Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

edit_me wrote: »
    It's going to be a lot more worse than it is now. People just not taking it seriously. Observed small town in Co.Cork - playground full of kids and adults. Everybody enjoying extra holidays. Because parade is canceled - most of the pubs advertising live music to attract more people......

Pubs will all be closed before paddys

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Re your essay posts.

You should post these elsewhere (reddit?) also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bilston wrote: »
    Fecking hell

This is probably what awaits us in the next two or three weeks.

Not necessarily. If people exercise more caution coupled with whatever draconian measures the government introduce today/tomorrow, we can avoid scenarios like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would say the Black Death was a closer fit. 70% mortality rate in many places. An ebola style hemorrhagic fever, that had a 14 day incubation period with asymptomatic or mild symptom infectiousness, would likely replicate the black death, and then some.

Forgotten that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Will there be a DOH briefing this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

Does anyone know if you have a blocked nose, sneezing could this be Covid 19 or is it more likely just a cold. Don’t want to be ringing up wasting peoples time looking for a test when I suspect a cold but I have this 4 days now. I take paracetamol to help but I don’t have a temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

How long in the sunlight/UV would it take to sterilise say a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

I'm hearing three explanations

1. Germany has a lot more ICU beds with ventilators and just aren't getting overwhelmed. Many of italy's deaths are excess deaths due to not being able to treat.

2. Germany are classifying cv deaths as being not cv deaths. Ie someone comes in with cv, they get a secondary strep infection and pneomia then the recorded cause of death is the strep infection.

3. The Germans have done more testing than the Italians. The Italians are only identifying severe cases that get to the hospital and their close family and friends so are underestimating the number of cases by a massive amount.

I wish I knew why the German mortality was so low compared to the Italian one.

It is probably a mix of a lot of things but the testing one seems a good explanation. Every Tom, Dick and Harry going on holidays to Italy was seeming to catch the virus in the last few weeks and then bringing it back to their home country. But the official figures in Italy were in the low thousands. This would seem to suggest that the virus was much more widespread than officially reported but was not being caught by testing. Perhaps Germany is a better indication of true mortality rate (though you will have to give it more time to be sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ger Roe wrote: »
    You can do it again next March... What's another year?

Oh god, I might collapse.
    Hold me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Can we expect another update tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Becks610 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have a blocked nose, sneezing could this be Covid 19 or is it more likely just a cold. Don’t want to be ringing up wasting peoples time looking for a test when I suspect a cold but I have this 4 days now. I take paracetamol to help but I don’t have a temp.

It's just a cold, if you get a fever contact your GP for advise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Becks610 wrote: »

People will still have ordinary stuffed noses and tickly throats - golden rule appears to be that if you don't have a fever or feel lethargic, then you don't have coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would say the Black Death was a closer fit. 70% mortality rate in many places. An ebola style hemorrhagic fever, that had a 14 day incubation period with asymptomatic or mild symptom infectiousness, would likely replicate the black death, and then some.

And there was another similarity. The silk road from China to Northern Italy, then to the rest of Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

faceman wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If people exercise more caution coupled with whatever draconian measures the government introduce today/tomorrow, we can avoid scenarios like that

We're you the guy with a friend in America? How are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Only know if it's a big number tonight if a press conference is called.

If not it's probably single figures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

alastair wrote: »
    As I said - it’s merely a broad brushstroke action to discourage travel. Which is a good measure. But it really doesn’t support your nonsense of ‘shutting the NI border down’. You might as well throw up a cordon around Cork.

I was talking about international travel coming in to Ireland from affected areas, no realistic possibility of closing the border with NI it would have to be done between NI and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Will there be a DOH briefing this evening?

Not due AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not quite sure of days behind china italy is but if you put them side by side the states of new cases very similar.
    week 1 would be patient 0 17/11/2019
    bgWMexG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Happy4all wrote: »
    Can we expect another update tonight?

Same time as last night, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Oh god, I might collapse.
    Hold me now!

Don't panic dear, take your mind off it by thinking of all kinds of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ZX7R wrote: »
    It's been reported here so many times that there is contingency plans in place.
    For mass layoffs mortgages bills etc
    Civil unrest, talk about scaremongering.
    At a very worse case rationing will be interduced for food and goods ECT

I think a lot of people would like to hear these contingency plans, myself included.

The current govt line is : claim SW, talk to the bank, and *utter silence*

The fact is claiming SW will be a significant income drop for many people, only 'some' banks are expressing willingness to 'talk' - and then it's to go interest only and screw your credit rating, I haven't seen a word about bills.

Now, I'm in favour of a lockdown but I could manage to pay mortgage, bills etc for 2 months from my available resources even without SW after that things get sticky. I am bloody lucky to be in that position.

If the gov announced measures such as those taken in Italy re:mortgages, bills etc that would take a hell of a lot of pressure and worry off people's shoulders. But they aren't doing that. They are Paschal Donohoe on the radio this morning telling us the banks are 'aware', SW are getting 'ready', and everyone is 'talking' to everyone else.

That doesn't sound like a contingency plan to me.
    People need reassurance - not waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Trump is trying to buy a vaccine from a German company for use by the USA only. He is a cartoon villain come to life.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Wibbs wrote: »
    The other problem with all of the above that while even surgical masks will offer some protection and lower the risk of infection(particularly from those already infected if they're wearing one), a thick scarf wrapped around your face would be about as effective. If not more so as the seal is better against your face. The N95 Oval Type is not much better. I have a link somewhere of a large scale study of infection risks comparing surgical versus oval types and the difference was tiny. Yes they "filters down to 99%", but it's again down to fit and seal around the face. It's no use if the mask itself can filter 99% if there are air gaps around your chin, nose and cheeks. They're filtering nothing. Put it another way; what kind of masks do the military have in case of biological/aerosol/nuclear attack? It's not paper masks that's for sure. As you note the other major problem is they're essentially one use and into the bin. Not good for any long term protection.

This type, or the half face type are far more effective and short of positive standalone air supply pressure masks about as good as can be had.

s-l1000.jpg

They're also reusable and can be wiped down with alcohol and other disinfectants. The particle filters themselves don't have a time to failure as such, not unless someone is operating in an extremely dusty environment for a while, even then the filters are replaceable and cheap. The disadvantages are they're hard to breath in and are uncomfortable for long periods of time. When filtration is actually that efficient that's par for the course. They're also more expensive, though being not disposable that would work out better long term.

There are a load of different companies that produce them. The last time I bought one(don't ask) I got it for under 20 quid. No doubt price gouging will be in play now, but the chances are such masks are more off the bogroll panic buyers idiot radar and they're supplied through industrial and hardware outlets rather than pharmacies. I'm just thinking that if someone like yourself or anyone is going to be working on the medical frontlines of this crisis it might be a plan to buy them personally through a hardware place until the health bodies kick into gear?

Aye, good points. As part of my preparatory pack for this two weeks ago I already have one each of the half-mask type for myself, parents, siblings and family in addition to ordinary face masks with replaceable filters. I'm leaving surgical masks for work and only sourced things which wouldn't interfere with sourcing within the HSE.

I got one with non-replaceable filters because I figured there would be problems sourcing replacements and also because I don't trust myself to replace the filters properly. Best to just have a one-piece solution which works for up to 28 days ( roughly ) than be faffing around with replacement filters, F something up and then be unprotected entirely.

I would caution people against using alcohol to disinfect their face masks or filters. Alcohol ( even in spray form ) can degrade the filters.

As to the study of performance... Pretty much everything I've seen is that surgical masks and properly fitted N95 masks perform pretty much the same for the general populace. Unfortunately because most people don't fit them properly that "same" performance is generally abysmal.

Anyways, hopefully the post and videos I linked to will help people derive some benefit from their outlay.

If there's interest I plan to go into N95 vs N99 filters and the pros and cons.
    TLDR: Go for the N95 because in the real world they'll work better than the theoretically superior N99.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a Consultant colleague and friend who is out on fairly long-term sick leave with a very serious issue who is accelerating his return to work so he can be back by the end of the month. He's literally sprinting towards the fire instead of away from it. It makes me proud of the front line staff.

I think after all this is over, you will all rightly get the credit deserved.

Around the world in the past we have seen the firemen praised, the police, the military .......at last the health workers will be the heroes they always were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

Syncpolice wrote: »
    It's spreading through the pasta in italy

pass da sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dutch schools now closing and UK deaths currently up to 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I think a lot of people would like to hear these contingency plans, myself included.

The current govt line is : claim SW, talk to the bank, and *utter silence*

The fact is claiming SW will be a significant income drop for many people, only 'some' banks are expressing willingness to 'talk' - and then it's to go interest only and screw your credit rating, I haven't seen a word about bills.

Now, I'm in favour of a lockdown but I could manage to pay mortgage, bills etc for 2 months from my available resources even without SW after that things get sticky. I am bloody lucky to be in that position.

If the gov announced measures such as those taken in Italy re:mortgages, bills etc that would take a hell of a lot of pressure and worry off people's shoulders. But they aren't doing that. They are Paschal Donohoe on the radio this morning telling us the banks are 'aware', SW are getting 'ready', and everyone is 'talking' to everyone else.

That doesn't sound like a contingency plan to me.
    People need reassurance - not waffle.
    After four years of waffling - they just don't know how to DO anything effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Big jump in deaths in the UK since yesterday, up to 35 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A long list of pubs, clubs and shops closing has been published for the Dundalk/Louth area. I can't find any on line for Monaghan but I suspect many will be following the example,

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/local-businesses-shut-up-shop-to-prevent-spread-of-covid-19/

Hope there be a list for pubs closing in Limerick city. Any not closing, I'll personally call in to see what's the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

p
    paul71 wrote: »
    Closest thing to that was smallpox.
    Rabies is pretty awful too if you don't get immediate treatment, there's a 100% mortality rate. Takes weeks or months for symptoms to develop
    9 people die from rabies every minute from this disease.

We're lucky that it transmits by saliva entering the blood stream so it's not easy to spread amongst humans, but if a virus ever developed with those characteristics that spread the same way that this virus is spreading, then we would be absolutely screwed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement