Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Will all workplaces be closed down

No. Anyone working in relevant healthcare roles, food production and distribution, sanitation, security, essential energy and communications workers and certain parts of national and local government will still have to work. So even if the order is given for non-essential businesses to close, there will be a lot of people still out there putting themselves at risk to keep the country ticking over for the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Misread as ADULTERERS....wanted details. :D

Imagine how its effecting the swinger's lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

is_that_so wrote: »
    €3bn will be used up in short order!

If a freeze is put on all Bill's, Mortgage, rent everything for 2 months and all people have to do is buy food and survive we can all come out the other end

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Pubs in Galway are closing

U7vtgj7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,050 ✭✭✭endainoz

Sorry if it's been posted here already but an interesting read all the same.

I'm afraid America is screwed:

Coronavirus: Trump's stumbles and testing failures pave way to disaster, experts say

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-us-testing-donald-trump?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

State will be overwhelmed if everyone has to sign on

All non-essential work like staff training units have been cancelled already.

They've set up a big processing area in Letterkenny in case the Illness Benefit office in Dublin has to close.

We're all just on standby waiting for it to happen basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

eldudebros wrote: »
    Well lockdown is grand for people who'll be paid fulltime for hiding in their room eating sh1te sitting on their stack of bog roll.
    Hey, that's my career you're dismissing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

What does lockdown mean exactly?

Your grounded as the Americans would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Lumen wrote: »
    Not seeing that.

2020-03-09 ​​​ 80,754(+0.02%)
    2020-03-10 ​​​ 80,778(+0.03%)
    2020-03-11 ​​​ 80,793(+0.02%)
    2020-03-12 ​​​ 80,813(+0.02%)
    2020-03-13 ​​​ 80,824(+0.01%)
    2020-03-14 ​​​ 80,844(+0.02%)

China reported 8 new cases on Friday, 11 yesterday and 25 today. Small numbers but the trend is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

faceman wrote: »
    I suspect the government will announce mandatory closure of bars and restaurants this week which will likely mean another panic rush on the shops as people stock up on booze. Holy Thursday all over again

I would hope that such an announcement would be coordinated with Army and Gardai on the streets to make sure people don't loose the run of themselves again. I am hanging on to the hope that such preparations are being made now and that what now looks like an unwillingness to make decisions is actually a time buying tactic to reveal a coordinated plan.

I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

iguana wrote: »
    No. Anyone working in relevant healthcare roles, food production and distribution, sanitation, security, essential energy and communications workers and certain parts of national and local government will still have to work. So even if the order is given for non-essential businesses to close, there will be a lot of people still out there putting themselves at risk to keep the country ticking over for the rest of us.

Pharma companies too. Can't stop production or people will start to die from other ailments apart from CV19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

eldudebros wrote: »
    Well lockdown is grand for people who'll be paid fulltime for hiding in their room eating sh1te sitting on their stack of bog roll.

I'd rather work, and be able to get out in the fresh air. I'm already keeping to myself as much as possible. Lock down sounds hellish. Most people seem to be willing it because they don't want to work, rather than worry for people contracting the virus. At least from what I can see.

You'll still go to work unless it's in non essential retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

What does lockdown mean exactly?

Read the last 20 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Went to lidl in Sallins earlier on this morning to get some pastries and oranges for breakfast. I was there at 9.45 (store opens at 9 AM) and there was very few people in the store and shelves were decently stacked. They lacked some items such as canned food and carved meats but toilet paper was there (TG for the ones who think they'll stop it that way), milk and juices also there as well as plenty fruit and veg. I think the irresponsible ones must have their pantries, fridges and sheds full so hopefully normality will be restored. Might go to Tesco later one in Monread (it's one of the biggest in teh country I believe) to see what the situation is there but hopefully reason is prevailing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just a question re flattening the curve - if we succeed like China has do we then go back to normal in a few months?

And is it going back to normal with the intention of going back into lockdown when it spikes again?

Or is there some kind of best case scenario where a country can get this completely under control and go back to normal in a few months?
    The flattening of the curve is primarily for health system management of cases. In time that should be zero and when the transmission rate goes below one the virus should be done. The question of normality is unknown as someone said but you would reasonably expect a return to it once the number of cases hits zero. From what people have posted here and from what's online, infection and recovery seem to be 15-30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

splinter65 wrote: »

The critical flow with that analogy is that he is assuming a lockdown will instantly and completely stop the flow of new patients as soon as you enforce it (like him completely stoping to pour water in the bucket when he says “now is the time to quarantine”).

Whereas in reality with the incubation period that flow of new patients will not only sustain but will even keep growing for the first 2 weeks if the lockdown. So for his analogy to work he should keep pouring more and more water for a good while after saying quarantine, with a lot of water spilling out (ie people dying).

It is actually very likely that UK residents which are currently in their incubation period are already enough to saturate the NHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Reality of the situation has hit alot of people in the last 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

eldudebros wrote:
    Most people seem to be willing it because they don't want to work, rather than worry for people contracting the virus. At least from what I can see.

I'd suggest you get an eye test along with your covid test if that's what you can see.

biggebruv wrote: »
    Iv no fever and no rash I’m generally fine otherwise ffs typical board’s reply

Why the f*ck would you be asking for medical advice on here and then when given an answer you don't agree with give out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

nthclare wrote: »
    A lot of people are worried about the financial impact in this situation because we need money to cover ourselves if we're laid off for a few weeks.

If families are living week to week, and are down to welfare due to no wages and their salaries cover the bills such as energy bills, car insurance, and THE MORTGAGE OR RENT are all down to direct debit.

It would be a disaster, they'd basically have nothing to survive on.

Because some people have barely enough savings as it is.

I think a nationwide pause on mortgage etc and utility bills should come into effect for everyone.

Even over the next so many years we could pay an extra few euros on top of our monthly energy bills just to catch up.

The social welfare are probably working flat out and hr in companies to basically give the welfare people's pps numbers, account numbers and bic numbers.

Someone who's good at IT could set up a template easily enough, pop in the details and at a push of a button sorted.

Its not rocket science.

Its very simple for a complicated time.

Never mind that ****e waiting on the phone for hours waiting to get through answering all these stupid questions , then 6 weeks for the claim to go through.

**** that, this is when the powers that be should show us all how its done and take leadership.

Government all ready have a contingency plan in place for all the above issues.
    When they will be implemented depends on how they update there plan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Leo saying that the no more than 100 people indoors limit to be more strictly enforced. Emergency powers will be used if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

voluntary wrote: »
    China reported 8 new cases on Friday, 11 yesterday and 25 today. Small numbers but the trend is worrying.
    I'd call that flat, if it jumps up to 100+ a day it would be worrying for the rest of us in the management of the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I see a major increase in anxiety and mental health issues will happen . I don’t suffer thankfully from mental health problems but I feel my anxiety increasing . I worry for my family , my neighbours , my friends and for people in nursing homes etc
    I can see this being a huge issue in many homes over time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

190 new cases in Malaysia this morning. Over 35C there right now. Same in tropical parts of the United States, 40 new cases in Florida this morning.Also more than 50 new cases in Australia and 29 new cases and 3 more deaths in the Phillippines. Now looking very unlikely that hot or tropical weather stops the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

wadacrack wrote: »
    Reality of the situation has hit alot of people in the last 24 hours

Hit me on Friday , I have been watching the numbers and spread for weeks everyone thought i was cracked. We were asked to volunteer for redeployment on Friday which I did but it shook me, it all got very real very quick. Have since sat the parents down and made them see how serious it is had to scare sense into them both high risk and just wouldn't take it serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

endainoz wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been posted here already but an interesting read all the same.

I'm afraid America is screwed:

Coronavirus: Trump's stumbles and testing failures pave way to disaster, experts say

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-us-testing-donald-trump?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Large proportion of the population in the US is over 60. They will get ravaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

The word lockdown is a bit sensationalist is it not?
    Can still leave for food /medicine / work
    (Assuming place of work still open)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm afraid America is screwed

Trump's policies in practice:

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1239102590719332354?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'd call that flat, if it jumps up to 100+ a day it would be worrying for the rest of us in the management of the outbreak.

Most of there new cases came from outside china

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement