Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Most of my weekends were always boring. I now have an excuse to stay away from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Does anyone on here have it yet? Be interesting to get a first hand experience of symptoms etc. Like, my hypochondria kicked in since a coworker coughed in the office last week. My chest feels like I just burst out of a burning building and I have a headache that won’t go away. Definitely dying of hypochondria if not Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Just announced they are closing but still packed ... ffs.

https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub

That's old footage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Well straightaway, having a balanced rational debate over the pros and cons is unlikely since the 'stupid' Brits as you put it, are wrong in your eyes every which way they go. I'm saying there isn't a complete right way or wrong way of fighting this. But it has to be fought somehow. We're looking at economic ruin or at best, recession, in a few months, that's very likely. Lives matter, above all else, but getting the country back running also needs to be planned for.

They are wrong. Their approach to this is utter stupidity and extremely dangerous. Are you actually disagreeing with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Lads and Ladies.

Ventilators. How hard can they be to manufacture in big numbers. Why isn't global production of these ramped up to thousands daily?

Anyone have any insight into these ?
    problem isnt having them, if one is put onto ventilator think chances are like 20-30 % at best of any sort recovery, since ventilators act only to provide some oxygen, but if body keeps shutting down its just buying empty time for those really, as current treatments seem hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Syncpolice wrote: »
    This could be the undoing of BJ if it goes pear shaped

Which it looks like doing over the next.month or so

I think he will just change course next week and at the end of the day the U.K. will be the same as other European countries: containment but starting too late. No better but no worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

There are many places in southern italy which have free ventilators but it wouldn't be sensible to send sick people from Lombardy down there because that would just spread the infection.

Patients from Bergamo in Northern Italy have been transferred to Tuscany and even Puglia and Sicily (by military plane) to be treated in ICUs there.
    https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/03/15/news/coronavirus-pazienti-da-bergamo-al-sud-con-un-volo-militare-1.38593783

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

In terms of the infection rate, we're actually worse, it's the eventual death rate that will be most telling.

That is mainly down to population
    I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hell, I have a Consultant colleague and friend who is out on fairly long-term sick leave with a very serious issue who is accelerating his return to work so he can be back by the end of the month. He's literally sprinting towards the fire instead of away from it. It makes me proud of the front line staff.

We're the same in the defence forces, each and every one of my comrades are chomping at the bit to help out.

I'm on standby from 08:00 tomorrow morning to assist the HSE, I've been told I might be essential to my unit so I've volunteered my after work hours unpaid.

My brother is an AP with the NAS, he's suppose to be off over this weekend and tomorrow but he's stayed on to bring the fight to the virus.

Whether you're frontline medical, military,An Garda or civilian this is a fight where every man, woman and child can do their bit. There's no one useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I was talking about the busker outside earlier

Fake post. You were late to the busker party.

So you can now use yourself as a prime example of fake news and posting a feed saying live music when there wasn't anymore.

Choose your wordings more carefully you can see how many were thinking you were referring to the trad music session

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Great to see, only interested in lining their pockets at the expense of the health and wellbeing of the population...

shower of self-interested cnuts in general.

(vintners)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does anyone on here have it yet? Be interesting to get a first hand experience of symptoms etc. Like, my hypochondria kicked in since a coworker coughed in the office last week. My chest feels like I just burst out of a burning building and I have a headache that won’t go away. Definitely dying of hypochondria if not Coronavirus

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0315/1123371-patient/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/sabisky-row-dominic-cummings-criticised-over-designer-babies-post
    Strumms wrote: »
    Great to see, only interested in lining their pockets at the expense of the health and wellbeing of the population...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The US has supposedly added 151 today according to worldometers.

But I've noticed the US gets multiple changes throughout the day on worldometers, do they update on a state by state basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The US has supposedly added 151 today according to worldometers.

But I've noticed the US gets multiple changes throughout the day on worldometers, do they update on a state by state basis?

Every state seems to release their own numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Wanted to go for a pint but most the pubs in Galway are closed bar McGettigans which is packed with alcoholics cus they have nowhere else to go.

A certain pub in Woodquay said their were closed but they just have a fella on the door with curtains closed letting alchos in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Italy's tourism industry recovering anywhere close to the time it will recover in Ireland.

I can imagine that, when Italy recovers, they will ban entries from Countries in which the virus will stiil be circulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The UK is asleep at the wheel. I work for a large UK union and they’re insisting on sending us to work in Heathrow regularly; one of my colleagues is already in isolation with a dry cough and shallow breathing. We’re in deep sh*t here I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

scamalert wrote: »
    problem isnt having them, if one is put onto ventilator think chances are like 20-30 % at best of any sort recovery, since ventilators act only to provide some oxygen, but if body keeps shutting down its just buying empty time for those really, as current treatments seem hit and miss.

That’s also the man power issue.

I think I read that an ICU isn’t just the bed itself, but the ability to have doctors and nurses who are properly qualified to tend to the patient in them. It’s not just shoving a tube down a throat and presto, the person is saved. They need to be monitored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

otnomart wrote: »
    Patients from Bergamo in Northern Italy have been transferred to Tuscany and even Puglia and Sicily (by military plane) to be treated in ICUs there.
    https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/03/15/news/coronavirus-pazienti-da-bergamo-al-sud-con-un-volo-militare-1.38593783

I think they are playing a dangerous game there. I guess they are taking precautions, but they are taking a risk of spreading the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭threeball

Sky showing kids shoving how can I help notes through pensioners doors.

You could fcuk off for a start and stop shoving snot covered slips through my door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think he will just change course next week and at the end of the day the U.K. will be the same as other European countries: containment but starting too late. No better but no worse.

Will be interesting to see.what sort of BS he trots out.to cover for the mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The UK must be regretting Brexit:

The EU has announced restrictions on exports of masks and other protective medical equipment as it seeks to ensure its own supplies for the fight against the coronavirus epidemic.

"We adopted today an export authorisation scheme for protective equipment. This means that such medical goods can only be exported to non-EU countries with the explicit authorisation of the EU governments," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in a video posted on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Well straightaway, having a balanced rational debate over the pros and cons is unlikely since the 'stupid' Brits as you put it, are wrong in your eyes every which way they go. I'm saying there isn't a complete right way or wrong way of fighting this. But it has to be fought somehow. We're looking at economic ruin or at best, recession, in a few months, that's very likely. Lives matter, above all else, but getting the country back running also needs to be planned for.

Agree - it is certainly not pig ignorant. It is certainly a big gamble, though.

If their understanding and prediction of the path of the virus turns out to be correct then they will feel thy have won. That is, if the virus returns in a new wave later in the year and they largely escape because of herd immunity, while the rest of Europe goes under again with even more deaths. But if that doesn't happen it will look a disastrous choice. In any event, it will be very difficult for them to see it through in the meantime because of the short-term human cost and the pressure of public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So you can now use yourself as a prime example of fake news and posting a feed saying live music when there wasn't anymore.
    But there was when he posted it. It made me smile.

scamalert wrote: »

yes a ventilator isn't going to necessarily save a person.

it's just obviously such a heightened emotive subject around having to choose who would get access to one or not due to shortages

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30558-4/fulltext
    Not only capable of causing pneumonia, COVID-19 may also cause damage to other organs such as the heart, the liver, and the kidneys, as well as to organ systems such as the blood and the immune system.3, 4, 5 Patients eventually die of multiple organ failure, shock, acute respiratory distress syndrome, heart failure, arrhythmias, and renal failure.5, 6 We should therefore pay attention to potential multi-organ injuries and the protection and prevention thereof in the treatment of COVID-19.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Alright wrote: »
    I was surprised today when I went for a drive. I went expecting a ghost town but I was very wrong. Driving along the Clontarf seafront and onto Causeway Road the place was as full as any good summers day. Ireland has been asked to practice social distancing but as of yesterday the country was also given slightly contradictory messages that we can continue to spend time outdoors, by yourself or with your kids - walking or playing in open spaces are both safe as long as respectful social distancing and hand hygiene are maintained.
    In other news A the mob are mostly blissfully stupid and/or over attached to what is normality and routine. It's a comfort blanket for many, if not most in the face of a possible threat. Doubly so with an invisible enemy they can neither see nor in most cases understand. I'd nearly be willing to bet the scenes like that are actually up rather than down compared to this time last year. It certainly wouldn't surprise me.

I can certainly understand families with young kids feeling cooped in and pooped out from buying bogroll by the gross thinking let's go outside for some fresh air. That's very understandable. However anyone who drove to somewhere like that and didn't think "eh hang on, this is probably a risk to me and mine and others" and drove home(like an earlier poster who clearly has good sense did), is - and I make no exceptions nor apologies for thinking and saying it - a 100% 24Kt dribbling fucking imbecile. It would be bad enough if the virus took them out(though I'm morally debating the badness in my head), but the sadness is it is just as likely to kill non imbeciles, especially those in the frontlines in emergency and health services who will have to deal with their recklessness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DubInMeath wrote: »
    We've cancelled major public events.

They are still allowing half marathons etc
    They have shut down sports - from tomorrow! Rugby being played this weekend as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Exactly. At 1st glance yes the Brits are taking a ridiculous approach.
    But looking at the issue from a future point of view we don’t know which approach is right until next year.
    Come next January we can look at Ireland vs England and see who made the right call

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

FTA69 wrote: »
    The UK is asleep at the wheel. I work for a large UK union and they’re insisting on sending us to work in Heathrow regularly; one of my colleagues is already in isolation with a dry cough and shallow breathing. We’re in deep sh*t here I think.

Yeah, looking at the UK is like looking at a train wreak in slow motion, scary.

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement