Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Anyone know the R0 of the virus ?

Between 2-3 if I remember correctly reading last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭omerin

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Or read a bloody book :pac: the sense of entitlement.

Entitlement was going to the pub, this is for families with kids who get board easily with books, games and walking to the park. Desperate times call for desperate measures, let's use this tech to reduce the impact.

As a gamer myself, would be nice to see the Steam, Origin, et al to open up a free subscription model and the Apple and Play Store offering something similar to apps aim at kids.

Nothing wrong with reading a book, but it is not the be all and end all and kids are more tech focused. A lot of people will be let go and will struggle to pay for essentials let alone subs to these providers. These actions would create a great deal of good will, let's see

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Giving a blast of REM maybe It's the end of the...........
    Thats what I'd be doing, with a smile of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Went for a walk around Phoenix park earlier and there was loads of people about.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we're already at the stage where going for walks need to be restricted?

Seems that way judging by Pseudonym121's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm hearing three explanations

1. Germany has a lot more ICU beds with ventilators and just aren't getting overwhelmed. Many of italy's deaths are excess deaths due to not being able to treat.

2. Germany are classifying cv deaths as being not cv deaths. Ie someone comes in with cv, they get a secondary strep infection and pneomia then the recorded cause of death is the strep infection.

3. The Germans have done more testing than the Italians. The Italians are only identifying severe cases that get to the hospital and their close family and friends so are underestimating the number of cases by a massive amount.

I wish I knew why the German mortality was so low compared to the Italian one.

Hopefully it's No.3 and not the other two.

I suspect that as desperate as the situation in Italy that in reality there are probably 10 times (at least) more cases than the number confirmed which in turn means the mortality rate will be in reality be a lot lower.

I hope anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What pub is that?
    The Temple Bar, but I'm almost certain that's a feed from a few days ago.
    d51984 wrote: »
    Ive just temporally deleted my Facebook account before I start getting in to trouble for exploding off on certain clowns.

Its nice to have this thread and to see so many people talking sense and taking this as serious as we should.

We will get by this Ireland, there will be deaths, there will be tears, but by god we will get by.
    I admonished on a certain well-known publican in my locality on Facebook this morning because they were the only one keeping their pubs open, but they've since decided to close. I'm seeing the same level of denial from friends of mine though, I don't know how they're not getting this situation yet (schools closed, countries blocking flights?). There are a lot of people on Twitter still raging about sports being cancelled. That's one casualty of this that bothers me only very slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anyone know the R0 of the virus ?
    Between 2 & 3 I believe.

EDIT:here's one source

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32097725

What pub is that?

They are closed. That's a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    It says its inside the the temple bar pub , now I'm confused ?. :confused:

I looked at Temple Bar Pub's facebook page earlier. They had post saying they were closed.

Their outdoor webcam showed doors closed. I was suprised how many tourists were taking photos of themselves outside closed pub.

Indoor webcam showed session going on. I assume they've left the clips from last night up rather than show empty pub.

Either that or they're having a massive lock-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

muchness threadage!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This , Pharmacies are under huge pressure right now and all terrified I might add. Mine is doing a two in two out system they have to try protect themselves while still looking after the community. Be nice to them everyone they are doing their best.
    Read an article where some pharmacies have had to ban customers due to the abuse they dished out to staff.

What numpties.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What are Denmark doing?
    Numbers seem to have peaked 5 days ago.

Only counting severe cases now, if I had to guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toneygecko

Just an idea, if the eurovision gets cancelled RTÉ should replay one of the eurovisions that we won. Might boost the old spirits a bit maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Knex. wrote: »
    Went for a walk around Phoenix park earlier and there was loads of people about.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we're already at the stage where going for walks need to be restricted?

Seems that way judging by Pseudonym121's post.

Unless you were up to no good in the bushes, you’ll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

rdwight wrote: »
    Mexico 1970 was magical. England geschlagen in the quarter-finals and Brazil making a carnival of the final.

Only downside of having memories of that wonderful tournament is that it means I'm of an age that will put me low on the priority list for a venilator when they become scarce :)

Rossi and Brazil 82

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

fits wrote: »
    Which part. Sister’s friend is anaesthetist in UK. Many ICU patients are younger. This is not an older persons illness.

That the median death age is 57. It's more like 80.

gnarbarian wrote: »
    Just watching the live cam at Templebar, the punters dont know what to do with themselves once they realise the place is shut down.. Good enough, the eejits ruined it for everyone last night, it was such a piss take.

About time though, plonkers running the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

fits wrote: »
    Which part. Sister’s friend is anaesthetist in UK. Many ICU patients are younger. This is not an older persons illness.

Everyone can get it. It is only that young people tend to be in better condition to fight it which is questionable as if you eat crap not excercise and your idea of spending free time is a pub then you will not fare any better than older person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Outside of here in friends or family, anyone else finding that the people that seem to be suffering from normalcy bias, not changing habits and consider it nothing more than a flu get quite aggressive when you point out the facts and mechanics of the virus?

Also most of them seem to think it will be gone in a few weeks.

It's just an observation from me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Face Masks:

[F] A lot of conflicting things have been said about face masks. The bottom line is that most of the face masks people are purchasing aren’t of any use and even if they were members of the public don’t know how to use them appropriately in order to gain effective protection.
    The other problem with all of the above that while even surgical masks will offer some protection and lower the risk of infection(particularly from those already infected if they're wearing one), a thick scarf wrapped around your face would be about as effective. If not more so as the seal is better against your face. The N95 Oval Type is not much better. I have a link somewhere of a large scale study of infection risks comparing surgical versus oval types and the difference was tiny. Yes they "filters down to 99%", but it's again down to fit and seal around the face. It's no use if the mask itself can filter 99% if there are air gaps around your chin, nose and cheeks. They're filtering nothing. Put it another way; what kind of masks do the military have in case of biological/aerosol/nuclear attack? It's not paper masks that's for sure. As you note the other major problem is they're essentially one use and into the bin. Not good for any long term protection.

This type, or the half face type are far more effective and short of positive standalone air supply pressure masks about as good as can be had.

s-l1000.jpg

They're also reusable and can be wiped down with alcohol and other disinfectants. The particle filters themselves don't have a time to failure as such, not unless someone is operating in an extremely dusty environment for a while, even then the filters are replaceable and cheap. The disadvantages are they're hard to breath in and are uncomfortable for long periods of time. When filtration is actually that efficient that's par for the course. They're also more expensive, though being not disposable that would work out better long term.

There are a load of different companies that produce them. The last time I bought one(don't ask) I got it for under 20 quid. No doubt price gouging will be in play now, but the chances are such masks are more off the bogroll panic buyers idiot radar and they're supplied through industrial and hardware outlets rather than pharmacies. I'm just thinking that if someone like yourself or anyone is going to be working on the medical frontlines of this crisis it might be a plan to buy them personally through a hardware place until the health bodies kick into gear?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The amount of panicking over this virus (understandable).

Makes me wonder if we ever get a pandemic with a virus that has a 100% mortality rate and spreads as easily as coronavirus does, doesn't discriminate on age.

Scientists struggle to produce a vaccine.

The chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

spookwoman wrote: »

Hi, where are you getting this data and how far does it go back? I'd be interested to have access to such data.

Edit: Just realised it's a google sheets link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Outside of here in friends or family, anyone else finding that the people that seem to be suffering from normalcy bias, not changing habits and consider it nothing more than a flu get quite aggressive when you point out the facts and mechanics of the virus?

Also most of them seem to think it will be gone in a few weeks.
    Yep and that includes many of my friends.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

omerin wrote: »
    Entitlement was going to the pub, this is for families with kids who get board easily with books, games and walking to the park. Desperate times call for desperate measures, let's use this tech to reduce the impact.

As a gamer myself, would be nice to see the Steam, Origin, et al to open up a free subscription model and the Apple and Play Store offering something similar to apps aim at kids.

Nothing wrong with reading a book, but it is not the be all and end all and kids are more tech focused. A lot of people will be let go and will struggle to pay for essentials let alone subs to these providers. These actions would create a great deal of good will, let's see

Good outside the box thinking.
    Don't mind the knockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Tordelback wrote: »
    German Health Service isn't overwhelmed yet, Lombardy's is. That's the point that keeps getting missed on this thread - as long as there are ventilators and ICU beds, most severe cases remain alive in the short-medium term at least. Once those resources are at capacity, mortality soars. This is why the 1% figure bandied about is fantasy land.

Or maybe there was a huge number of older people infected in italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

toneygecko wrote: »
    Just an idea, if the eurovision gets cancelled RTÉ should replay one of the eurovisions that we won. Might boost the old spirits a bit maybe.

Only if they promise not to show any new Eurovisions when this is all over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

wakka12 wrote: »
    The average age of the german patients is just really young, it simply has not begun circulating within an older crowd. Who knows why, but a similar thing happened in korea, but the reason is known as it was the cult and their contacts who are mostly young. It is the only reason that Germanys death rate is much lower

Maybe mature Germans arent as social as Italians?

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Just announced they are closing but still packed ... ffs.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

That's not live , that's the same stream that was playing yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

xtal191 wrote: »

Fecking hell

This is probably what awaits us in the next two or three weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement