Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Necro wrote: »
    I absolutely appreciate you are posting in good faith..

BUT

The Taoiseach already issued an announcement advising against gatherings of over 100 people indoors and 500 outdoors.

And people didn't listen and packed the pubs Friday and Saturday.

If the border is shut it will take a huge amount of manpower, more than we have. And will divert a lot of bodies who could better be used helping out in hospitals, as drivers and assisting communities.

It's just not workable.

A physical border might be impossible although put up a few cordons on major intersections just to highlight the situation more than anything.

More important than that; The Irish government needs to make a statement re the border with Northern Ireland in particular and because they are or will not be imposing the same restrictions we are imposing if they stupidly follow the moron Johnson.

We can't just ignore it. So we make a point of asking people in border regions not to travel to Northern Ireland and then we ask the Northern politicians to see some sense and abandon the stupid Brit herd immunity strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

A few weeks ago several thousand people flew into Dublin from European epicentre of the virus. Do you think this posed a risk? It did and probably massively contributed to the spread. If flights from Italy were halted it may have slowed the spread.
    It really seems like some people have an ideological commitment to open borders and this supercedes health, safety, logic and pragmatism.

Of course it posed a risk, but that was a few weeks ago. Things have changed rapidly since then.

There probably should have been restrictions then, but the risk now is the internal spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    Wow, I’m shocked. And I can’t believe Italia ‘90 got 10% of the vote, that was probably the worst ever World Cup. Mexico ‘86 all the way for me. Anyway back on topic.
    Mexico 1970 was magical. England geschlagen in the quarter-finals and Brazil making a carnival of the final.

Only downside of having memories of that wonderful tournament is that it means I'm of an age that will put me low on the priority list for a venilator when they become scarce :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Anyone know the R0 of the virus ?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

paddythere wrote: »
    Staggering difference in cases/death ratio between Germany and Italy

German Health Service isn't overwhelmed yet, Lombardy's is. That's the point that keeps getting missed on this thread - as long as there are ventilators and ICU beds, most severe cases remain alive in the short-medium term at least. Once those resources are at capacity, mortality soars. This is why the 1% figure bandied about is fantasy land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yes wondering why that is. Germany looks to be a week/10 days behind Italy but still mortality rate is far lower in Germany now than in Italy a week ago.

Also strange considering both countries have an elderly population with approx 22% of both countries over 65

Germany has more ICU critical beds and ventilators than any other country in Europe. They have 4 times as many as we have per head of population. At some point though their numbers will rise too as they become overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It’s probably a nebuliser that I have. It’s buried somewhere.

Still might be needed.
    Send off an email with your name and location and if they need it they will get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

What pub is that?

It says its inside the the temple bar pub , now I'm confused ?. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

TheCitizen wrote: »
    A physical border might be impossible although put up a few cordons on major intersections just to highlight the situation more than anything.

More important than that; The Irish government needs to make a statement re the border with Northern Ireland in particular and because they are or will not be imposing the same restrictions we are imposing if they stupidly follow the moron Johnson.

We can't just ignore it. So we make a point of asking people in border regions not to travel to Northern Ireland and then we ask the Northern politicians to see some sense and abandon the stupid Brit herd immunity strategy.

Farmers could close the border at the drop of a hat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Something went badly badly wrong in Italy. I’m convinced it won’t escalate to that extent here. I believe our situation and most of Europe will mimic that of Germany. I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Just announced they are closing but still packed ... ffs.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

The Temple Bar Pub, which I think was the one in the clips shared last night, is closed. Shamed into closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

omerin wrote: »
    To alleviate boredom and to keep people indoors, surely the TV providers and the online subscriptions could provide a full free service for an indefinite period. In addition the broadband providers should top up the speeds to all their subscribers. Most if not all cinemas have closed and film companies have delayed the release of new films, maybe they too could sell those films at a reduced cost worldwide to terrestrial TV to reduce the hit they are taking on it now …. saving millions on their marketing

Here we go. Communism much?
    Nothing in the world is free but problems.
    We got plenty of them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

alastair wrote: »
    There is no health benefit to the farcical suggestion of closing a border that can’t be closed. People flew in with infections before any of those infections were detectable. Virus’s spread from person to person, so they don’t care about border closures - particularly ineffective ones.

Absolute nonsense and extremely dangerous thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes wondering why that is. Germany looks to be a week/10 days behind Italy but still mortality rate is far lower in Germany now than in Italy a week ago.

Also strange considering both countries have an elderly population with approx 22% of both countries over 65

The average age of the german patients is just really young, it simply has not begun circulating within an older crowd. Who knows why, but a similar thing happened in korea, but the reason is known as it was the cult and their contacts who are mostly young. It is the only reason that Germanys death rate is much lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Thats a archive camera. Not live.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

paddythere wrote: »
    Staggering difference in cases/death ratio between Germany and Italy

Germany has a lot more ECMO machines, ventilators and beds per capita and doesn't have a nexus of infections which has overwhelmed the number of ventilators in one particular region. There are many places in southern italy which have free ventilators but it wouldn't be sensible to send sick people from Lombardy down there because that would just spread the infection.

So, it makes perfect sense... Terribly sad though still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think that’s from last night as it’s the same musician that was on the stream last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A little bit of good news. On Facebook:
    Nina Skok Terglav

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157389874344263&set=a.10153615408109263&type=3&theater

I just saw this post and my eyes filled with tears. It is so refreshing and unexpected to read some goodnews, in a world where most of what you read is bad.

A ChinaEasternAirline Airbus A350 arriving from Shanghai landed in Rome this morning carrying a team of 9 doctors experts in Covid19 and much needed supplies including:

1.000 ventilators
    100.000 masks
    20.000 protectivegear
    50.000 testkits

These wonderful people who barely survived and fended the horrible epidemic in their country, flew thousands of miles to jump straight into another storm.

Thank you wholeheartedly China! A beautiful gesture of humanity and solidarity.

And let’s hope that this will not only defeat the Covid19, but racism and xenophobia too.

rdwight wrote: »
    The Temple Bar Pub, which I think was the one in the clips shared last night, is closed. Shamed into closing.

The feed is meant to be live no ? And the website states its that pub and it looks daylight out on the feed, i dunno unless its from yesterday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I don't think that's live. There's one there for 22 mins ago and the place is in darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Absolute nonsense and extremely dangerous thinking.

Yeaaah, you’re wrong, and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The fu*kwit British government are backpedaling fast on their lunatic ideas about 'Herd Immunity' and infecting 60% of the population.

Matt Hancock, their Secretary of State for Health, is doing the rounds of the chat shows this morning, to deny that 'Herd Immunity' was part of their strategy. However the damage may already have been done, because it will take one to two weeks for the effects of their criminal stupidity to be seen.

That Sir Idiot Vallance, their chief government scientist, and whoever else came up with this crazy notion have a lot to answer for.

Watch out for the Crufts and Cheltenham spikes of infected people next week.

The BIG problem is that Ireland has also been severely damaged by their monumental pompous ineptitude.

The words British government, pissup, brewery and organize come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭shawki

Just clicked on it and saw two old lads shake hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,581 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

rdwight wrote: »

Last nights was the auld dubliner

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thats a archive camera. Not live.

Well that solves that , thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

spookwoman wrote: »

What are Denmark doing?
    Numbers seem to have peaked 5 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm hearing three explanations

1. Germany has a lot more ICU beds with ventilators and just aren't getting overwhelmed. Many of italy's deaths are excess deaths due to not being able to treat.

2. Germany are classifying cv deaths as being not cv deaths. Ie someone comes in with cv, they get a secondary strep infection and pneomia then the recorded cause of death is the strep infection.

3. The Germans have done more testing than the Italians. The Italians are only identifying severe cases that get to the hospital and their close family and friends so are underestimating the number of cases by a massive amount.

I wish I knew why the German mortality was so low compared to the Italian one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Just back from Dunnes and Aldi. It's actually a nice time to go shopping now. Much less packed than during the panic buying days.
    It's quiet and the shelves are stocked. Plenty of pasta, rice, meat and loo roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If there are mass layoffs, there will be civil unrest very quickly. Where is the money to live going to come from for 500,000 people perhaps or more? RP9 forms will not cut it for mass layoffs at one time. Yes there is a national emergency but people need clear leadership and a plan, a plan at least to factor in some of the variables at play.

It's been reported here so many times that there is contingency plans in place.
    For mass layoffs mortgages bills etc
    Civil unrest, talk about scaremongering.
    At a very worse case rationing will be interduced for food and goods ECT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

It’s archived cam, not a live cam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement