Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

14 new deaths in the UK, up to 35 now

'Herd Immunity'

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

You should post these elsewhere (reddit?) also.

If you have ideas please let me know... I'm ONLY interested in getting the word out so people have useful information to help protect themselves.

I'm don't have twitter, I don't think I've posted on facebook in over five years etc etc. I only joined here in February because I wanted to ask questions about solar panels because I was hoping to buy a house in September and wanted to be as green as possible.

So, if you have ideas about posting elsewhere I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Just watching Sky Sports News there, they're promoting a Rugby League match just about to start in front of a full stadium.

Are they on a different planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cnocbui wrote: »
    I would say the Black Death was a closer fit. 70% mortality rate in many places. An ebola style hemorrhagic fever, that had a 14 day incubation period with asymptomatic or mild symptom infectiousness, would likely replicate the black death, and then some.
    The long incubation would be the "killer app" for such a pathogen. Covid is a good example. In both MERS and SARS, while more deadly people became obviously unwell and weren't nearly as infectious before symptoms kicked in, so containment was much simpler. This virus has a much longer period of being asymptomatic and infectious.
    You wouldnt be long getting used to them though. Ive been using one (same but without eye shield)whilst kangooing the concrete floor.. They seem a bit restrictive at the start but you ll be greatful you did use them.
    Yeah I have the half face one with PP3 filters. I found it fine if not moving about much, but I'd not be jogging with one. :D I remember reading a US military report into military personnel wearing gas masks and they found a major drop off in combat effectiveness and it was mostly down to the restricted breathing and that would be for young very fit men in their early twenties for the most part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

alastair wrote: »
    Yeaaah, you’re wrong, and you know it.

Why are the Germans closing their borders if it makes no difference? Are you saying you know more about this than they do? You sound like you agree with the stupid Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Think we need to be hearing from government daily

Clear from this thread there's a lot of uncertainty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Don't panic dear, take your mind off it by thinking of all kinds of everything.

There’s no need to panic in your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well, walks are very low risk but after running the figures for this about 3 weeks ago now I'm very much in the "We need to do EVERYTHING we can to stop spread" camp.

Plus, I think most of my Consultant colleagues and I seem to be taking the view that we not only need to keep ourselves safe for ourselves but also for our patients. There's only 1300 of us employed in the HSE. We need to be there when we're needed --- hence no walks or anything else risky. I don't think walks and exercise need to be banned but I certainly wouldn't be doing them outside. The indoor treadmill or garden is where its at ;-)

Hell, I have a Consultant colleague and friend who is out on fairly long-term sick leave with a very serious issue who is accelerating his return to work so he can be back by the end of the month. He's literally sprinting towards the fire instead of away from it. It makes me proud of the front line staff.

My thanks to you and your colleagues.

I am fortunate to live outside an urban area and have taken to increasing my level of fitness by increasing exercise with long hill walks, as I understand that is likely beneficial for the immune system. The scenery helps.

Snow-Lough-Derg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is it not daily regardless of numbers?

Up until now, they didn't operate a press conference at the weekends, they just released numbers. If they have something important to say, they will go the whole hog of a conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

masterK wrote: »
    Just watching Sky Sports News there, they're promoting a Rugby League match just about to start in front of a full stadium.

Are they on a different planet?
    Think both codes of rugby in UK were going ahead this weekend but will then shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Becks610 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have a blocked nose, sneezing could this be Covid 19 or is it more likely just a cold. Don’t want to be ringing up wasting peoples time looking for a test when I suspect a cold but I have this 4 days now. I take paracetamol to help but I don’t have a temp.

In the same boat, not sure how to handle this also. I'm thinking of contacting the GP in the morning anyway to get advise, just want to be sure it's nothing more sinister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The fu*kwit British government are backpedaling fast on their lunatic ideas about 'Herd Immunity' and infecting 60% of the population.

Matt Hancock, their Secretary of State for Health, is doing the rounds of the chat shows this morning, to deny that 'Herd Immunity' was part of their strategy. However the damage may already have been done, because it will take one to two weeks for the effects of their criminal stupidity to be seen.

That Sir Idiot Vallance, their chief government scientist, and whoever else came up with this crazy notion have a lot to answer for.

Watch out for the Crufts and Cheltenham spikes of infected people next week.

The BIG problem is that Ireland has also been severely damaged by their monumental pompous ineptitude.

The words British government, pissup, brewery and organize come to mind.

Have a lie down, you must be tired after that rant. Wait till you see our temporary government deal with things next week. There'll be space in that brewery believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

If you have ideas please let me know... I'm ONLY interested in getting the word out so people have useful information to help protect themselves.

I'm don't have twitter, I don't think I've posted on facebook in over five years etc etc. I only joined here in February because I wanted to ask questions about solar panels because I was hoping to buy a house in September and wanted to be as green as possible.

So, if you have ideas about posting elsewhere I'm all ears.

Pseudonym what is your impression of the UK strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

UK UPDATE:

There have been 1,372 confirmed infections, a rise of 232 in a day.

The number of people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK has risen by 14 - the largest increase in a 24-hour period.

There are now a total of 35 fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There’s no need to panic in your eyes?

Not unless you are in the airport and are travelling through Terminal Three.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Big jump in deaths in the UK since yesterday, up to 35 now.

Sadly that's only getting started. 14 deaths a day will look like a lovely relief a month from now in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

spookwoman wrote: »

The growth in the UK seems stable though,
    Compared to other biggest countries in Europe Spain France Italy Germany where growth seems to be accelerating daily

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I was talking about international travel coming in to Ireland from affected areas, no realistic possibility of closing the border with NI it would have to be done between NI and the UK

All areas are effected. The only useful measure that can be applied at this stage is to limit person to person infection - which makes travel involving close proximity the issue - not anyone’s nationality. The genie has already left the bottle. Self isolation is the only useful measure, not national isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

dan786 wrote: »
    UK UPDATE:

There have been 1,372 confirmed infections, a rise of 232 in a day.

The number of people who have died after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK has risen by 14 - the largest increase in a 24-hour period.

There are now a total of 35 fatalities.

I'm seeing online that they have stopped community testing in the UK and are now only testing those in hospital presenting with symptoms. Does anyone know if this is true?

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    My thanks to you and your colleagues.

I am fortunate to live outside an urban area and have taken to increasing my level of fitness by increasing exercise with long hill walks, as I understand that is likely beneficial for the immune system. The scenery helps.

Snow-Lough-Derg.jpg

That's lovely, seems very peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Big jump in deaths in the UK since yesterday, up to 35 now.

Wait til Wednesday. They'll have 35 a day. Pure lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

St Patrick is currently walking round Temple Bar driving the virus out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

paddythere wrote: »
    Staggering difference in cases/death ratio between Germany and Italy

I think Italy have had the virus months, even as far back as last November/December, they just never knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

threeball wrote: »
    Wait til Wednesday. They'll have 35 a day. Pure lunacy.

If only they’d closed the schools! Derpppp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why are the Germans closing their borders if it makes no difference? Are you saying you know more about this than they do? You sound like you agree with the stupid Brits.

Once again - it’s a measure to discourage travel. But it’s no more effective than discouraging domestic travel. The virus is already in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Trump is trying to buy a vaccine from a German company for use by the USA only. He is a cartoon villain come to life.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Fake news.

Seriously sometimes people need to step back and just double-check the claim they are perpetuating. Are you implying that Trump wants to purchase the vaccine for US only and will charge an extortionate rate to every other country?

Not only is he not that inhumane, he isn't dumb enough to actually go ahead with something that would so obviously vilify him in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The amount of panicking over this virus (understandable).

Makes me wonder if we ever get a pandemic with a virus that has a 100% mortality rate and spreads as easily as coronavirus does, doesn't discriminate on age.

Scientists struggle to produce a vaccine.

The chaos.

It happened after the First World War. Although it wasn't a 100% mortality rate, there was a very severe flu pandemic that killed more people than the war did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

fritzelly wrote: »
    St Patrick is currently walking round Temple Bar driving the virus out

Walking or driving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

TheCitizen wrote: »

I have a feeling that if people are not getting medical attention in there own country. They will cross the border into Germany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement