them.

Not as simple as just signing on. You will be assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Ironicname wrote: »
    I'd imagine this would be a "headshop closure" type thing where it's pushed through immediately.

:eek: >>Legs it pick up seeds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Syncpolice wrote: »
    That was my query

Will businesses pay staff while off

Depends on the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

There’s probably old legislation on the books from the “troubles” or even back to the civil war, the “emergency” or some such. Anyway, I wouldn’t be pissing off the guards in a national crisis, it wouldn’t go well

The Garda Commissioner has said that gardaí have the power to detain people who refuse to self-isolate and to seal off areas to protect the public from coronavirus.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1120663/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Yea I'm looking for attention. Of course some people know more than others, it's why some of us pay membership fees to national organisations, your obviously not a paid up member or you'd know the source.

You pay membership fees to be kept in the loop on info of national interest? How much do you pay? Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With a large number of people still sick with this virus I wouldn't be taking the under 50 mortality rates as settled.

We know currently in Italy they're the group of patients getting most of the care and I'm sure the younger you are the longer your body will fight it. Could see a spike in the death rate for all brackets under 50 as time goes on.

Please stop the mortality rates in under 50 are consistent. Stay home, don't panic, watch your hygiene and look out for the most vunerable. This can pass quickly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

€3bn will be used up in short order!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Japan went from 800 cases to 1844 cases in 1 day?

No, Japan had it's largest daily total yesterday which was 64. Japan has been announcing about 50 cases daily for the last month so its been building up. Cases in Japan are siginificantly underrepresented, it has the lowest rate of testing in the world per capita other than the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

jester77 wrote: »
    This was Carcavelos this week after the schools were closed

o73ppftkq3m41.jpg

How is it that hot in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

threeball wrote: »
    I won't hold my breath.

Bully for you, well I'm off, enough internet for the day, there's **** to be done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Grow Veg.

Yes, this may seem a flaky, non-contextual endeavour in this current situation but, hear me out.
    I'm a Horticulturalist, and teach Organic Vegetable Production for the GMIT. Unfortunately, we may all soon be told to stay at home for the unforeseeable future which is going to put enormous financial and mental strain on our households. However, this is also an opportunity. We may have young children and teenagers in the house who are going stir-crazy, and we may have a few empty pots lying around, a back garden, a patch of lawn etc which is sitting there, not really contributing to the household.
    Now, by coincidence, this Virus is hitting at just the right time to begin to plant potatoes. It is an excellent opportunity to teach a new skill to your kids or even learn a new skill yourself. Getting your hands dirty in the garden is also extremely beneficial to your mental health.

Seed Potatoes and seed onions are now available in Co-ops, Garden centres and even Hardware stores. They are cheap and are extremely easy to grow.
    You can literally place a line of them on your lawn, heave the sod of grass over on top of them and that's it. They will grow away.

Getting planting early also means you will have your own food ready for harvest at s time when Fresh Veg may be at a shortage.

If anyone would like a FREE booklet on growing your own veg. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Leave the mobile phone on the kitchen table and get out into the garden. Your mind will thank you late. So will the kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Is Catholic mass not cancelled

Seems to be going ahead here

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Japan went from 800 cases to 1844 cases in 1 day?

I'm seriously worried the virus is doing a big come back in the Asian countries. China on the rise for the last three days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

What do people do for money if.work closes?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/99104a-covid-19-coronavirus/

You have asked this question several times. Do not worry too much, there are many of us in the same boat.
    If you scroll down on the link I attached to ''Workers who are laid off temporarily..'' you will see that you can access social welfare if that happens. You can apply online through your mywelfare.ie.

Don't worry, no one is going to starve if there is a general shut down. Mortgages may get a holiday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Everyone won't have to sign on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Is it time that local councils allowed people to park their cars in the city centre street spaces for longer than three hours. Also to reduce the costs of parking?

This would allow people to bring their cars in to the city centre and allow social distancing on public transport.

Many cars are sitting in driveways. Lots of people working from home. Shops closing. Probably restaurants and pubs soon. Why have all these empty parking spaces on streets in the city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Think we need to get a sticky of all the pubs that closed on their own esteem and back them when all this blows over

Yesh, like anyone who uses this forum drink in pubs anyways?

I would imagine the publicans' are shítting bricks altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    That would be the logic you were struggling to find.

From what I have read online they are using a "Herd Immunity" approach. It may not save as many lives initially but long term people will develop an immunity from the virus.

After that it depends on your disposition. If you hate the UK it is obviously an extremely reckless idea which has the potential to kill thousands if not millions of people. If you have a slightly more objective opinion on your neighbours you might try to even understand why they are doing it and then decide whether or not you think it is a good idea. But they have a plan, what is ours?

This is a pretty good explanation of the uk strategy, whether it's right or wrong remains to be seen

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=nl6tTwxzCi8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Japan huge spike in numbers, on the face of it, unless there's a counting reason?

https://old.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/fiudv2/man_has_a_hard_time_reselling_necessities_after/

Hixson man has nearly 18000 bottles of sanitizer he can't sell

Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

How is it that hot in March?

It isn’t, more fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

The Garda Commissioner has said that gardaí have the power to detain people who refuse to self-isolate and to seal off areas to protect the public from coronavirus.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1120663/
    Croatia introduced a law allowing authorities to fine people who do not self-isolate 8000 kuna (1100 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Is Catholic mass not cancelled

Seems to be going ahead here

It was up to every diocese. Churches aren’t closed anyway, what you might see is people going in anyway to say a few prayers and light some candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Bully for you, well I'm off, enough internet for the day, there's **** to be done today.

I got a text last night

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

It's not a story anyway that defence forces have stocked up on more vehicles. I know for a fact the office based gardai have been mobilised from Monday on that's indisputable, I saw my friends roster he was boring me to tears talking about the intracies of it and showing me his phone. But stories like this serve to portray a lockdown as some sort of Armageddon type scenario with armies and helicopters hunting down people breaking curfew. In reality it's closing premises and outlets to stop crowds congregating. It's not like a scene from terminator. It will just look like Xmas day for a while.

It is very eerie. This video from Benidorm on Friday night.
    Last night lanzarote and the rest of Spain closed down. Police patrolling streets last night in Arrecife.

https://twitter.com/privowen/status/1238916943802961920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Travelling over to London to sit at a COBRA meeting, make sure to take your log in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement