Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

I went out for a meal last night.

I went to a restaurant with people I live with. The restaurant practiced social distancing with wide spaces between tables.

I was impressed with how the restaurant handled the situation. I had hope that we would be able to have a limited restaurant trade continue through this crisis. Then I got home and saw the **** in temple bar.

Now I fear that new legislation will be passed on Monday and orders issued to close all pubs cafes and restaurants.

Man who went out last night annoyed that others went out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Necro wrote: »
    1. They need to use their annual leave as it stands or other leave such as parental if available. If not, force majeure.

2. Illness Benefit

3. Illness Benefit

4 - That's the biggest unknown right now. Government say to keep paying where possible but if they can't then they would have to sign on

The company I work for have told us that any staff who may need to self isolate, will get their full pay, t&c’s apply.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

No one seems to be mentioning the dangers of grocery shopping itself. How many people especially kids handle stuff and then put them back....bread itself a lot would squeeze it for freshness rather than check the date. Sure a lot of the boxes and wrappers could be contaminated and folk are rushing out to bring this stuff back home..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Any reports of what shops are like today?
    Fine for me, a little busier than a normal Sunday, but well-stocked with the usual exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Prop Joe wrote: »
    the UK have 1 ventilator per 12,000 people id imagine we’d have something similar.So id say approx 500

It appears we might have around 250, but some possible concerns that we mightn't have staff to operate more even if we ordered more.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/medics-raise-concerns-about-staffing-levels-as-hse-stocks-up-on-ventilators-1.4201544

The HSE would not disclose the number of ventilators in the Irish system but said that it had purchased an additional 12 portable ventilators and 60 intensive care unit (ICU) ventilators, though a series of doctors put the number at 250.

“We will run out of appropriate staff to operate the ventilators we have before we run out of ventilators,” said Michael O’Dwyer, head of department of anaesthesia and critical care at St Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I went to a restaurant with people I live with. The restaurant practiced social distancing with wide spaces between tables.

I was impressed with how the restaurant handled the situation. I had hope that we would be able to have a limited restaurant trade continue through this crisis. Then I got home and saw the **** in temple bar.

Now I fear that new legislation will be passed on Monday and orders issued to close all pubs cafes and restaurants.

But isn't it the same wait staff going from table to table? Like how is that not spreading the virus around?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's hard to imagine that we have the discipline to enact what was done in wuhan. Nobody stepping out of line, a system of reward and punishment per community over how long a period they can remain symptom free in their community. Normally I despise that level of overbearing authority but it is absolute genius in the circumstances. We are miles away from thta. And our culture is probably one of the least amenable to authoritarianism. As I say usually that's a very good thing but currently it is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man, I knew the lockdown would be harsh, but if it's true you can't even go for a walk, then thats a massive bummer.

And don't get me wrong, I appreciate why it's being done and will obviously do so. But I figured that even with a lock down, I'd hopefully be able to go for a walk around the estate from an exercise point of view.

I suffer from bad hip pains if I don't go for a regular walk. When i go for a walk, it's on my own, and obviously don't come near anyone. I thought THAT might have been allowed, but I'm guessing a zero tollerance policy is easier to enforce?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

beolight wrote: »
    Adam Tooze (@adam_tooze) Tweeted:
    Germany has c. 25,000 intensive care beds equipped with ventilators.
    France has 5,065 intensive care beds equipped with ventilators.
    Why does Germany have five times more?
    All of a sudden this matters!
    @TobiasBuckFT @davideghiglione
    https://t.co/tpcdcm1uRH https://t.co/0JkkdUN2wK

We need some journalists to ask Minister Harris how many ventilators do we have?
    Looking at that chart Andorra has better facilities than us

Italy has twice the critical care resources of either Ireland or UK. Not inspring from our point of view.

Its going to be tough for the uk to enforce the 4 month isolation for the elderly. Very headstrong group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

kevcos wrote: »
    By extension, looking at that chart would you also infer that Romania has x3 better facilitates and Bulgaria has x2 better facilities than Ireland?

For this particular illness they have yes, this illness attacks the lungs, of those who fall seriously ill from covid19 an awful lot will require a ventilator to keep them alive, numbers of ventilators matter, hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

If the pubs are to close on Monday, you kbow what that means....an apocalyptic amount of pints today.

I presume gardai not doing much checkpointing ATM

Drink drivers tomorrow likely get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

pjohnson wrote: »
    The most American part of your post

Au contraire bon jour! A public display of ignorance by you there PJ. It's a Flann O' Brien reference. Heard of him? Ireland's greatest ever comic writer. Oh well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I really think it puts into perspective all the quotes we hear from the politicians that 'we can't contain this' and 'we'll just have to let it run it's course' sort of thing.

If a country with a population of 1.2 billion people can contain up to a point of <100,000 infections then the rest of the world can too, it needs massive ammounts of resources and cooperation i get that, but it could have be done.
    Taiwan another example of getting on top of it. The difference being the societies involved. More social compliance for a start. Compliance to elders and society is a virtue in Confucian thinking and wherever that's an influence that spills over into wider society and how people tend to operate. While it exists because people, there is less of the I'm alright Jack mentality going on.

Plus by the nature of their governance the authorities hopped on it much more quickly. They don't care about votes and could go to a war footing more quickly. This headed off much of the kinda panic bogroll buying we see in western societies. It also imposed social order over those who would be in denial and/or morons. No drunkards crammed into pubs, nor going off to Cheltenham and the like. That was all stopped dead near overnight. Then the mass mobilisation of frontline medical and other vital personnel.

Again western democracies, while a much better bet in "peacetime" tend to take a wait and see approach until the poo really hits the propeller. Now it's a tragedy for Italy, but seeing the poo hit the propeller there may save other nations because they'll get their finger out. Hopefully...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No one seems to be mentioning the dangers of grocery shopping itself. How many people especially kids handle stuff and then put them back....bread itself a lot would squeeze it for freshness rather than check the date. Sure a lot of the boxes and wrappers could be contaminated and folk are rushing out to bring this stuff back home..
    Easy now. Just wash it when you get it home and your hands. Either toast the bread or put it in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Any reports of what shops are like today?

Went to Lidl yesterday, it was quieter then normal Saturday, but like someone said it depends on location. No issues with stock also.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    But isn't it the same wait staff going from table to table? Like how is that not spreading the virus around?

Mostly optics like most of these things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

How do people see this ending? I just don't see how it completely "dies out"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

For this to be conquered, all of Europe needs to act singularly, together.
    The whole continent needs to lock down in unison for however long it takes to reverse the incline.
    No point us doing it this week, France next week, England in two weeks etc.

A joint lock down all at the same time.

(and that Cheltenham crowd should be treated as lepers were.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

pjohnson wrote: »
    Public transport aswell I assume?

Bus services are being pulled, here in Waterford a private operator with quite important routes has stopped. TFI/Bus Éireann will be the last ones running you'd think.

edit sticky updates here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058061356#

Yep, there needs to be a way to licence premises that can stay open - some have space esp those that have outdoor areas, like GrowHQ locally. Spring will arrive at some point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Auld lad earlier in Tesco Maynooth literally fondling the packs of sausages! Would pick one up and give them an aul squeeze and a rub and put back on shelf.

One woman was getting stuff from back of shelf so had her whole arm up to the armpit sitting on the stuff at the front as she reached back. Selfish yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium and Denmark all approaching 1000 cases now
    Germany now has over 5000 cases
    USA has reached 3000

Roughly 45,000 cases in Europe now, probably at least 100,000 in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I’m starting to wonder if this is how the dinosaurs felt?

At least they stopped going to pubs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

DrunkMonkey unless you're willing to post a source for you claims, don't bother posting them, all you're doing is scaremongering, so stop please.

Italy has twice the critical care resources of either Ireland or UK. Not inspring from our point of view.

Its going to be tough for the uk to enforce the 4 month isolation for the elderly. Very headstrong group of people.
    Italy have about 160 times our number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well it did in Wuhan/China. So it can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Numbers peaking in summer, under control by October, flair up again around Christmas, vaccine by mid 2021 would be my guess but I'm most likely talking out my arse.

Auld lad earlier in Tesco Maynooth literally fondling the packs of sausages! Would pick one up and give them an aul squeeze and a rub and put back on shelf.

One woman was getting stuff from back of shelf so had her whole arm up to the armpit sitting on the stuff at the front as she reached back. Selfish yoke.
    Was she good looking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I live in Donegal and there are many people crossing the border to work here, including nurses at the hospital, they will still have children going to schools in the North.

You still have politics in the North playing a big part in this with Arlene going to follow what ever the rest of the UK does.
    I dare say if Borris decides to start shooting infected people in England, Arlene would want to follow suit because they want to be like the rest of the UK...

I was confused when Arlene criticised the Taoiseach for not consulting her on our measures, despite the fact she has no intention of taking Varadkar's ideas on board and will follow what the rest of the UK does anyway.

I'm convinced her annoyance was more from worry that since she wasn't aware in advance of the Republic's plans she might have accidentally carried out the same plan for NI. This would have given an impression of a united front in Ireland, which is the worst case scenario for the DUP. A higher death rate from the disease would be preferable to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,747 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bus services are being pulled, here in Waterford a private operator with quite important routes has stopped. TFI/Bus Éireann will be the last ones running you'd think.

Yep, there needs to be a way to licence premises that can stay open - some have space esp those that have outdoor areas, like GrowHQ locally. Spring will arrive at some point!

Oh yeah private ones are gone. Bus Eireann will probably reduce inter-city travel aswell but rural services will have to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Feck pubs and restaurants for the next month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement