Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What are Denmark doing?
    Numbers seem to have peaked 5 days ago.
    Only testing severe cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Trump is trying to buy a vaccine from a German company for use by the USA only. He is a cartoon villain come to life.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
    He’s a businessman looking for a supply for his customers, wouldn’t be such a bad thing if he succeeded as it would mean immediate trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

wakka12 wrote: »
    The growth in the UK seems stable though,
    Compared to other biggest countries in Europe Spain France Italy Germany where growth seems to be accelerating daily

The U.K. is about a week behind France and Germany and almost 2 weeks behind Germany. Numbers in those countries was similar to the U.K. at this stage (though deaths in Italy were higher - likely related to low testing rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

fritzelly wrote: »
    St Patrick is currently walking round Temple Bar driving the virus morons out

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Well, walks are very low risk but after running the figures for this about 3 weeks ago now I'm very much in the "We need to do EVERYTHING we can to stop spread" camp.

Plus, I think most of my Consultant colleagues and I seem to be taking the view that we not only need to keep ourselves safe for ourselves but also for our patients. There's only 1300 of us employed in the HSE. We need to be there when we're needed --- hence no walks or anything else risky. I don't think walks and exercise need to be banned but I certainly wouldn't be doing them outside. The indoor treadmill or garden is where its at ;-)

Hell, I have a Consultant colleague and friend who is out on fairly long-term sick leave with a very serious issue who is accelerating his return to work so he can be back by the end of the month. He's literally sprinting towards the fire instead of away from it. It makes me proud of the front line staff.

Just wondering about this. What about hiking where there will be no one else? I live v rurally and on most walks I don't meet anyone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Fake news it's shut

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think after all this is over, you will all rightly get the credit deserved.

Around the world in the past we have seen the firemen praised, the police, the military .......at last the health workers will be the heroes they always were.
    I've always found the phrase "Thank you for your Service" used by civilians greeting military personnel in the US a bit irritating for no particular reason. But it's certainly appropriate for the front line medical people here during this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Pseudonym what is your impression of the UK strategy.

I am planning to do a writeup of that if Boards allows me a thread to keep my answers together so they can be found easily...

But in the meantime I can say this. Their strategy seems to be based on the idea that once they get 60% infected they'll have herd immunity and if they can get to 60% in a controlled fashion they can stop their ventilator resources being overwhelmed and keep the death rate down to 2% instead of closing in on the 10% it would be without ventilators.

I think that theoretically it could work so long as you are willing to accept high casualties ( 60 Million x 60% infected x 2% mortality = 720,000 ) of up to three quarters of a million dead.

If we didn't have the examples of Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Shanghai to look at I think the British population might tolerate their plan BUT with those examples of the impact of rigid lockdowns and massive contact tracing leading to very low infection rates and death rates I don't think the British plan is actually sustainable.

I believe that individual groupings within British society will act unilaterally and close themselves and I think fear as the death rate rises will cause people to self-isolate such that they don't get the 60% infected rate they are looking for before October --- when they expect a much larger wave of illness will sweep the world.

So, I think it might work in a laboratory and on paper but I don't give it much chance in the real world. It doesn't take into account the human factor.

I think Ireland needs to get a lot stricter than it currently is but already our national strategy for tackling this is MUCH better than the UK's. I think we are going to come out of this a lot better than them --- which is sad because people or people and saying that means more people dying in the UK than should. Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

alastair wrote: »
    The genie has already left the bottle. Self isolation is the only useful measure, not national isolation.

Both are required. The first one reduces propagation within the country and the second one prevents imported cases. You can’t ask your population to make significant efforts and at the same time let people enter the country unchecked and from areas whereby the situation might be out of control.

All the countries which have managed to flatten the curve are Asian ones which reacted quickly and combined both containment inside the country and bans/restrictions for incoming travellers.

China which is in the front row to understand this crisis understands this: now that they have stabilised the situation the are forcing a 14 days supervised quarantine at your own cost on anyone coming from abroad. I think it is a good compromise at if someone really needs to go they can, but it is done in a safe way and the measure will discourage most people and ensure only essential travel goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

On a scale of 1 to 10 how much better are we handling it than the UK?

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Just announced they are closing but still packed ... ffs.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

That's not a live video, go to the outside street view the door is fecking shut

Stop with the fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Walking or driving?

Come on, this is not the time to be worrying about St Patrick's carbon footprint. More pressing matters abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

wakka12 wrote: »
    The growth in the UK seems stable though,
    Compared to other biggest countries in Europe Spain France Italy Germany where growth seems to be accelerating daily

UK is about a week behind France and Germany and 2 weeks behind Italy though. Also questionable how much testing they are doing.

Acceleration in Italy has slowed in recent days. Was 25% growth per day, fell to 18% two days ago but did rise back to 20% yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

alastair wrote: »
    Once again - it’s a measure to discourage travel. But it’s no more effective than discouraging domestic travel. The virus is already in the community.

Exactly so use it as a measure to discourage travel. Why are you arguing against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Just wondering about this. What about hiking where there will be no one else? I live v rurally and on most walks I don't meet anyone..

Well, if you don't see anyone and don't touch anything someone else might have touched and infected then you're pretty safe.

I don't live in such a rural idyll so, for me, going out involves bumping into lots of people, hence my different choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

nocoverart wrote: »

We can answer that question in about 6 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am planning to do a writeup of that if Boards allows me a thread to keep my answers together so they can be found easily...

But in the meantime I can say this. Their strategy seems to be based on the idea that once they get 60% infected they'll have herd immunity and if they can get to 60% in a controlled fashion they can stop their ventilator resources being overwhelmed and keep the death rate down to 2% instead of closing in on the 10% it would be without ventilators.

I think that theoretically it could work so long as you are willing to accept high casualties ( 60 Million x 60% infected x 2% mortality = 720,000 ) of up to three quarters of a million dead.

If we didn't have the examples of Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Shanghai to look at I think the British population might tolerate their plan BUT with those examples of the impact of rigid lockdowns and massive contact tracing leading to very low infection rates and death rates I don't think the British plan is actually sustainable.

I believe that individual groupings within British society will act unilaterally and close themselves and I think fear as the death rate rises will cause people to self-isolate such that they don't get the 60% infected rate they are looking for before October --- when they expect a much larger wave of illness will sweep the world.

So, I think it might work in a laboratory and on paper but I don't give it much chance in the real world. It doesn't take into account the human factor.

Is it expected that the virus, or a mutated form of it will re emerge this Autumn/Winter?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Spook_ie wrote: »
    That's not a live video, go to the outside street view the door is fecking shut

Stop with the fake news

So is it on a loop then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Fake news.

Seriously sometimes people need to step back and just double-check the claim they are perpetuating. Are you implying that Trump wants to purchase the vaccine for US only and will charge an extortionate rate to every other country?

Not only is he not that inhumane, he isn't dumb enough to actually go ahead with something that would so obviously vilify him in the media.

I am not certain its fake news, it is been pretty widely commented on in German Media. I'll defer my opinion until I hear more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

If only they’d closed the schools! Derpppp

Way more than schools. Live tv shows with audiences, marathons, sports events, the list goes on. Plus they have far more tourist traffic than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Fake news it's shut

I was talking about the busker outside earlier

Fake post. You were late to the busker party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And rather old too, it's nothing to do with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alright

I was surprised today when I went for a drive. I went expecting a ghost town but I was very wrong. Driving along the Clontarf seafront and onto Causeway Road the place was as full as any good summers day. Ireland has been asked to practice social distancing but as of yesterday the country was also given slightly contradictory messages that we can continue to spend time outdoors, by yourself or with your kids - walking or playing in open spaces are both safe as long as respectful social distancing and hand hygiene are maintained.

I think the photo attached shows that people are not respecting any real type of social distancing. No shock to this forum. I know the picture shows cars but I didn't want to go taking photos of randomers out walking. I expect the country will have to be locked down soon to slow the infection rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Useful source of comparative data on worldwide COVID-19 cases, including rough growth rates and bar charts. Oxford University Data Lab.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

paul71 wrote: »
    I am not certain its fake news, it is been pretty widely commented on in German Media. I'll defer my opinion until I hear more.

You've obviously never listened to trump speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

As far as UK response goes, France tried the herd immunity thing initially last couple of weeks. They are now moving toward Chinese and Italian models.

Give the UK a week and everything will begin to shut down there too.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    The feed is meant to be live no ? And the website states its that pub and it looks daylight out on the feed, i dunno unless its from yesterday :confused:

It's not live

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

nocoverart wrote: »

The stupidity of the Brit response is off the scale. We probably need to do more and we're adapting as we go along, comparing to the stupid Brits isn't helpful at all. The Chinese have shown the way. The stupid Brit approach is moronic and should be vilified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

C’est la vie. Life goes on.

Not for a lot of people it wont, hope for your sake they are not anybody you care for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement