Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Something went badly badly wrong in Italy. I’m convinced it won’t escalate to that extent here. I believe our situation and most of Europe will mimic that of Germany. I

Yep it did, tens of thousands of cases were allowed to grow unchecked for weeks on end, just like the rest of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

What are Denmark doing?
    Numbers seem to have peaked 5 days ago.

Only testing serious cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

alastair wrote: »
    Yeaaah, you’re wrong, and you know it.

Yes I'm wrong, and so are Poland, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Slovakia, Norway, the US, Paraguay, etc etc
    But you're right Alastair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

niallo27 wrote: »
    Or maybe there was a huge number of older people infected in italy.

It's spreading through the pasta in italy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

toneygecko wrote: »
    Just an idea, if the eurovision gets cancelled RTÉ should replay one of the eurovisions that we won. Might boost the old spirits a bit maybe.

Was going to have a Eurovision party. 🥳
    Gonna cancel it now.

Why me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm hearing three explanations

1. Germany has a lot more ICU beds with ventilators and just aren't getting overwhelmed. Many of italy's deaths are excess deaths due to not being able to treat.

2. Germany are classifying cv deaths as being not cv deaths. Ie someone comes in with cv, they get a secondary strep infection and pneomia then the recorded cause of death is the strep infection.

3. The Germans have done more testing than the Italians. The Italians are only identifying severe cases that get to the hospital and their close family and friends so are underestimating the number of cases by a massive amount.

I wish I knew why the German mortality was so low compared to the Italian one.

You just answered that question with point 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Knex. wrote: »
    Went for a walk around Phoenix park earlier and there was loads of people about.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we're already at the stage where going for walks need to be restricted?

Seems that way judging by Pseudonym121's post.

Going for walks of course should not be restricted. In the open air you are not just going to pick something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

dan786 wrote: »
    Woohoo..

Temple Bar publicans have announced a complete shutdown of all bars and nightclubs with immediate effect.

It will mean no bars open in the area for St Patrick's Day and the closure could last for weeks.

The shutdown will not apply to hotels as they have guests while individual restaurants may be able to distance their customers from one another.

Interesting in regard to hotels. I'm living in Limerick city. Hoping to go to Castletroy Park Hotel for a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    The feed is meant to be live no ? And the website states its that pub and it looks daylight out on the feed, i dunno unless its from yesterday :confused:

Why would anyone even go to a pub that has a live webcam streaming their drunken shenanigans around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

The amount of panicking over this virus (understandable).

Makes me wonder if we ever get a pandemic with a virus that has a 100% mortality rate and spreads as easily as coronavirus does, doesn't discriminate on age.

Scientists struggle to produce a vaccine.

The chaos.

Closest thing to that was smallpox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

But the two are not mutually exclusive.

How are things going to be if you are alive but you have no money left for food because all the employers had to shut down and could not employ or pay anyone.

Or if this no food available because all the suppliers/producers were out of business and could not supply/produce anything.

People think it's a binary choice, it's not, businesses have to keep going to keep people alive, the economy has to continue to function.

Great post and better put than I ever could have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Here's a suggestion.

If you have booked a hotel reservation but decided to cancel, ask the hotel to convert the cost you were due to pay into a gift voucher for a future stay. This would be one way of helping hotels in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    It says its inside the the temple bar pub , now I'm confused ?. :confused:

Complete arseholes.
    Or incredibly stupid.

Probably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Why would anyone even go to a pub that has a live webcam streaming their drunken shenanigans around the world?

That's exactly why they might go there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

BarryD2 wrote: »
    True, maybe the 'containment phase' lingo was all bollix - and what the HSE etc were really at was trying to control the inevitable spread of the virus?

That's exactly what containment means :

Containment phase: Steps introduced to prevent the virus from spreading for as long as possible, such as detecting early cases and trying to establish who the infected person has been in contact with.

From the HSE escalation definitions. It's not bollix, it was always their stated aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Going for walks of course should not be restricted. In the open air you are not just going to pick something up.

I went for a run earlier. Was like a Sunday outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Was going to have a Eurovision party. 🥳
    Gonna cancel it now.

Why me?

What's another year?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

This is a very disturbing tweet by Philip Boucher Hayes. It's a worrying reminder no one is immune here. A Dr on RTE radio this morning briefly discussed WHO stats until she was rudely cut off. One interesting point she made was that the median age of death is 57 years old. That means half of deaths occur above this age and half below.
    That's worrying for everyone. If you're in your 20s and out in pubs, thats your parents you're very likely putting at risk, not just your grandparents, it's also you, albeit at less risk.

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1238904532039589889

Was actually listening to her this morning, she came across as someone who hadn’t a clue, and was in the age bracket at risk, I got the sense she was upset about people saying it would only be fatal to people of a certain age.

She also forgot to mention any underlying issues with those who were younger. Could take everything she said with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yes I'm wrong, and so are Poland, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Slovakia, Norway, the US, Paraguay, etc etc
    But you're right Alastair.

As I said - it’s merely a broad brushstroke action to discourage travel. Which is a good measure. But it really doesn’t support your nonsense of ‘shutting the NI border down’. You might as well throw up a cordon around Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Akrasia wrote: »

That's what I wondered myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,855 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A long list of pubs, clubs and shops closing has been published for the Dundalk/Louth area. I can't find any on line for Monaghan but I suspect many will be following the example,

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/local-businesses-shut-up-shop-to-prevent-spread-of-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Makes me wonder if we ever get a pandemic with a virus that has a 100% mortality rate and spreads as easily as coronavirus does, doesn't discriminate on age.

Scientists struggle to produce a vaccine.

The chaos.

Well, that would be the end of the world, as detailed in a near-infinite number of SF novels and many movies, which have done the speculatin' for you.

The current horror show is quite bad enough to warrant panic, but as a species we've been through worse pandemics - it's just never been on social media and 24 hour news ebfore. Sometimes it's better not to be able to see what's coming for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Was going to have a Eurovision party. ��
    Gonna cancel it now.

Why me?

You can do it again next March... What's another year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

It's going to be a lot more worse than it is now. People just not taking it seriously. Observed small town in Co.Cork - playground full of kids and adults. Everybody enjoying extra holidays. Because parade is canceled - most of the pubs advertising live music to attract more people......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

cnocbui wrote: »
    You just answered that question with point 2.

Most likely correct but I'm hoping it's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Went for a walk around Phoenix park earlier and there was loads of people about.

Now I'm starting to wonder if we're already at the stage where going for walks need to be restricted?

Seems that way judging by Pseudonym121's post.

Well, walks are very low risk but after running the figures for this about 3 weeks ago now I'm very much in the "We need to do EVERYTHING we can to stop spread" camp.

Plus, I think most of my Consultant colleagues and I seem to be taking the view that we not only need to keep ourselves safe for ourselves but also for our patients. There's only 1300 of us employed in the HSE. We need to be there when we're needed --- hence no walks or anything else risky. I don't think walks and exercise need to be banned but I certainly wouldn't be doing them outside. The indoor treadmill or garden is where its at ;-)

Hell, I have a Consultant colleague and friend who is out on fairly long-term sick leave with a very serious issue who is accelerating his return to work so he can be back by the end of the month. He's literally sprinting towards the fire instead of away from it. It makes me proud of the front line staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

paul71 wrote: »
    Closest thing to that was smallpox.

I would say the Black Death was a closer fit. 70% mortality rate in many places. An ebola style hemorrhagic fever, that had a 14 day incubation period with asymptomatic or mild symptom infectiousness, would likely replicate the black death, and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Only counting severe cases now, if I had to guess.

Aye...case numbers alone probably aren't that useful now. Particularly as some countries are only testing people with severe symptoms, and given that for the vast majority this will be like a cold to varying degrees of severity we will never know the true number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wibbs wrote: »
    The other problem with all of the above that while even surgical masks will offer some protection and lower the risk of infection(particularly from those already infected if they're wearing one), a thick scarf wrapped around your face would be about as effective. If not more so as the seal is better against your face. The N95 Oval Type is not much better. I have a link somewhere of a large scale study of infection risks comparing surgical versus oval types and the difference was tiny. Yes they "filters down to 99%", but it's again down to fit and seal around the face. It's no use if the mask itself can filter 99% if there are air gaps around your chin, nose and cheeks. They're filtering nothing. Put it another way; what kind of masks do the military have in case of biological/aerosol/nuclear attack? It's not paper masks that's for sure. As you note the other major problem is they're essentially one use and into the bin. Not good for any long term protection.

This type, or the half face type are far more effective and short of positive standalone air supply pressure masks about as good as can be had.

181178517738-0-1000.jpg

They're also reusable and can be wiped down with alcohol and other disinfectants. The particle filters themselves don't have a time to failure as such, not unless someone is operating in an extremely dusty environment for a while, even then the filters are replaceable and cheap. The disadvantages are they're hard to breath in and are uncomfortable for long periods of time. When filtration is actually that efficient that's par for the course. They're also more expensive, though being not disposable that would work out better long term.

There are a load of different companies that produce them. The last time I bought one(don't ask) I got it for under 20 quid. No doubt price gouging will be in play now, but the chances are such masks are more off the bogroll panic buyers idiot radar and they're supplied through industrial and hardware outlets rather than pharmacies. I'm just thinking that if someone like yourself or anyone is going to be working on the medical frontlines of this crisis it might be a plan to buy them personally through a hardware place until the health bodies kick into gear?

You wouldnt be long getting used to them though. Ive been using one (same but without eye shield)whilst kangooing the concrete floor.. They seem a bit restrictive at the start but you ll be greatful you did use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Only counting severe cases now, if I had to guess.

No theyre just not testing anybody..for some reason
    3800 in total as of today, almost 1/4 of which have been positive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement