Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

nocoverart wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to 10 how much better are we handling it than the UK?

Long term the UK will be worse, and thats by design as the UK wants to give immunity to 60% of its population.

Their actions in terms of banning public gatherings also are slower so eventually their numbers will be similar to France/Germany who have acted quicker than them.

The UK's economy might be better off though, thats the top Tory priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Haven't had time to read back at the minute, but something occurs to me.

Regarding the UK approach and ours, politics should NEVER come in to it now. Shut up SF, shut up Arlene, do what is best for YOUR community and for us here down South.

But am getting a tiny feeling that Arlene is not for turning against UK policy on this.

Calm, cool, rational, and empathetic heads are needed now from the Assembly. We are an Island Nation. I get it that the Unionists want to follow Britain, but there comes a time when the good of all has to prevail..... This is not political, and it could be life saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

nthclare wrote: »
    So is it on a loop then?

Yep, that bloke has been sitting on the stool strumming his guitar for years.
    He was there every time I looked at that camera, even before all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Switzerland +842 cases, 1 new death today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fritzelly wrote: »
    St Patrick is currently walking round Temple Bar driving the virus out

Modern day St Patrick clearing it out in 2020 BMW 5 series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is Ireland working on a Vaccine ? I thought we had the best of the best biopharmaceutical companies in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Pseudonym121

Thanks for posting. I have a few questions you may be able to answer:

Dr. John Campbell said Vitamin D could help stop the virus getting into your lungs. What is your view on that?

There have been reports that chloroquine is being used to treat and remdesivir on a compassionate basis. Do we have access to these drugs?

When will we see peak in Ireland?

I know we got our first official case on March 1. When do you think it arrived here?

TIA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Drove from Corofin in Clare, Lahinch is jointed, Fanore is thronged with people.
    Ballyvaughan has loads of cars parked outside monks... Usually monks are in solitude but it looks like there's a gregorian gathering there.
    Village in Ballyvaughan is quite enough, think ill turn off before Kinvara lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The fascination with bashing the UK over COVID-19 on this thread is eye opening. All anti Brexit posters too no doubt, there has to be a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

But the two are not mutually exclusive.

How are things going to be if you are alive but you have no money left for food because all the employers had to shut down and could not employ or pay anyone.

Or if this no food available because all the suppliers/producers were out of business and could not supply/produce anything.

People think it's a binary choice, it's not, businesses have to keep going to keep people alive, the economy has to continue to function.

I tried to articulate this many times during the week and made a mess of it, sounded like I was playing down the virus and got dismantled by other posters.

What you have said is exactly what can’t be ignored and is on a par with the virus effects.

What I tried to articulate was that the economy is exactly what has increased our life expectancy and increased quality of life for the vulnerable.

Excellent post though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

paul71 wrote: »
    And there was another similarity. The silk road from China to Northern Italy, then to the rest of Europe.
    And rat rhymes with bat... OMG :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

2 mini marathons going ahead today in the UK in Liverpool and Bath, with 6,000 and 12,000 participants respectively. What are they thinking?
    Is it that in the rush to reassure people that it’s actually bred complacency in those without underlying health conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

ZX7R wrote: »
    We can answer that question in about 6 months time

In terms of the infection rate, we're actually worse, it's the eventual death rate that will be most telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Murple wrote: »
    2 mini marathons going ahead today in the UK in Liverpool and Bath, with 6,000 and 12,000 participants respectively. What are they thinking?
    Is it that in the rush to reassure people that it’s actually bred complacency in those without underlying health conditions?

And the Manchester st Patrick’s day parade 🀦*♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Mr.S wrote: »
    Not doubting you, but when you are posting updates can you please include the source?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Note - some are not totals for the day because a lot of countries give results through the day.

Germany, France and Spain full figures finished around 8 pm our time.

Switzerland, like Ireland only gives results once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Well, if you don't see anyone and don't touch anything someone else might have touched and infected then you're pretty safe.

I don't live in such a rural idyll so, for me, going out involves bumping into lots of people, hence my different choice.

Thanks. When you say don't touch anything - we'd often collect fallen twigs and branches - how could virus get on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Switzerland +842 cases, 1 new death today.

Daily nearly quadruple. Obviously new tests methods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The stupidity of the Brit response is off the scale. We probably need to do more and we're adapting as we go along, comparing to the stupid Brits isn't helpful at all. The Chinese have shown the way. The stupid Brit approach is moronic and should be vilified.

Wait till your queuing at the dole office in a week or two with a couple hundred thousand colleagues. Your love for our 'government' will diminish greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

threeball wrote: »
    You've obviously never listened to trump speak.

Of course I have, I am aware of how primitive he is. However this only came out hours ago, even by his standards it would be extraordinary. I will wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Alright wrote: »
    I was surprised today when I went for a drive. I went expecting a ghost town but I was very wrong. Driving along the Clontarf seafront and onto Causeway Road the place was as full as any good summers day. Ireland has been asked to practice social distancing but as of yesterday the country was also given slightly contradictory messages that we can continue to spend time outdoors, by yourself or with your kids - walking or playing in open spaces are both safe as long as respectful social distancing and hand hygiene are maintained.

I think the photo attached shows that people are not respecting any real type of social distancing. No shock to this forum. I know the picture shows cars but I didn't want to go taking photos of randomers out walking. I expect the country will have to be locked down soon to slow the infection rate.

You can’t blame people , everyone is trying to get fresh air and they don’t know that so is everyone else . We went for a drive up the Dublin mountains today and it was jam packed . We didn’t even get out of the car as there were too many walking . But we were also there so we can’t be cross with others who had the same thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The fascination with bashing the UK over COVID-19 on this thread is eye opening. All anti Brexit posters too no doubt, there has to be a link.

You have a fascination with posting the same **** all morning.

And yes the UK stance is moronic. They'll come to their senses yet.

Just trying to be seen to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Is it true France has only had +30 new cases today??

Germany added 827, looks odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

NSFW, but I don’t imagine many are in work right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Temple Bar pubs and clubs closed now. Thank God for that

France has not reported it's cases yet.

German states report through the day until roughly 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Haven't had time to read back at the minute, but something occurs to me.

Regarding the UK approach and ours, politics should NEVER come in to it now. Shut up SF, shut up Arlene, do what is best for YOUR community and for us here down South.

But am getting a tiny feeling that Arlene is not for turning against UK policy on this.

Calm, cool, rational, and empathetic heads are needed now from the Assembly. We are an Island Nation. I get it that the Unionists want to follow Britain, but there comes a time when the good of all has to prevail..... This is not political, and it could be life saving.
    Think they're caught in a vice in the North, London will not provide funding for countering impact of any measures take that are not in line with current government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Someone mentioned earlier that France are only reporting severe/critical new cases from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is Ireland working on a Vaccine ? I thought we had the best of the best biopharmaceutical companies in the world?

We are more pharmaceutical than bio in this country and even at that we are more production than R&D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Becks610 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have a blocked nose, sneezing could this be Covid 19 or is it more likely just a cold. Don’t want to be ringing up wasting peoples time looking for a test when I suspect a cold but I have this 4 days now. I take paracetamol to help but I don’t have a temp.

Self isolate and goto bed with a hot toddie and paracetamol, if it worsens then worry about getting tested

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement