Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

i'm surprised i haven't read any character attacks on Patrick Vallance the chief medical advisor in the UK.
    He's not a virologist and was President, and R&D at GlaxoSmithKline.

A massively for-profit big pharma company.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd imagine the shutting up shop for more than 4 weeks would be the max the country could sustain. Someone said 16 weeks. There would be mass riots, breakdown in society, banks meltdown, social welfare system . Alot of small business won't be liquid come the 30th March if the restrictions are lifted anyway.
    It would make the 2008 recession look like a bad day at the exchange.

The bigger picture will have to be looked at in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Told my boss I won't be going back in if the pub stays open. At this point I have to think of my parents I'm back living with. He was understanding. Not sure how the owner takes it but if they have a problem they can something where the sun don't shine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Strazdas wrote: »
    I'm also saying a deeply depressed nation would outweigh the impact of even several thousand people dying of a virus. You can only put an entire society on hold for a limited period of time.....people have to be allowed to live (not allowing it would be the equivalent of locking up the nation in a maximum security prison).

This is so important to remember.

Especially for vulnerable groups regarding mental health etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Jin luk wrote: »
    Can we go close the borders with the uk now?really never thought id even imagine it, but f*ck it close the border these brits are gone crazy again.

http://arethebritsatitagain.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Castlebar pubs now closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

niallo27 wrote: »
    Exactly we are completely ****ed if there is no immunity.

Bunch of nutters in the UK government think that's a great plan to infect 60 percent or more of the population and hope the people infected have an immunity afterwards. You experimenting with lives here. UK depostism policy will not work. Only a vaccine will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

In my opinion non essential stuff will be affected for months, schools probably wont return til after the summer I think they'll bring back junior and leaving students to get the exams taken between now and then, people who can work from home will be doing so for the foreseeable, pubs will reopen to some degree but there will need to be strict compliance with social distancing social distancing will become a major part of our lives over the next few months and gradually ease depending on outbreaks, i think there will be waves of lulls and major outbreaks but will be dealt with on localised lock downs once we get to grips with it, all non emergency procedures in hospitals will be kicked down the road this will cause major issues for the health service in the years to come trying to deal with back log and people becoming more seriously ill due to the delay in treatment. Then there's the economy we will be facing one of the toughest recessions in our history. This is only my opinion on how things will pan out but I think it would be a tad optimistic to think things will return to normal in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have a home ventilator that I have never used. I was given it around the time I was diagnosed with cancer to help my breathing but the treatment worked fast so I never needed it. I wonder should I donate it? Would hospital even accept it or do they need to source equipment carefully?

I think you should contact whoever gave it to you and offer to return it.

Failing that your GP might help.

email is probably best because they are all very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

trapp wrote: »
    This is so important to remember.

Especially for vulnerable groups regarding mental health etc.

Yes, there comes a point when the lockdown becomes even more dangerous to society than the actual virus.

I'm fine with a four week total lockdown though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

BluePlanet wrote: »
    i'm surprised i haven't read any character attacks on Patrick Vallance the chief medical advisor in the UK.
    He's not a virologist and was President, and R&D at GlaxoSmithKline.

A massively for-profit big pharma company.

Why would anyone attack him?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

So half of the COVID19 patients in the Netherlands are under the age of 50. Two 16 years olds had to be put in a coma and incubated. Not just the flu, not just an old persons disease.

Don't be listening to these dopes on this thread saying go on about your normal lives.

https://www.ad.nl/dossier-coronavirus/40-a-50-nederlandse-coronapatienten-op-intensive-cares-meer-dan-de-helft-is-onder-de-vijftig~a058aad2/?fbclid=IwAR1t5QPjE7DA9urwlkKNN8IS3zrQIYYYqVWodqI8y7xGj6XF-giwdoaxLHc&referrer=https://t.co/K5o9EWdNag?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

Latest figures before anything announced later:

ROI Cases
    ROI Deaths
    NI Cases
    NI Deaths
    Total Cases
    Total Deaths

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

What happened to UK`s 2pm update today I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Told my boss I won't be going back in if the pub stays open. At this point I have to think of my parents I'm back living with. He was understanding. Not sure how the owner takes it but if they have a problem they can something where the sun don't shine.

Read this as you telling your boss you would not be coming to work as the pubs seems a better option for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the shutting up shop for more than 4 weeks would be the max the country could sustain. Someone said 16 weeks. There would be mass riots, breakdown in society, banks meltdown, social welfare system . Alot of small business won't be liquid come the 30th March if the restrictions are lifted anyway.
    It would make the 2008 recession look like a bad day at the exchange.

The bigger picture will have to be looked at in a few weeks time.

Even with a two week shut down a lot of small business will go to the wall, after a month its anyone’s guess what state the country will be in...
    Social welfare will be in heap for sure ..

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

ricero wrote: »
    Hearing of a lot of activity in the Curragh army base the past few days from a friend who lives in the area.

Same friend that brought you yesterday's big news?
    ricero wrote: »
    Hearing we are due a big announcement tonight between 6 and 7pm.

Reckon we are heading into lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Jin luk wrote: »
    Can we go close the borders with the uk now?really never thought id even imagine it, but f*ck it close the border these brits are gone crazy again.

I hope not , will put a lot of people round here out of work.
    Supplying goods to UK market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

elperello wrote: »
    I think you should contact whoever gave it to you and offer to return it.

Failing that your GP might help.

email is probably best because they are all very busy

Don't email. It'll get missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Bunch of nutters in the UK government think that's a great plan to infect 60 percent or more of the population and hope the people infected have an immunity afterwards. You experimenting with lives here. UK depostism policy will not work. Only a vaccine will help.

I thought someone here said it was the UK population who were poorly educated?

If you can’t get immunity from the body successfully fighting the virus and recovering a vaccine won’t work either! They require the same response from the immune system to work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Can someone list names of underlying illnesses - I couldn't get very much info in Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Should we, as a family of four showing no signs of symptoms continue to get out of the house for an hours walk everyday ? Yesterday it was the pheonix Park, today maybe a beach or st Catherine’s Park.
    Of course we will maintain the social distance protocol whilst outside.
    Just seeking clarification
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Syncpolice wrote: »
    I hope not , will put a lot of people round here out of work.
    Supplying goods to UK market

All non essential travel needs to be stopped. But the economic channels have to remain open. If we don’t have an economy we have so much more pain coming down the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

harr wrote: »
    Even with a two week shut down a lot of small business will go to the wall, after a month its anyone’s guess what state the country will be in...
    Social welfare will be in heap for sure ..
    Hospitality industry has up to 200k and retail nearly 300K.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

After reading about a 75 year old who has just died in Hungary RIP, I'd like to share something with any 20 year olds reading this, a friend of mines mother is 95 this year, she was 75 when you were born, think about that, to you 20 years is a lifetime....
    My father passed at 80 but from the state of his chest this virus would have, without any doubt, taken him at 60, again a lifetime to you, and he did more in that 20 years than ANY of you have done in your 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    It's my opinion. Time will tell. No we won't see the full impact of this in the next 2 years, the economic impact from this will be felt for more than a decade. Neither AIDS or Swineflu had European countries shutting borders and a dramatic reduction in international travel.

I also think the timing of this combined with the background and legacy economic issues from the 2008 crash are going to amplify the effects of this immensely.

Hopefully the overall death's are far below the figures you mentioned above but there is every possibility they will be multiples higher.

We'll probably have a vaccine for this within 18 months.

HIV/AIDS still doesn't even have a cure 40 years on even today. It even took 15 years for any sort of treatment to keep people living longer.

The economic effects will likely be less drastic than the 2008-09 crash, there will be a sharp dip with a likely quicker recovery from what we experienced with the slow never ending recovery from 2008-09.

I know how recency bias works given what I read in the sports forums, every current world cup is best ever (2018 is currently, 2014 was before that), every premier league season is the best ever, people were declaring the current Liverpool side the greatest football team ever only a few weeks back, better than Brazil 1970, Milan 88-95, Barcelona 09-12 etc. Every current sportstar is the best ever, every bond movie is the best ever, people were coming out of the cinema's saying The Force Awakens was better than Empire Strikes Back.

I accept this pandemic has more a drastic effect on sports, travel, globalisation etc than previous pandemics including AIDS.

Again for me it will be interesting to see how this pandemic fares over this summer, because next summer we'll likely be on the way out of this you would hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Should we, as a family of four showing no signs of symptoms continue to get out of the house for an hours walk everyday ? Yesterday it was the pheonix Park, today maybe a beach or st Catherine’s Park.
    Of course we will maintain the social distance protocol whilst outside.
    Just seeking clarification
    Thanks

Of course ye should

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

cnoc wrote: »
    Can someone list names of underlying illnesses - I couldn't get very much info in Google.

What does this even mean

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cnoc wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-covid-19-q-and-a-protect-ourselves-vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

btw, it's game over in Dublin city center at least. The apartments are not made for people to stay inside all day, they are not homes but temporary holding places for landlords to profit from. People must go out daily or else it's like being in a box all day. But the streets are very narrow, compared to many other European cities, so there is no way to avoid creating crowds. Cases are going to spike dramatically very soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement